+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ANY IDEA for the CANADA EMERGENCY RESPONSE BENEFITS (CERB )

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
What about the people that were working last year but between (unemployed no EI) jobs as the Corona Virus hit?
Everyone should wait till the EXACT Ru!es are published by the GOVERNMENT
That means when one posts a link it's from a GOVERNMENT source , no other place
The 14 day period prior to applying was in the bill that was passed by the Government, so that's a government source, not hearsay
So patience is key
Adding, the government is recalling Parliament to adjust the previous announcement concerning the covid 19
Emergency measures .

Last edited:
Reactions: John_D416

physioindia

Sep 5, 2014
Hello Everyone,
I was working till 31st march 2020 and i gave resignation on 15th on my current job. I got another job and today was the first day and employer told that due to COVID19, i am being laid off until further notice. will i be eligible for any of the benefits like EI OR CERB ? I have earned more than 5k in last year,

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello Everyone,
I was working till 31st march 2020 and i gave resignation on 15th on my current job. I got another job and today was the first day and employer told that due to COVID19, i am being laid off until further notice. will i be eligible for any of the benefits like EI OR CERB ? I have earned more than 5k in last year,
Go thru the links provided, that is why I uploaded them . They give concise information

Last edited:

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
Hey Guys,
Based on Canada.ca website almost everyone who resides in Canada and lost his/her job due to the pandemic and had more than 5000 CDN income in 2019 is eligible.
I came to Canada in March 2019 and did not have a chance to file my taxes. So there was no "My Account" on CRA website for me. If you have not filed your 2019 taxes and came to Canada in 2019, you need to activate your CRA account before applying for CERB starting on April 6.
I called CRA several times and it was extremely hard to get someone on the line. After 3 hours of trying finally I was able to update my account and activate it. Then I will be able to request for CERB through the phone on April 6.
Unfortunately, not all CRA agents know what to do! 2 days before I called and the agent did not know what she was talking about and I could not get a straight answer out of her. So beware of what you need and gather info before calling.

Last edited:

drjyoti

Nov 29, 2017
Hi @scylla,
I've a question related to this topic. I landed in Canada in Aug'19 and started my employment on 30th Jan'20 till 13th Mar'20 and temporary laid off now. I did not earn $5,000 in Canada during this short duration which is one of the conditions for CERB. But, I did earn around $8,000 back home in 2019 i.e. between Jan'19-Jul'19. Do I qualify for CERB in this case? I've shown this $8,000 in my 2019 tax return of Canada as well. Please suggest. Thank you.
To my above question, I think there is clarity from these FAQs mentioned at https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html
that "The income does not have to be earned in Canada, but you need to reside in Canada. " Does that mean one earned foreign income while residing in Canada or I can show income of 2019 earned while I was back home? I did my soft landing in Oct 2018 and final landing in Aug'19. I believe my case is a bit complicated.. can't figure anything :( Am I eligible or not for CERB?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
To my above question, I think there is clarity from these FAQs mentioned at https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html
that "The income does not have to be earned in Canada, but you need to reside in Canada. " Does that mean one earned foreign income while residing in Canada or I can show income of 2019 earned while I was back home? I did my soft landing in Oct 2018 and final landing in Aug'19. I believe my case is a bit complicated.. can't figure anything :( Am I eligible or not for CERB?
Did you or did you not earn more than $5k in the preceding 12 months from March 2020 ?
You have to reside in Canada to apply . Income abroad can be counted prior to residing

drjyoti

Nov 29, 2017
Did you or did you not earn more than $5k in the preceding 12 months from March 2020 ?
You have to reside in Canada to apply . Income abroad can be counted prior to residing
Thanks. I did earn more than $5K in 2019 but at that time I was back home but a resident of Canada as I did my landing in Oct'18 and had gone back to wrap up things. Effective Aug'19, I'm physically in Canada but did not earn anything else.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
The
Thanks. I did earn more than $5K in 2019 but at that time I was back home but a resident of Canada as I did my landing in Oct'18 and had gone back to wrap up things. Effective Aug'19, I'm physically in Canada but did not earn anything else.
Thats fine
As long as the income was in 2019, or in the preceding 12 months of applying for the benefit now in 2020

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you earn 5k CAD while working in Canada for a Canadian employer? When did you earn that money.

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Hey Guys,
Based on Canada.ca website almost everyone who resides in Canada and lost his/her job due to the pandemic and had more than 5000 CDN income in 2019 is eligible.
I came to Canada in March 2019 and did not have a chance to file my taxes. So there was no "My Account" on CRA website for me. If you have not filed your 2019 taxes and came to Canada in 2019, you need to activate your CRA account before applying for CERB starting on April 6.
I called CRA several times and it was extremely hard to get someone on the line. After 3 hours of trying finally I was able to update my account and activate it. Then I will be able to request for CERB through the phone on April 6.
Unfortunately, not all CRA agents know what to do! 2 days before I called and the agent did not know what she was talking about and I could not get a straight answer out of her. So beware of what you need and gather info before calling.

Hi,

I am also in the same situation. How were you able to get the account set up? I also arrived in April 2019 and have been working since then on a contract but didn't get the change to file for taxes yet before I got laid off. I called CRA several times waiting for 3-4 hours and not getting any answer. Please let me know. Thanks for your help.

shahiniamin

Star Member
Feb 8, 2018
Hello everyone,
I have a question about CERB and I hope you can help. The employer shut down the store due to COVID since March 31 and I applied for cerb and received the money. Because the eligibility period is from March 15- April 11, I am worried if I don't belong to this eligibility period and I have to return the money? Btw, in case I made a mistake is that considered a crime?
Thanks

shahiniamin

Star Member
Feb 8, 2018
Based on the information available so far, it looks like the answer is no. Based on the information available so far, it looks like you need at least $5,000 in income within the last year earned in Canada to qualify. I'm sure more program details will be announced when the program officially opens.
It seems the 5000$ income does not apply for the first time application.