+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any new information on the latest announced travel restrictions please post here

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
But to make it cheaper it's better to skip food service altogether and bring them enough food to last for 3 days
There will be no access to the hotels for the general public and no way to bring them food. The entire point of these rules is to keep people completely isolated, apart from limited service staff who will follow specific protocols.
The point is to discourage travel altogether

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Alwx

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
There will be no access to the hotels for the general public and no way to bring them food. The entire point of these rules is to keep people completely isolated, apart from limited service staff who will follow specific protocols.
Bring them food all at once , leave it at reception , so hotel workers could take it to them

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
If new immigrants are coming to join their partners that's not non essential travel
Non-essential travel is, including but not limited to travel for tourism, entertainment or recreation. So, that means not everything else is essential. I am not trying to discourage you but it is up to the border officer to decide and for the traveller to demonstrate that their travel is really essential.

Alwx

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
It was intended to deter canadians from travelling abroad. Family members coming to Canada shouldn't be forced to spent 2 000 for 3 days in hotel if they have a quarantine plan that will cost them almost nothing. That would be a very dishonest move by the government

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada
It was intended to deter canadians from travelling abroad. Family members coming to Canada shouldn't be forced to spent 2 000 for 3 days in hotel if they have a quarantine plan that will cost them almost nothing. That would be a very dishonest move by the government
It was a logical decision that should have been done prior to last Thanksgiving holiday.

Spring break is coming and due to the current lack of vaccine, they don't want Jet-set partiers zipping away to warm places
and bringing back new virus variants after bingeing on Tequila. Obviously they don't trust everyone will follow the rules and
quarantine at home for 14 days.

Don't think it was a dishonest move but $2k for 3 days in a hotel with a Covid test is a little on the steep side.
Maybe more info to roll out regarding family members coming to Canada?

Reactions: sundeepk and rower

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But to make it cheaper it's better to skip food service altogether and bring them enough food to last for 3 days
How about the travelers bring their own food for the 3 days? No need for anyone to bring them food.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
How about the travelers bring their own food for the 3 days? No need for anyone to bring them food.
Respectfully, I think you've missed the point above: the point is to discourage travel, NOT make it more affordable.

Let's wait and see what the regulations say when published - still not clear how it will work and whether it will apply (and how) to PRs arriving.

Alwx

Star Member
Jun 11, 2020
Respectfully, I think you've missed the point above: the point is to discourage travel, NOT make it more affordable.

Let's wait and see what the regulations say when published - still not clear how it will work and whether it will apply (and how) to PRs arriving.
So it can also mean to discourage PR from coming to Canada?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So it can also mean to discourage PR from coming to Canada?
I haven't seen the published regs and so I don't know; I don't think anyone does yet.

I could speculate and state my personal preferences (as a family of five, ouch), but that won't help anyone.

But the 'can we bring our own food' discussion is missing the point; even if they did let you bring your own instanoodles, it would still be costly. It's clear from the announcement that the real expense is the staffing and special quarantine measures, etc. (Sounds to me like they will take over entire hotel complexes for this, and shut them off for everything else)

I'd also note: keep in mind this is not permanent, and certainly will change/be adjusted as previous measures have. Right now this is a special measure for another peak in covid cases. When and how it will change, I don't know and suspect no-one does - will depend on much else.

Reactions: canuck78 and Alwx

rower

Sep 29, 2020
British Columbia
I haven't seen the published regs and so I don't know; I don't think anyone does yet.
Official: https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/01/government-of-canada-introduces-further-restrictions-on-international-travel.html

As soon as possible in the coming weeks, all air travellers arriving in Canada, with very limited exceptions, must reserve a room in a Government of Canada-approved hotel for three nights at their own cost, and take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival at their own cost. More details will be available in the coming days.

But I agree with @armoured that it will change. Hoping everything eases out by Mar-Apr

Reactions: armoured