+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ANY IDEA for the CANADA EMERGENCY RESPONSE BENEFITS (CERB )

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I have been looking around the internet for information as to whether temporary workers would be covered and cannot find anything definitive. Regardless of the definition of 'worker', the word 'Canadian' appears everywhere. So...we really will just have to wait and see what it means. I will add that it's interesting that even if I am eligible as a temporary worker, my hours have been reduced to 5 per week which makes me ineligible for the benefit anyway since you must have zero employment income. People like me would be better off not working at all. Crazy system.
If your hours have been reduced due to Covid , and if you qualify for EI have you applied there for a wage top-up ?
And the reason you can't find anything, because it hasn't been set out by the government
Just as Canada has set out plans for its people, have you explored what your country has done ?

Last edited:

JosephQuebec

Mar 30, 2020
If your hours have been reduced due to Covid , and if you qualify for EI have you applied there for a wage top-up ?
And the reason you can't find anything, because it hasn't been set out by the government
Just as Canada has set out plans for its people, have you explored what your country has done ?
Hi and thanks for your reply. Yes, I have looked at EI but the benefit under CERB would be much greater at a flat 2000$, at least from what I can see at this point.

JosephQuebec

Mar 30, 2020
In my case, I'm a temporary worker whose hours have dropped to less than 4 hours per week. According to the rules for EI, I can't apply and according to the CERB, because my income is not zero, I'm not eligible. The system seems patently unfair to workers who still work but at dramatically reduced income. As it stands, I make 75$ per week and am completely left out.

JosephQuebec

Mar 30, 2020
You apply for EI first , not CERB. You don’t as far as from the information I’ve looked into, apply for CERB first . As well, you can only get benefits from ONE program at a time
EI does not have a program for reduced hours other than in very specific circumstances, none of which I qualify for.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi and thanks for your reply. Yes, I have looked at EI but the benefit under CERB would be much greater at a flat 2000$, at least from what I can see at this point.
Whether CERB is more than EI depends on your income. On a weekly average, it is only about 80% of max EI, which is $573/ week.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
EI does not have a program for reduced hours other than in very specific circumstances, none of which I qualify for.
I worked on the EI benefits lines for a time , you want to APPLY and let your claim get adjudicated, versus just saying there’s no program that fits your scenario. More than likely a senior adjudicator will call and want further information. You want to get your information into the system
If you’re on a temporary permit , they will require a copy of that , which you will mail in . Some of the provinces have put together there own benefits , off hand , I know BC , and Alberta have. You’ll have to research Quebec

maurelo23

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
Is this 14 day no income rule new? It doesn’t mention anything on the offical Cabada website, what about if I drive for uber earning less 30% due to covid-19? Should I stop working taking care of myself not working for 2 weeks so I can apply?

petaji

Jun 13, 2017
Calgary
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-02-2017
Nomination.....
10-12-2017
AOR Received.
26-03-2017
Med's Request
28-02-2018
Med's Done....
10-05-2018
Passport Req..
10-07-2018
Hey guys,

I am in quite a different situation. I have been already getting regular EI for the last few months but they are about to stop sending me this money in about 5 weeks. The official website says that even when you didn't lose your job for covid-19, you can still apply for CERB after they stop sending you EI. But the website only mentions Canadians. Does it mean that I am not eligible as a permanent resident?
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2020/03/introduces-canada-emergency-response-benefit-to-help-workers-and-businesses.html

Derrick jeong

Mar 30, 2020
I entered the country last month and have a work permit, but the company has been closed and has not started working. Is this possible get CERB?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I entered the country last month and have a work permit, but the company has been closed and has not started working. Is this possible get CERB?
Based on the information provided so far, no - not possible.

You must have earned at least $5,000 in income in Canada over the last 12 months to qualify.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
https://www.rankandfile.ca/cerb-and-ei-coverage/

It states in the third paragraph that "CERB is inaccessible for undocumented and temporary foreign workers (TWF), newcomers and refugees as well as about 650,000 people who were unemployed before the pandemic began. "
This isn't a government source. It's just some random website. This information cannot be relied upon. All other information sources (including labour lawyers and unions) are saying that TWFs are included. IMO this website is wrong and should be ignored.

John_D416

Nov 13, 2012
What about the people that were working last year but between (unemployed no EI) jobs as the Corona Virus hit?