+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

American Completing Landing

coolkanadian

Feb 9, 2011
Good morning everyone. I am hoping you can help me with something.

Specifics: My American wife just received her landing papers. Her medical results expire on March 07, 2016. We were asked if she can complete her landing before this date. She can complete her landing before this date. She currently lives and works in the United States. On her landing papers it stipulates that she must remain in a co-habitable relationship with me for 2 years after becoming a Permanent Resident.

My Question: We were hoping to have her land in Canada and then return to the U.S to tie up loose ends before moving here permanently this summer. Obviously we don't have much choice in when her landing can be completed because of when her medical results will expire. So does she have to remain in Canada after she lands or will it be acceptable for her to return to the U.S for a couple more months working and saving money? If this is not a possibility, do you have any recommendations on what we should do?

Thank you in advance for your time and help!!

Jordan

Zake424

Jul 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2015
AOR Received.
27-10-2015
Med's Done....
20-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 02-20-2015
LANDED..........
Landing on April 18, 2016
I have the same question. ECAS was just updated to Decision Made and hopefully will receive my COPR by mail in the next week or two. I received DM a few months sooner than I expected to. I wasn't planning on "landing" until this summer. I'm currently in Canada with my husband but will be going back home to Texas in less than two weeks. I didn't plan on returning to Canada until around the first of May. I have to coordinate "landing" and getting my car up to Canada. I currently have health insurance in the United States but obviously it won't cover me here in Canada. I'm not sure what Province your in but I'll be living in Ontario and I found this on CIC's website: Requirement for OHIP •be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province....That means I have to land and can't be absent from Canada for more than 30 days out of the first 6 months.

4Canucks

Star Member
Mar 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 29 2015
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
30-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM 11-2-2016
You are allowed to go back and tie up loose ends, there have been plenty of people that hand landed and left the same day. As far as OHIP in Ontario if you aren't going meet the requirement then don't apply for it until you are back for good. However, I would like to hear an experience from an American that recently landed and all the particulars that we should have ready for the border.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Having Condition 51 means that she must live with you for 2 years. Her returning to the U.S. for anything longer than a couple of weeks, could be a problem.

She should contact CIC and see if her COPR expiry date can be extended.