+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any advise is helpful

Arielrose

Jan 6, 2014
Where do I begin. I'm a 24-year-old from the Midwestern United States who last summer. married my Ontario man. Now is time for my first visit after we've been married. I visited him four times last year before I came in June to stay for five months. We got married and I left before my six-month time was up, and now I am eligible to go back. Obviously to get to stay with my husband for that long of a period of time I quit my job and he's more than comfortably able to support me however The married unemployed girl seems like a CBSAs nightmare. I plan on filing out land in beginning of March. I have my medical exam set for the middle of February I have my return plane ticket for February 1st. However I have no job , my husband supports me, I do plan on filing a PR application which I then believe turns it into duel intent. I completely intend to come and visiit, spend my husband's birthday with him and return home to file my PR application. How much of an issue shoukd I expect to have if I was completely honest with border patrol? I'm sure others have had this exact same question, this is a very large forum anybody willing to give me some advice or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Soleil2020

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
I'm not sure what you mean by its becoming dual intent. It seems pretty clear cut that you are married to a Canadian and, as such, you'd like to visit him as much as possible while this excruciatingly long process plays out.

You have to always tell the Border Patrol the truth. Don't volunteer to tell them your life story, but answer the questions they ask you truthfully.

Start your immigration application ASAP. Pay all the fees associated with it early on. This shows you are serious in your intent to immigrate legally to Canada.

Keep your documents related to your immigration application process with you at all times when you are crossing the border.
I'm assuming you are applying for your husband to sponsor you. Once your husband is approved as a sponsor, this document is very important for AGAIN showing them at the border that you are legitimately going through the proper channels to immigrate to Canada.

Also, ALWAYS have your marriage certificate with you when you cross. ( not your marriage license..your actually marriage certificate.)

Purchase travel health insurance for your time that you are will visit and have that documentation ready to show them at the border. Also, keep any documentation that will show you still have ties in the USA. Perhaps you could even register for some classes ( if that interests you at all ) at a local college (in the STATES, not in Canada as that requires another kind of visa altogether )or something for a semester following your trip, and bring your registration receipt with you.

Also, if you can go ahead and purchase a return ticket for the date you plan to return to the States, that will also work in your favor...very much so.

Once you've started the process, hang on for the ride. I've been waiting for over a year now for my application to be finished processing. Going back and forth to and from the States gets old fast. All I want is to be able to finally settle down and call my husband and my apt in Montreal my home too.

One thing you seem to have going for you is that your husband's income is enough to support you both. My case is made more difficult by the fact that my husband's salary is quite meager. One thing is for sure: I didn't marry him for his money. Like you, I quit my job too, so I could be with husband as much as possible in Canada while we wait, so it is really tough.

Good luck to you.

I hope my words have been helpful.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why don't you just...
Apply Outland ASAP and then `visit' your husband for 6 months (which is what most Americans are automatically allowed when they cross the border, unless your passport is stamped otherwise). After 6 months (maybe after 175 days), go `home' for a day and come back to `visit' for another 6 months. There's a decent chance that your Outland application will be processed and approved by then and you would have been with your husband the entire time (but NOT working in Canada, obviously).

Soleil2020

Star Member
Jul 30, 2012
Ponga said:
Why don't you just...
Apply Outland ASAP and then `visit' your husband for 6 months (which is what most Americans are automatically allowed when they cross the border, unless your passport is stamped otherwise). After 6 months (maybe after 175 days), go `home' for a day and come back to `visit' for another 6 months. There's a decent chance that your Outland application will be processed and approved by then and you would have been with your husband the entire time (but NOT working in Canada, obviously).
If she is very lucky, yes, there is a chance it will be done by then. ..but, not to be negative..but it's not likely. People need to know the truth and be prepared for it. The wait is typically quite long. ( 8 months on the low end and 15 months or more on the long end.)

Canadian_belle1

Nov 30, 2013
North Bay, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 4, 2014
Doc's Request.
March 4, 2014 - Rescinded on March 7, 2014
AOR Received.
March 10, 2014
File Transfer...
March 10, 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 27, 2013
Interview........
Aug 11, 2014
Passport Req..
Aug 11, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 11, 2014
LANDED..........
Aug 18, 2014
I think with the issue of dual intent - I think you mean that they will assume you will try to work anyway - I think it will be important to assure them that you are currently in the process of applying for your PR and that you wouldn't do anything to jeopardize this, including working or studying illegally in Canada or overstaying your visitor visa.

If they know you are informed about the rules and regulations, they are likely to believe that you intend to follow the rules and that you are staying in Canada to be with your husband until you get your PR.

Maybe you could apply also for a study-visa? I'm not sure how complicated that is...

Best of luck!

Arielrose

Jan 6, 2014
Thank you all for the quick responses. We plan on filing as soon as I get my FBI background clearance back and like I said I have a medical exam scheduled for the middle of February. From what I understood we send in his application to sponsor me at the same time that we send in my complete application for sponsorship is that still the proper way to do things? Or would it be more feasible for him to submit his sponsor application now and once he's approved then I could submit my application as soon as my documents came in the mail? At least then we would have the first part started and once he was approved we would have a actual document in the immigration process to show border patrol. It is comforting knowing that if I am honest and do explain that I intend to play by the rules and that I know what they are but I will most likely not encounter a problem. I guess I assumed return ticket or not they figured I would stay with my husband passed my allowed time. It is very very scary to think that one person and a couple questions could keep you from seeing the person you love.