+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

And this is why you should not vote Conservatives in the Future!

H

humpakwatan

http://www.embassymag.ca/page/view/immigration-10-05-2011

While 150,000-plus wait, few parents and grandparents are accepted
Last year, Canada could have let in up to 18,000. It accepted 15,324.

By Kristen Shane
Published October 5, 2011

Opposition MPs are disturbed that Canada barely hit the low end of its target admission rate for grandparents and parents as permanent residents to Canada last year, while more than 150,000 lingered in line.

Two top bureaucrats from Citizenship and Immigration Canada took MPs on the immigration committee, who are mostly new to the committee, through a kind of Immigration 101 departmental briefing on Sept. 29.

They told MPs about the government's levels plan, a guide the immigration minister tables in Parliament each year on or before Nov. 1 that includes the number of foreign nationals projected to become permanent residents in the following year, and a range for each category of permanent resident.

Liberal MP Kevin Lamoureux, his party's immigration critic, noted that the department's 2010 immigration levels plan had a target admission rate of between 15,000 and 18,000 in the parents and grandparents category. Canada accepted 15,324 applicants.

Meanwhile, by the end of 2010, 150,965 applications were waiting to be processed in that category. That backlog ballooned to 165,000 as of March 2011.

The government has set the bar lower for this year. The 2011 admission range is 13,000 to 17,500.

The grandparents and parents category is not the only one where the government missed its high target in 2010. According to CIC statistics released in September, the admission rates fell below the upper ends of the ranges set in the levels plan for almost all non-economic classes of immigrants to Canada. That includes other family-class immigrants such as spouses and children, as well as refugees.

But the government exceeded its maximum targets in almost all economic immigrant categories. In 2010, Canada accepted 280,681 immigrants in total, the highest level since 1957, exceeding its 265,000 maximum target. The extra admissions all came from the economic side.

The government's emphasis on admitting economic immigrants is no secret.

"Everything I've tried to do over the past three-and-a-half years has been focused on making immigration work better for the Canadian economy and making the Canadian economy work better for immigrants. So that's really the number one focus," Mr. Kenney told Embassy late last month.

'And, of course, they're dying'

Looking past the numbers, the backlog in the grandparents and parents category, in human terms, is distressing to some MPs.

The CIC website estimates that it's taking staff currently 48 months to assess sponsors in Canada and up to another 55 months to assess the person being sponsored.

"These are the kind of numbers that I think all of us MPs see in our office all the time when people come in and say it's taking eight, nine, 10, 13 years to sponsor parents," said NDP immigration critic Don Davies, in the committee meeting. "And, of course, they're dying."

In responding to Mr. Lamoureux's question why Canada fell short of its high target for the grandparents and parents category, Les Linklater, assistant deputy minister for strategic and program policy, explained that applicants sometimes contribute to delays between the first and second steps of the process.

"Once our processing centre in Mississauga actually releases a sponsorship to our overseas network, it can take any number of months for [applicants] to actually respond to our request to fill out our application forms completely, provide supporting documentation, do their medicals," he told the committee.

Dawn Edlund, associate assistant deputy minister for operations, added that because CIC staff end up spending a lot of time chasing after applicants to get the documents they need to make decisions, the department has moved to stop "babysitting files." The department encourages applicants to give the completed application up front, and if they don't do that, they must start again.

CIC is also updating the way it processes immigration applications by using technology, and moving files from place to place rather than people. That's helping to streamline the process, said the officials.

They are working toward a service standard in the spouse or common-law partner category to process 80 per cent of applications within 12 months. But that service standard doesn't apply to the parents and grandparents category.

Mr. Kenney has acknowledged the backlog and said during the last election campaign that a Conservative government would admit more parents and grandparents in 2011 than the 15,324 admitted in 2010. He is also about to start stakeholder consultations about developing an action plan for faster family reunification.

"I'm not going to include or exclude any remedies," he said.

But he added that last year, nearly 40,000 people applied in the parents and grandparents program. "We cannot realistically admit 40,000 parents and grandparents. That would end up displacing economic immigrants. And I think it's hard to justify a huge increase in admissions for people who will be dependents."

He said all of the economic research he's seen indicates that older immigrants "constitute a net fiscal burden on Canadian society."

But others including NDP immigration committee member Jinny Sims, question that.

"I've got many families living in my riding where one of the partners would love to be able to go out to work," she said in an interview with Embassy. "And if they knew that the parents, the grandparents, were there to look after the children, they would have that security and they would gladly go out to work. And that would add to our economy. And happy families are more productive in their workplace."

Queen's University law faculty associate dean Sharryn Aiken said the assumption that family-class immigrants don't benefit Canada economically is flawed because it uses a short-term time horizon. In the long term, she said, "They are contributing to the success of that family's settlement and integration, for the family that's here already."

Plus, the system is already set up to ensure parents and grandparents are not an economic burden on Canadian society. Sponsors and applicants have to have enough money in their bank accounts to support applicants, she said. And the government has the legal tools to go after defaulting sponsors if need be.

She said the government should do fact-based research to help it determine the correct immigration levels and mix.

To clear up the backlog the government must devote appropriate resources to ensure it can process the applications in the queue in a timely way, she said.

"Clearly, without intake control at the front end we will continue to have these types of challenges where processing times grow," Mr. Linklater told MPs. "I think that's one of the key lessons that ministerial instructions have showed us in the skilled worker category, in that by restricting intake we have been able to work through the backlog that much more quickly."

In 2008, Mr. Kenney issued instructions to visa officers to prioritize the intake of skilled workers from a select list of high-demand jobs, or people with job offers or are already living in Canada.

One of the questions the department floated to participants in summer consultations on the right immigration mix and levels for Canada was whether the immigration minister should use his authority to instruct visa officers to limit intake in other categories, such as parents and grandparents.

When asked whether Mr. Kenney should use ministerial instructions to limit the intake of the grandparents and parents category, Conservative MP and immigration committee member Chungsen Leung said, "I think it warrants serious consideration."

Ms. Sims disagreed. "I would be very disturbed if in Canada we started to use those kind of policies," she said. "Because what are we saying then? We're doing to pick and choose which families can live together? We're going to pick and choose whose parents get to come to join them, or whose grandparents? Which child gets to enjoy their grandparents?"

She says the solution is to use the fees the government collects from applicants to get rid of the backlog, and then look at more long-term solutions. That means hiring more staff, she said.

For his part, Mr. Kenney said he wouldn't want to prejudge the outcome of his upcoming backlog consultations.

Meanwhile, the immigration committee started an eight-hearing study on system backlogs this week.

kshane@embassymag.ca

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well I still vote conservatives and plan to do so tomorrow in the provincial election every governement has their flaw and I personally am not gonna say because of the Conservatives we have a long wait time nope its people who abuse the system and if anything it should be equal across the board my VO is 17mths and I personally have no issue waiting 17mths as thats more trips for me to Jamaica thats my 2 cents ;D ;D

Mrs. Turan

Mar 11, 2010
Vancouver Island, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
The Canadian Embassy, Ankara, Turkey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2010
File Transfer...
06-05-2010
Med's Request
29-07-2011
Med's Done....
20-08-2011
Interview........
23-06-2010
Passport Req..
09-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2011
LANDED..........
25-12-2011
Crazy that they would choose to do a study on backlogs. Crazy and funny, not funny haha, either. When I think about how long me and my husband have been at this, almost 2 years, it makes my blood boil. To try and find out what the heck is going on? and I can't, it is so depressing.
After all these months of putting my faith in Canada Immigration, I can't help but feel hopeless about it. Yes I'm sure my husband will get his PPR soon, and then his Visa, and then he'll be here, but I will never forget what we went through. This has been a nightmare experience.
I believe it is because of our Conservative government why this is lagging. If it wasn't for my MP, I would never know what was going on with our case. Canada Immigration have never really been in contact with us at all, though they have chosen to answer to my MP, about my inquiries. And even he spoke to me about the massive "backlog" that is occurring with Canada Immigration, after apologizing to me profusely for what we are experiencing.
It's just so sad, and I know I'm not the only one, and there are so much worse cases. But from my perspective, it's hard to justify this to my husband, though he is moving to a beautiful country, with a better quality of life, and more rights for everyone here. Yes it's worth it, but it's not a real healthy situation for a newly married couple. Had I known what we were in for, I might have stayed there in Turkey and gone about this in a different way. Foolish me, I thought it would have been easier to bring my husband into Canada to start our lives.

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
06-12-07/09-24-08/09-27-11
In the four years we have been at this now the conservative mp in my neck of the woods has done FUDGE all for me. However, I was able to get enormous amounts of help from the NDP MP in my aunt's riding.

Conservative MP just toed the effing line. It was actually a little ridiculous.

Sorry for my almost foul language.

Lynn

Mrs Proper

Apr 2, 2011
Visa Office......
kgn
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-20-2010
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
-
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
10-01-2011
Med's Request
redo May 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
oct19,2011
VISA ISSUED...
oct 25,2011
LANDED..........
landed in toronto oct 27,2011
I agree with locolynn, the ndp has done a lot for my immigration situation, I wouldn't vote no other way!!!

leroadrunner

Apr 19, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
AOR Received.
21-12-2011 In Process: 25-01-2012
File Transfer...
21-11-2011
Med's Done....
30-08-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-01-2012
locolynn said:
In the four years we have been at this now the conservative mp in my neck of the woods has done FUDGE all for me. However, I was able to get enormous amounts of help from the NDP MP in my aunt's riding.

Conservative MP just toed the effing line. It was actually a little ridiculous.

Sorry for my almost foul language.

Lynn
Unfortunately I have the exact same experience, when I had a liberal, he would actually do work for me...Now the new conservative just does nothing and repeats the party line.

Definitely do not vote conservative if you want better government services!

M

mrandmrsromero

Yep. My non-conservative MP has been very responsive and overall terrific. The conservative who was in place before him never even acknowledged my call.

If that weren't enough to convince me not to vote conservative at any level of government there is this:
http://www.policyalternatives.ca/publications/commentary/silencing-dissent-conservative-record

And also this:
http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/Feds+silence+scientist+over+salmon+study/5162633/story.html

Not to mention this:
http://youtu.be/lMBMcMf85ow

Combine all that with the fact that I am still recovering from having lived in Alberta during the Reform Party heyday (now known as the Harper Government) and the topic of this thread becomes my mantra. UGH!

Perhaps a Rick Mercer Party would be a good idea :D

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Kedeisha said:
Well I still vote conservatives and plan to do so tomorrow in the provincial election every governement has their flaw and I personally am not gonna say because of the Conservatives we have a long wait time nope its people who abuse the system and if anything it should be equal across the board my VO is 17mths and I personally have no issue waiting 17mths as thats more trips for me to Jamaica thats my 2 cents ;D ;D
I am unable to vote because i'm only a PR, but if I could i'd vote conservative.
There are more important issues to consider than immigration. We don't need a nanny state run by the government which is what the liberals and NDP want. The free market drives the economy.

sahm2boys

Star Member
Aug 9, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2011
AOR Received.
28-12-2011
File Transfer...
16-11-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2012
LANDED..........
05-04-2012
Hi. I'm born and raised Canadian (waiting for my husband in Europe to immigrate). I have to say that the NDP is the ONLY party who is actually working for families! This is not just involving immigration issues either, it's all around. Please please please eductate yourself on the issues BEFORE you vote. Harper has done nothing but harm to Canada.

I want to scream that people are so blind to what he's done to Canada already... he needs to get the hell OUT of parliament! :mad:

whynotharper.ca

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
sahm2boys said:
Hi. I'm born and raised Canadian (waiting for my husband in Europe to immigrate). I have to say that the NDP is the ONLY party who is actually working for families! This is not just involving immigration issues either, it's all around. Please please please eductate yourself on the issues BEFORE you vote. Harper has done nothing but harm to Canada.

I want to scream that people are so blind to what he's done to Canada already... he needs to get the hell OUT of parliament! :mad:

whynotharper.ca
I feel the opposite :)

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pinklady said:
I am unable to vote because i'm only a PR, but if I could i'd vote conservative.
There are more important issues to consider than immigration. We don't need a nanny state run by the government which is what the liberals and NDP want. The free market drives the economy.
I agree most people on here are being biased because they are waiting I am up for a 17mth wait and i still will vote conservatives as I knew going into this I have to wait NDP will bankrupt the country they cannot balance the book and their priorities are the elderely, the liberals went soft on crime juveniles killing people getting off is BS again take immigration out and look at the bigger picture

Danny4450

Champion Member
Mar 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ISLAMABAD - Wife case
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Dec 2010
File Transfer...
27 Jan 2011
Med's Request
Re-medical April 23rd, 2012
Med's Done....
April 24th, 2012
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
April 23rd, 2012 - PP sent on May 1st, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 1st, 2012 .. Alhumdulillah .. Total time = 17 months and 8 days
LANDED..........
Jun 17th, 2012 .. Alhumdulillah :)
pinklady said:
If you had to wait 24 months or more to get your spousal sponsorship Visa and if you/your spouse had a similar experience as other posters in this thread running after MPs to get your other half here, then there is a possiblity you might have considered your suffering and would have a different opinion today.

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Danny4450 said:
If you had to wait 24 months or more to get your spousal sponsorship Visa and if you/your spouse had a similar experience as other posters in this thread running after MPs to get your other half here, then there is a possiblity you might have considered your suffering and would have a different opinion today.
I have 17 months and I still vote for them so really again immigration is what cosumes us now but what about when our spouse is here we need a government that can run a country

Danny4450

Champion Member
Mar 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ISLAMABAD - Wife case
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Dec 2010
File Transfer...
27 Jan 2011
Med's Request
Re-medical April 23rd, 2012
Med's Done....
April 24th, 2012
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
April 23rd, 2012 - PP sent on May 1st, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 1st, 2012 .. Alhumdulillah .. Total time = 17 months and 8 days
LANDED..........
Jun 17th, 2012 .. Alhumdulillah :)
Kedeisha said:
I have 17 months and I still vote for them so really again immigration is what cosumes us now but what about when our spouse is here we need a government that can run a country
I am not sure how deeply you have looked into other issues. But anyone who can abuse their power and cover it up can run a country. I don't know why you think that the Liberals and NDP can't run the Government.