+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ankara Visa Office Applicants Check in here! :)

sahob03

Jan 20, 2020
Since you mention that your case is passed the 1 year process and if you did not receive any update since the pandemic started that means they totally stopped working on our cases. its unbelievable how they are not even willing to find ways to continue work online. i called IRCC a few days ago and they say we have no idea how other visa offices are doing work now you can directly contact them and ask. i said i did and they just sent me an automated general statement, then she said yeah sorry to hear that and i understand its very difficult times for everyone. she said even cases that are being done in canada are now very slow and very limited staff members are working on them. so i have no hope on Ankara especially if you guys who finished your 1 year are not getting any update that means a case like mine that was just transferred to Ankara before pandemic will take forever to get a final decision.
I mean after 2 months they are still giving me lame excuses. how does this even put immigration officers in danger to do work online ??? its not like they have to go meet anyone else in person to do background check or evaluate eligibility. i mean i get it if they dont want to do interviews or passport requests or biometrics yet but for gods sake at least make the god damn decisions and tell us wait for now instead of dropping the whole thing and blaming it on a virus that might never be gone.

sorry for a long response but to make the answer short: no one knows and my hope personally is that someone like you finally comes here in this forum and says i got an update from Ankara (ANY UPDATE on ANY CASE would mean so much right now)
I am in the same boat as you, i have been emailing them and they have the automated email. They are not even replying to emails, i dont know how would the virus prevent them from replying to emails. It is unbelievable, this is the embassy of Canada not a third world country. I really want to find a way to report this and share our experience. It has been more than 2 months. My wife called the vfsglobal in Istanbul, and they told her that there are no news from Ankara regarding when they will open again. However, vfsglobal told her that there is a high possibility that they will open again mid of june.

ARZBAB

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
Hello friends,
Has anyone considered applying for visitor visa while sponsorship applications are on hold? I wonder if the recent exemption for immediate family visitor visa applies to us as well since the requirements of these two are in contradiction, We have applied to bring our spouses permanently to Canada while visitor visa needs to prove a tie to your home country. Any information and experience in this regard is highly appreciated.

pardis.tabar

Star Member
Oct 13, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Hello friends,
Has anyone considered applying for visitor visa while sponsorship applications are on hold? I wonder if the recent exemption for immediate family visitor visa applies to us as well since the requirements of these two are in contradiction, We have applied to bring our spouses permanently to Canada while visitor visa needs to prove a tie to your home country. Any information and experience in this regard is highly appreciated.
Hey there, my sister had a similar situation about two years ago... she applied for visitor visa for her husband before starting the sponsorship process and the file was rejected because of not being tied enough to the home country.
I also assume they wouldn’t issue a visitor visa in our cases because the type of sponsorshit would be changed to “inland” spousal.

Reactions: ARZBAB

EhsRm

Star Member
Mar 10, 2020
Hey there, my sister had a similar situation about two years ago... she applied for visitor visa for her husband before starting the sponsorship process and the file was rejected because of not being tied enough to the home country.
I also assume they wouldn’t issue a visitor visa in our cases because the type of sponsorship would be changed to “inland” spousal.
That's correct. I have been asking my lawyer if either I can leave Canada to stay with my wife for the time being, or if she can apply for visitor visa, or even if we both decide to go to a third country for some time. Lawyer said if you decide to leave or even if she can get a visitor visa to come here (which is almost impossible) then immigration requires a set of other documentation that we did not initially submit with your application.
So yeah, even if your spouse can get a visa during this messed up time then your case will be even more complicated and probably more delay to get a final decision.
i guess we can only go visit them for a short time until we get final approval and even that is not so easy with this pandemic chaos.

ARZBAB

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
@EhsRm , @pardis.tabar thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.
I wouldn't compare the visitor visa conditions of two years ago with current situation as the new exemption is set exclusively for immediate family because of COVID-19 so I don't see it impossible (maybe I'm wrong). I agree that changing from outland to inland application may add to the complexity, but the question is when they are going to start working on our cases again. tomorrow? 3 months? 6 months? If they reject the visitor visa, nothing will change but if I get the visa, which will take ~2,3 months to get the approval, and our PR applications be still on hold at that time I will definitely prefer more complexity to my case rather than waiting more.

EhsRm

Star Member
Mar 10, 2020
@EhsRm , @pardis.tabar thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.
I wouldn't compare the visitor visa conditions of two years ago with current situation as the new exemption is set exclusively for immediate family because of COVID-19 so I don't see it impossible (maybe I'm wrong). I agree that changing from outland to inland application may add to the complexity, but the question is when they are going to start working on our cases again. tomorrow? 3 months? 6 months? If they reject the visitor visa, nothing will change but if I get the visa, which will take ~2,3 months to get the approval, and our PR applications be still on hold at that time I will definitely prefer more complexity to my case rather than waiting more.

I been thinking about that as well my friend. from our perspective that totally makes sense. problem is they will not admit the fact that our spouse's PR applications are on hold even though clearly that is the case. so using that argument as an excuse, in my understanding, will not be enough for them and we still need to prove that this is just about a temporary visit.

https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/turkey-turquie/offices-bureaux/2020-05-disruptions-interruption.aspx?lang=eng

im sure you read this and this means we are eligible to apply for visitor visa for our spouses through email and online services. so yes its obviously worth trying. i just have no idea how the process might be. i mean wouldn't they ask for biometrics, police certificate and all that?

here says:
"Applicants who are in a situation described and who need to urgently travel to Canada for an essential (non-discretionary) purpose, can email IRCC Ankara at ANKRAIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca for instructions. All other applicants must apply online. "

has anyone tried ?

pardis.tabar

Star Member
Oct 13, 2019
Toronto, Canada
The Visa Application Centre in Ankara will re-open for business on Wednesday, 8th July and will provide the following limited services until further notice.

• Biometrics collection for Biometric Instruction Letter holders only
  • Return of decision envelopes to applicants. Your decision envelope will be returned to you via the courier service offered by the VAC. Collection of decision envelopes in-person at the VAC is not permitted until further notice. Please refer to the “Buy Services” page of this website for further information on courier services offered by the VAC.
  • Permanent Resident Travel Document intake (via post/courier only). Submission of PRTD applications in person at the VAC is not permitted until further notice.
  • Submission of passport upon receipt of passport request letter from IRCC (via post/courier only) Submission of passport in person at the VAC is not permitted until further notice.
The Opening Hours of the VAC will be as follows, until further notice:

• Business Hours: Wednesday – Friday (only two working days): 8:00 – 16:45

EhsRm

Star Member
Mar 10, 2020
The Visa Application Centre in Ankara will re-open for business on Wednesday, 8th July and will provide the following limited services until further notice.

• Return of decision envelopes to applicants. Your decision envelope will be returned to you via the courier service offered by the VAC. Collection of decision envelopes in-person at the VAC is not permitted until further notice. Please refer to the “Buy Services” page of this website for further information on courier services offered by the VAC.
  • Permanent Resident Travel Document intake (via post/courier only). Submission of PRTD applications in person at the VAC is not permitted until further notice.
  • Submission of passport upon receipt of passport request letter from IRCC (via post/courier only) Submission of passport in person at the VAC is not permitted until further notice.

This is great news !!! Thank you so much for sharing

BehBeh2

Star Member
Oct 8, 2014
COVID-19 update: IRCC resuming processing of online applications for visitor visas and eTAs, but travel restrictions remain
Ottawa, June 30, 2020 – As of July 1, 2020, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will once again process online applications for visitor visas (including transit visas) and electronic travel authorizations (eTAs), to the extent possible.
Resuming processing and making final decisions where possible on visitor applications will help IRCC ensure future processing times aren’t significantly impacted and help expedite people’s travel when the travel restrictions are lifted.
However, due to current travel restrictions, applicants should keep in mind that, even if they apply and get a visitor visa or eTA, most people will not be able to travel to Canada at this time.
IRCC also continues to process study permit and work permit applications submitted online and permanent residence applications, to the extent possible. Paper applications for visitor visas, study permits and work permits will not be processed until further notice.
Measures have been put in place to make sure applicants have the time they need to complete all the steps in the application process, including giving their biometrics. Some visa application centres (VACs) are starting to reopen. Applicants can check the website for info on the VAC closest to them, so they can book an appointment to give their biometrics as soon as they’re able.
Those who are eligible to travel to Canada at this time must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when they arrive in Canada. This is mandatory, even if they have no symptoms. Those who don’t have a plan should not travel to Canada.
We’ll continue to provide updates on further processing changes, including when the travel restrictions will be lifted.

ARZBAB

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
I been thinking about that as well my friend. from our perspective that totally makes sense. problem is they will not admit the fact that our spouse's PR applications are on hold even though clearly that is the case. so using that argument as an excuse, in my understanding, will not be enough for them and we still need to prove that this is just about a temporary visit.

https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/turkey-turquie/offices-bureaux/2020-05-disruptions-interruption.aspx?lang=eng

im sure you read this and this means we are eligible to apply for visitor visa for our spouses through email and online services. so yes its obviously worth trying. i just have no idea how the process might be. i mean wouldn't they ask for biometrics, police certificate and all that?

here says:
"Applicants who are in a situation described and who need to urgently travel to Canada for an essential (non-discretionary) purpose, can email IRCC Ankara at ANKRAIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca for instructions. All other applicants must apply online. "

has anyone tried ?
No one really knows how this is going to work. However, in the link that you provided, it is clearly declared that they are ONLY processing some specific applications and our PR applications are not one of them.
See the link below, it gives more detailed information:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html

more importantly is this following:

"If you’re travelling to Canada from outside the US
You must be both

Exception: An immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is staying in Canada for at least 15 days is exempt and can travel to Canada for any purpose."

So our immediate families do not even need an essential reason to travel!
About the documents, they only need biometrics and if you have already done it for your PR application, you don't even need that. What remain is just a couple of forms, invitation letter, purpose of travel, proof of relationship and financial support. Add to it a 14 day quarantine plan.
All these being said, I do not know how it will go but I applied. Also, there was a deadline to apply under these circumstances which was June 30. I do not understand why and if they have extended it.
It seems they are finally planning to start doing some work but still not clear to me. I am in my 12th month and still waiting for the medical!

EhsRm

Star Member
Mar 10, 2020
No one really knows how this is going to work. However, in the link that you provided, it is clearly declared that they are ONLY processing some specific applications and our PR applications are not one of them.
See the link below, it gives more detailed information:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors-foreign-workers-students.html

more importantly is this following:

"If you’re travelling to Canada from outside the US
You must be both

Exception: An immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is staying in Canada for at least 15 days is exempt and can travel to Canada for any purpose."

So our immediate families do not even need an essential reason to travel!
About the documents, they only need biometrics and if you have already done it for your PR application, you don't even need that. What remain is just a couple of forms, invitation letter, purpose of travel, proof of relationship and financial support. Add to it a 14 day quarantine plan.
All these being said, I do not know how it will go but I applied. Also, there was a deadline to apply under these circumstances which was June 30. I do not understand why and if they have extended it.
It seems they are finally planning to start doing some work but still not clear to me. I am in my 12th month and still waiting for the medical!
I'g glad you made it before the deadline. hope you get approved. for my case, we are only half way through the process but they asked for Medical after 2 months and we did that already but never got Biometrics letter. its just very different on every case which is odd but anyways im just glad they finally started working even tho very limited for now.
my only concern was if Ankara also started working and according to Pardis they will reopen on July 8th for only 2 days a week. since you passed your 12 months i think you should shoot them an email see what they say.
good luck !

oondun

Dec 7, 2019

I received an email on Feb 4th saying:
"This message is being sent to confirm that the Application for Permanent Residence for your relative(s)
has been forwarded to the visa office in Ankara for further processing."

What do they mean by the visa office in Ankara? Is it the Canadian Embassy in Ankara, or VFS Global's office, or any other place?

Will July 8th re-opening apply to my case or this place opening up is different then where my application has been forwarded for further processing?

Thank you!

oondun

Dec 7, 2019
I received this email today:

"
Good day, you have reached the Migration Section of the Canadian Embassy in Turkey. Please note that due to the current worldwide pandemic and the current travel restrictions to Canada, our office is only providing essential services. We appreciate your patience as we monitor a fluid situation in regard to travel to Canada.

If you have applied for permanent residence to Canada (family sponsorship, skill worker, etc.) note that your application is on hold until further notice.

Regards,

Immigration Section

(FBM)
"

EhsRm

Star Member
Mar 10, 2020

"
Good day, you have reached the Migration Section of the Canadian Embassy in Turkey. Please note that due to the current worldwide pandemic and the current travel restrictions to Canada, our office is only providing essential services. We appreciate your patience as we monitor a fluid situation in regard to travel to Canada.

If you have applied for permanent residence to Canada (family sponsorship, skill worker, etc.) note that your application is on hold until further notice.

Regards,

Immigration Section

(FBM)
"
Yeah so at least they updated their automated reply with the last sentence clearly stating our cases are on hold. So thats been going on since pandemic started which means we already have about 3+ months of delay on top of the 12 months wait since you apply. As far as i know it mostly takes longer than 12 months overall to get a passport request and thats before pandemic timeline.
You mentioned your file was transferred to Ankara on Feb 4th thats pretty much close to when i got the email as well. Whatever you've got done before that date was just some basic work of processing, only to prepare your file to be transferred to a visa office where all the important decision making process happens. From there they might or might not need more supporting documents, interview, background check, police report, medical and bio (if u havent got em done already) and things like that before they make a final decision. IRCC will no longer have any useful information on your case once it moves to a visa office, so apparently all we can do is to wait and hope Ankara starts working on family sponsorship applications like before but that seems far away from now. Yet its good to know they at least want to respond to people whos applications were almost done. I guess that includes people who already got their passport requests or biometrics request right before pandemic started and didnt get a chance to take care of them. Im hoping as more visa offices reopen they slowly add family sponsorship to their priority list.
Hope these answered some of ur questions.
Good luck !

Sarahkaswer

Star Member
Jul 1, 2020

"

Regards,

Immigration Section

(FBM)
"
Me too, I got this email last week