+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new information on the latest announced travel restrictions please post here

JohnnyToronto

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
So it seems that the federal gov't is trying to deter vacations and travel away from Canada by creating an expensive reason to stay home. Now those arriving to Canada from int'l destinations will have to quarantine for up to 3 days at a gov't designated hotel at a cost close to $2000 PPREPAID to wait for a negative test they administer when you get off the plane.
This is in addition the already required negative PCR test before boarding an international flight to Canada.

If the status changes or any news related to this comes out, please update this thread so we can all stay in the loop for eligibility that PR residents or TRV will be allowed to land without this 'penalty' placed upon them which isn't what the restrictions were meant for.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
So it seems that the federal gov't is trying to deter vacations and travel away from Canada by creating an expensive reason to stay home. Now those arriving to Canada from int'l destinations will have to quarantine for up to 3 days at a gov't designated hotel at a cost close to $2000 PPREPAID to wait for a negative test they administer when you get off the plane.
This is in addition the already required negative PCR test before boarding an international flight to Canada.

If the status changes or any news related to this comes out, please update this thread so we can all stay in the loop for eligibility that PR residents or TRV will be allowed to land without this 'penalty' placed upon them which isn't what the restrictions were meant for.
Presumably the $2k would be for a 14 day stay. Not going to be using $700 a day hotels.

Reactions: rrss13

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019

ghrimm

May 3, 2018
My question is about those people transiting through Vancouver to another city. If I'm going to Winnipeg, and my port of entry is Vancouver, do I quarantine in Vancouver for the 3 days? If I'm negative I get to take the flight to Winnipeg where I will need to do another PCR test and quarantine for 14 days?

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
My question is about those people transiting through Vancouver to another city. If I'm going to Winnipeg, and my port of entry is Vancouver, do I quarantine in Vancouver for the 3 days? If I'm negative I get to take the flight to Winnipeg where I will need to do another PCR test and quarantine for 14 days?
If you are negative you'd be allowed to leave and complete the remainder of the quarantine in your final destination. In other words, yes you may be able to board your connecting flight. Post flight PCR is only for incoming international travelers

Unofficial: Those with negative test results will be able to quarantine for the rest of the mandatory two weeks at home, while those with positive tests will isolate in designated government facilities.

ghrimm

May 3, 2018
If you are negative you'd be allowed to leave an complete the remainder of the quarantine in your final destination. In other words, yes you may be able to board your connecting flight. Post flight PCR is only for incoming international travelers

Unofficial: Those with negative test results will be able to quarantine for the rest of the mandatory two weeks at home, while those with positive tests will isolate in designated government facilities.
Right, but that doesn't guarantee I will make my connecting flight on the same day if I have to possibly wait up to 3 days for the results. So when do I book my trip to Winnipeg? Given I'm negative, stay the full 3 days then fly?

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
Right, but that doesn't guarantee I will make my connecting flight on the same day if I have to possibly wait up to 3 days for the results. So when do I book my trip to Winnipeg? Given I'm negative, stay the full 3 days then fly?
Correct and we do not have complete information at the moment. If they make us cancel, they'd have to make arrangements to re-book for us. Only thing known is that after 3rd Feb you'd have to land on one of those 4 airports.

Official advisory:
As soon as possible in the coming weeks, all air travelers arriving in Canada, with very limited exceptions, must reserve a room in a Government of Canada-approved hotel for three nights at their own cost, and take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival at their own cost. More details will be available in the coming days.

Reactions: Lisaexpat

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But if they don't have money you have to pay ?
You have to pre-pay. If you don't make arrangements and pay in advance, you should assume they won't be allowed to board the plane to come to Canada. This is once the policy is fully in effect.

Reactions: Lisaexpat

Alwx

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
But to make it cheaper it's better to skip food service altogether and bring them enough food to last for 3 days

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But to make it cheaper it's better to skip food service altogether and bring them enough food to last for 3 days
There will be no access to the hotels for the general public and no way to bring them food. The entire point of these rules is to keep people completely isolated, apart from limited service staff who will follow specific protocols.