+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ANY IDEA for the CANADA EMERGENCY RESPONSE BENEFITS (CERB )

JeyPlus

Apr 12, 2020
Hi everyone i have a question, i am an international student i arrived here on January 2020, my classes beings April the 27th. My girlfriend was working at a restaurant that has been closed due to COVID19 but she did not earn 5000 cad, so she doesn't apply for CERB. Trudeau said that there will be a benefit for students related to CERB, but i got nothing further on that announcement. Anyone knows anything about this? Do i qualify for any help ata all? I am starting to spend my savings so i need to figure out something asap!

Thanks for your answers in advance!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi everyone i have a question, i am an international student i arrived here on January 2020, my classes beings April the 27th. My girlfriend was working at a restaurant that has been closed due to COVID19 but she did not earn 5000 cad, so she doesn't apply for CERB. Trudeau said that there will be a benefit for students related to CERB, but i got nothing further on that announcement. Anyone knows anything about this? Do i qualify for any help ata all? I am starting to spend my savings so i need to figure out something asap!

Thanks for your answers in advance!
No. You elected to come three months before your studies, and wouldn’t have been able to work prior to your studies even if your student permit authorized work . You’d of been spending your savings anyway , and weren’t you supposed to show funds in your account for your first year of expenses prior to arriving ?
As mentioned in another posting , you shouldn’t expect a foreign government to support your expenses when you elected to arrive early . You’re on a study permit , not work

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Personal choice to spend all of your money upfront paying rent for a year in advance when you most certainly didn't need to. You should have budgeted better to support yourself for many months without being able to work, just like all those who found themselves unable to get a job before COVID-19.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just so you know, last week the prime minister reduced the income eligibility for getting CERB to $1000
This isn't quite right. Thought it would be important to clarify the new rules since I'm sure they apply to some people here.

- Income eligibility is still $5,000 for the previous 12 month period. You must have made at least $5,000 in the last 12 months to qualify. That has not changed.
- What has changed is rules around earnings during the eligibility period. The $1,000 is around how much income someone is now making a month. Previously, the rule was that someone must have completely lost their job due to COVID-19 and be making no income to qualify for CERB. The new rule is that you qualify if you are making $1,000 or less per month.

Good luck with your petition.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk
Apr 13, 2020
This isn't quite right. Thought it would be important to clarify the new rules since I'm sure they apply to some people here.

- Income eligibility is still $5,000 for the previous 12 month period. You must have made at least $5,000 in the last 12 months to qualify. That has not changed.
- What has changed is rules around earnings during the eligibility period. The $1,000 is around how much income someone is now making a month. Previously, the rule was that someone must have completely lost their job due to COVID-19 and be making no income to qualify for CERB. The new rule is that you qualify if you are making $1,000 or less per month.

Ahhh....yes, you are right. Thank you for correcting that statement, I appreciate it. Thank you!

Reactions: scylla
Apr 19, 2020
Hi
I came to Canada as permanent resident in Feb 2020 and claimed amount of $14000 of 2019 in my child care benefit to cra.
I got work through an agency but could work only for 3 days as after that the factory was shut down
Do I qualify cerb eligibility

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019

So, does this mean that one can qualify if one earns that per month normally? In my case I have had to stop working because I am done school and my study permit extension hasn't been approved to apply for PGWP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So, does this mean that one can qualify if one earns that per month normally? In my case I have had to stop working because I am done school and my study permit extension hasn't been approved to apply for PGWP.
Sorry - I don't know.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi
I came to Canada as permanent resident in Feb 2020 and claimed amount of $14000 of 2019 in my child care benefit to cra.
I got work through an agency but could work only for 3 days as after that the factory was shut down
No.

Apr 13, 2020
Hi
Hi there,
I think you may qualify since you made over $5000 in 2019 (According to CRA, the $5,000 does not have to be made in Canada) and you stopped working because of COVID19 pandemic in March. However, none of us here work with the CRA so I would suggest you read through the CRA website especially the FAQ section on CERB and the place a call to CRA to clarify before you apply.

All the best and take care!

APaul31

Aug 28, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am an international student and will be graduating this semester and applying for Post Graduation Work Permit. I was working at a lab in university full time for the past 4 months and part time before that. Once I graduate I will not be able to continue working there any more and will need to find a new job (which is very difficult in current situation). Do I qualify for CERB under these circumstances?

Thank You.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi everyone,

I am an international student and will be graduating this semester and applying for Post Graduation Work Permit. I was working at a lab in university full time for the past 4 months and part time before that. Once I graduate I will not be able to continue working there any more and will need to find a new job (which is very difficult in current situation). Do I qualify for CERB under these circumstances?

Thank You.
No, you'd don't qualify