+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ANY IDEA for the CANADA EMERGENCY RESPONSE BENEFITS (CERB )

ghel

Star Member
Oct 17, 2019
hi good day, anyone here have an idea how to apply for the CERB.
thanks in advance

maurelo23

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
Can somebody confirm if this plan is only for Canadian citizens? What about foreign workers/students self employed after losing their jobs?

Reactions: Augustleo17

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would keep on looking for more information and if you qualify. There are also jobs available that people should consider applying. Grocery stores, Walmart and pharmacies are some options.

tomdadom

Nov 5, 2014
See link to the CERB Bill: https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/43-1/bill/C-13/royal-assent

Defintion of 'Worker':

worker means a person who is at least 15 years of age, who is resident in Canada and who, for 2019 or in the 12-month period preceding the day on which they make an application under section 5, has a total income of at least $5,000 — or, if another amount is fixed by regulation, of at least that amount — from the following sources:
(a) employment;
(b) self-employment;
(c) benefits paid to the person under any of subsections 22(1), 23(1), 152.‍04(1) and 152.‍05(1) of the Employment Insurance Act; and
(d) allowances, money or other benefits paid to the person under a provincial plan because of pregnancy or in respect of the care by the person of one or more of their new-born children or one or more children placed with them for the purpose of adoption.‍ (travailleur)

Hope that helps!

maurelo23

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
See link to the CERB Bill: https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/43-1/bill/C-13/royal-assent

Defintion of 'Worker':

worker means a person who is at least 15 years of age, who is resident in Canada and who, for 2019 or in the 12-month period preceding the day on which they make an application under section 5, has a total income of at least $5,000 — or, if another amount is fixed by regulation, of at least that amount — from the following sources:
(a) employment;
(b) self-employment;
(c) benefits paid to the person under any of subsections 22(1), 23(1), 152.‍04(1) and 152.‍05(1) of the Employment Insurance Act; and
(d) allowances, money or other benefits paid to the person under a provincial plan because of pregnancy or in respect of the care by the person of one or more of their new-born children or one or more children placed with them for the purpose of adoption.‍ (travailleur)

Hope that helps!
Am I a resident of Canada having a Study Permit/Work Permit? It doesn't say PERMANENT RESIDENT though, so what would be my situation here?

Thank you for your help

ghel

Star Member
Oct 17, 2019
Am I a resident of Canada having a Study Permit/Work Permit? It doesn't say PERMANENT RESIDENT though, so what would be my situation here?

Thank you for your help
i think as long as you work in canada doesn't matter if ur a PR or not,

im not sure, that's what i understand since they are getting EI contribution on our salary.

IELTSvictim

Nov 1, 2018
I was wondering if I would qualify for the CERB. I have recently moved to Canada (Dec 2019) through the Express Entry program and I'm now a Permanent Resident. However, I don't have any employment income in Canada since moving here. I do have income in 2019 back in India but that is before I became a PR. As a new immigrant/ Permanent Resident, who is yet to start working in Canada, would I qualify for this program?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was wondering if I would qualify for the CERB. I have recently moved to Canada (Dec 2019) through the Express Entry program and I'm now a Permanent Resident. However, I don't have any employment income in Canada since moving here. I do have income in 2019 back in India but that is before I became a PR. As a new immigrant/ Permanent Resident, who is yet to start working in Canada, would I qualify for this program?
Based on the information available so far, it looks like the answer is no. Based on the information available so far, it looks like you need at least $5,000 in income within the last year earned in Canada to qualify. I'm sure more program details will be announced when the program officially opens.

drjyoti

Nov 29, 2017
Based on the information available so far, it looks like the answer is no. Based on the information available so far, it looks like you need at least $5,000 in income within the last year earned in Canada to qualify. I'm sure more program details will be announced when the program officially opens.
Hi @scylla,
I've a question related to this topic. I landed in Canada in Aug'19 and started my employment on 30th Jan'20 till 13th Mar'20 and temporary laid off now. I did not earn $5,000 in Canada during this short duration which is one of the conditions for CERB. But, I did earn around $8,000 back home in 2019 i.e. between Jan'19-Jul'19. Do I qualify for CERB in this case? I've shown this $8,000 in my 2019 tax return of Canada as well. Please suggest. Thank you.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi @scylla,
I've a question related to this topic. I landed in Canada in Aug'19 and started my employment on 30th Jan'20 till 13th Mar'20 and temporary laid off now. I did not earn $5,000 in Canada during this short duration which is one of the conditions for CERB. But, I did earn around $8,000 back home in 2019 i.e. between Jan'19-Jul'19. Do I qualify for CERB in this case? I've shown this $8,000 in my 2019 tax return of Canada as well. Please suggest. Thank you.
The Federal Government is still fine tuning the actual requirements of this program since it was just announced recently . Everyone will have to wait till it’s actually implemented. You’ll have to wait & see if foreign income earned will be counted in the $5000 . The $5000 figure is for income earned in the 12 months leading up to applying . So Jan-March 2019 income would not apply Do you qualify for EI ? There will be a telephone line to ask questions about this benefit when it’s finalized , which should be early April

Last edited:

drjyoti

Nov 29, 2017
The Federal Government is still fine tuning the actual requirements of this program since it was just announced recently . Everyone will have to wait till it’s actually implemented. There will be a telephone line to ask questions about this benefit when it’s finalized , which should be early April
Thank you, it's wait and watch then. Hopefully it's in favor as it quiet makes sense. If I got my job in Jan and laid off now that doesn't mean I shouldn't be eligible.

JosephQuebec

Mar 30, 2020
I have been looking around the internet for information as to whether temporary workers would be covered and cannot find anything definitive. Regardless of the definition of 'worker', the word 'Canadian' appears everywhere. So...we really will just have to wait and see what it means. I will add that it's interesting that even if I am eligible as a temporary worker, my hours have been reduced to 5 per week which makes me ineligible for the benefit anyway since you must have zero employment income. People like me would be better off not working at all. Crazy system.