+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any good lawyer in Toronto for consultation

Sam_rash

May 12, 2018
I will visit Canada next month for a week or less from the US. I am planning on getting a consultation (free would be great) from a lawyer on my prospective application on refugee claim. I want to share evidence and want to get his opinion on how successful I would be as a refugee claimant. I have a big family including three children. Though I dont have any plan to apply for refugee this year and keep trying to improve my CRS score for FSW, I just wanted to be cautious. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are traveling into the US and Canada and then return to your home country or the US it shows that you don't need asylum. You either need asylum or you don't. You can't plan to seek asylum when it's convenient.

Sam_rash

May 12, 2018
I think I have asked for help on finding a lawyer. Additionally, I have plan only to seek asylum in Canada once my legal stay in the US will be exhausted. Given that I can’t return back to my own country, I will come Canada and stay there on visit visa. Then I will seek asylum. Nothing wrong with that, right? Anyway, the help I was asking for is finding a lawyer in downtown Toronto. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately that's not how the asylum system works. First you would be asylum shopping shopping because you have been in another safe country for quite some time legally. The other issues is that if you have been out of your home country for quite some time you haven't been in recent danger. Lastly if your country is currently unsafe and you enter Canada and don't apply for asylum on your first visit your cases has a lot less chances of success. Claiming asylum is not something you can time. You have to ask as soon as you are in danger not when your status runs out. If you were able to have legal status in the US I would look into ways to continue that status or apply for an economic form of immigration to Canada.

Sam_rash

May 12, 2018
Unfortunately, you have generalized my situation with a most desirable view you can possibly come up with. First in order of your argument, I have been in study visa in the US for last few years. So once my study is over I have to return back to my country. Here comes the second point. I am still writing articles and publish them in our local newspaper on a regular basis and my research here in the US is directly contradict the views of our government. Therefore, when I have to go back to my country after a few years, I have to recount the risk I had gone through and add up recent threat I have received through social media. Given all the previous and newly added information, I would argue that my country was felt unsafe for me; thus, I came to the U.S.- though for study purpose- to escape from the risk. And once the time come to return back, I have to think over the issue and the only good solution I can come up with is filing asylum claim in Canada. And if asked, i can produce some facts why claiming asylum is safer to me in the Canada than in the U.S. Let me know how you feel on my brief excerpt, canuck78?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Canuck is completely right. If you travel to Canada and then back to the US, any future refugee case will most likely be rejected. I am not a lawyer, but I think we on this forum know a bit more about refugee status from experience.But, if you want to see a lawyer and possibly pay, that is your choice. But be careful some lawyers might just tell you what you want to hear for the business.

Sam_rash

May 12, 2018
So you are telling me, if I am to seek asylum in Canada, I have to return back to my native country. After living there for a few months, I should come back to Canada, and then file a refugee claim. That would certainly jeopardize my stay in my country.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
No that is not what we are saying at all. If you are wanting to claim asylum in Canada, you need to do it the first time you enter Canada.

Sam_rash

May 12, 2018
No that is not what we are saying at all. If you are wanting to claim asylum in Canada, you need to do it the first time you enter Canada.
This time I am coming Canada as my University is sending me there to attend a conference. Therefore, nothing is there with my visit related to asylum aspect. I just was thinking to discuss the fact in hand with a lawyer. But maybe after six months, the U.S. immigration system want me to return back to my country. Then given that returning back to my country will jeopardize me and my family, I want to go Canada and file a asylum claim. Is there anyone please tell me how it diminishes my chance of being accepted, nonetheless to say thousands are walking into Canadian Boarder.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Ok if you go for a conference and you go back, you won't get asylum as you are already living in the US. If you don't want to believe the advice, just wait for someone to tell you what you want to hear. Good luck.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The issue is really that you should be asking for asylum on your first visit to Canada if the conditions in your home country are already bad enough that you can't return.

Sam_rash

May 12, 2018
Ok if you go for a conference and you go back, you won't get asylum as you are already living in the US. If you don't want to believe the advice, just wait for someone to tell you what you want to hear. Good luck.
I will come to Canada may be 4 months later and file asylum regardless my previous visits in Canada. Not to mention I have visited Canada three times already for academic purpose. Why filing asylum in future should be contingent upon how many time I have visited Canada and return back to the U.S.. Say, after 4 or 6 months later, my stay in the US will be exhausted. Then, given that I cannot return back to my country due to safety issue, I can come to Canada in the visit visa and file asylum. Please share me if there is any technical issue that may stands on the concept. And that is why, I am looking for a lawyer's consultancy.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
The real issue is you should be asking for asylum in the first safe country you land in and not after completing your education. The fact you have lived in the US without claiming asylum and now your student visa is expiring plan to claim in a different country is an issue. Keep in mind that despite all the rhetoric about Canada accepting refugees from the US recently, the truth is few get to remain in Canada as refugees. IMO, the sensible thing to do would be claim in the US. Having not travelled to your home recently, plus returning to the US after your conference, proof of well founded fear would be questionable. You don’t fit the profile of a genuine refugee.The reality is that you are probably looking at a rejected refugee claim in Canada. Just my 2 cents.
As for a lawyer, try the forum sponsor.