+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AINP - SRS H1B Landing Experience and post landing related activities.

aryank2000

Jun 9, 2011
Its my turn now to share my landing experience. After having waited for almost two years, I got the immigrant visa stamped on all of our passports. We booked flight ticket from PHL to Calgary, with a layover in Minneapolis. Departed on 05/28 at 06:00 AM EST and arrived in Calgary on same day around 11:30AM.After landing in airport, we filled up the form given to us by the airlines in flight. Took the form to the immigration counter, where the guy checked the forms stamped it and asked us to go to the other line. This is where your immigration would be done. Here is how it went
IO: purpose of your visit?
Me: Landing as PR
IO: Give me the landing papers
ME: gave the COPR forms
IO: where you coming from?
ME: Philadelphia
That’s it. He asked us to sign the forms and gave a copy for us. And explained us the rules, meaning, we cant use this form to re-enter, and that I would need a PR card to re-enter etc…

Took the copies and left. Had lunch at some freaky Pakistani place. We couldn’t care less, we were really hungry. And then went to the motel on 16th ave. Rented a car.
The next day, we drove to Banff National Park, Lake Louise, checked out Calgary downtown. Left for US on 05/31.Successfully used AVR during US immigration at the airport. Back to the US..i will return to Canada in a couple of months.
I wanted to post my experiences so that it can help a lot of ppl reading threads and feeling relieved. I was like that myself. Regularly read all the forums all the time. i hope my experience helps!!

lightsinthemist

Star Member
Feb 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-15-2009
Doc's Request.
11-28-2009
Nomination.....
12-07-2009 CIC app 05-15-2010
AOR Received.
08-23-2010
Med's Request
08-23-2010
Med's Done....
09-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-16-2011
cchabert

Thank you very much good sir for the reply.Also appreciate the continous help you have been doing to the people on the forum.

I guess I will have to apply for SIN then because I plan to do an job search back from the US and move once I have a good job . So I guess SIN is required even at the resume stage. So will plan accordingly to land on a normal weekday.

Would you know anything about applying for SIN by postal mail instead of in person ?

Thanks again.

Lights

cchabert said:
No SIN no job, so if you don't planing to move here for good no use to have the SIN right away and put it on a desk drawer, the credit history is build by how do you manage your finances not by keeping a SIN number.

Peace!

albertaorbust

Feb 8, 2009
lifegiver1978 said:
Hi
I'm Planning to travel to Calgary in Augest 2nd week by rental car from Sacramento, if anyone have any experience travelling by Car to Calgary from Sacramento, please let me know your experience.

I have couple of questions, if I rent a car here and drop off in Calgary will the rental companies Ok with that?
Also I need to look for a cheapest accomodation for 1 month, later once I get my PR card, I am planning on moving to some other place in Canada depending on getting a job.

Pl let me know if anyone knows a temp accomodation.

Thanks

You can rent a car one way to Calgary but it is very expensive. better rent a car to return to the same location. You will find very good deals but you will drive for many days.
You DOT NOT get PR cards in 1 Month. It is 2 month approx.

qriousjunta

Mar 30, 2010
lightsinthemist said:
lifegiver and qrious

I am planning to land in July from SFO as well,will be flying into Calgary International and will travel back with AVR.

Regards
Lights
Lights, good. Me too. Are you traveling alone or with your family? Me with family (we are 3) , I am planning for 15 days trip to Calgary , Edmonton and Banff , let me know if you are interested to club our travel plans.

cooldeepforyou

Star Member
Feb 25, 2009
Hi Aryak,
Did they ask for new photos for all family members ?

aryank2000 said:
Its my turn now to share my landing experience. After having waited for almost two years, I got the immigrant visa stamped on all of our passports. We booked flight ticket from PHL to Calgary, with a layover in Minneapolis. Departed on 05/28 at 06:00 AM EST and arrived in Calgary on same day around 11:30AM.After landing in airport, we filled up the form given to us by the airlines in flight. Took the form to the immigration counter, where the guy checked the forms stamped it and asked us to go to the other line. This is where your immigration would be done. Here is how it went
That's it. He asked us to sign the forms and gave a copy for us. And explained us the rules, meaning, we cant use this form to re-enter, and that I would need a PR card to re-enter etc...

Took the copies and left. Had lunch at some freaky Pakistani place. We couldn't care less, we were really hungry. And then went to the motel on 16th ave. Rented a car.
The next day, we drove to Banff National Park, Lake Louise, checked out Calgary downtown. Left for US on 05/31.Successfully used AVR during US immigration at the airport. Back to the US..i will return to Canada in a couple of months.
I wanted to post my experiences so that it can help a lot of ppl reading threads and feeling relieved. I was like that myself. Regularly read all the forums all the time. i hope my experience helps!!

josephdadreamer

Nov 24, 2008
Hi All,

Question about buying a vehicle now here in the US and do landing couple of weeks. Can i do that? If you got some inputs/experience kindly share. Thanks.

jo

tsrikanth

Star Member
Mar 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March-2009
Doc's Request.
Feb-2010
Nomination.....
April-2010
AOR Received.
07-06-2010
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
Yes - Detroit
Med's Request
07-06-2010
Med's Done....
08-07-2010
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
15-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2011
LANDED..........
23-06-2011
Hi Friends,

I am landing in Calgary on 06/22/2011 and returning back to USA (via Buffalo border) on 06/25/2011. Please let me know if anybody is coming from Toronto to Buffalo(i.e: Road) on 06/25/2011 so that I will share expenditures.
I need to reach Buffalo airport before 6 PM on 06/25/2011.

Thanks,
Srikanth

aryank2000

Jun 9, 2011
of course, you can buy vehicle here in US and do landing later. you might have to register in AB and surrender your US license to get canadian license, if you want.

May 9, 2009
I will be doing my landing in early August by flying into Calgary/Edmonton and use AVR back from Toronto into NY/NJ region. I am currently looking out for jobs in Alberta but no luck yet :(. I will permanently move-in once i get a job
From folks here, I would like to know if there will be any problems driving a rental car back from Canada into the US. Also if someone is landing during late July/early August, please let me know.

enna

Feb 14, 2011
Hi...
i'll be doing my landing late july but i'm here in california...

bloretoalberta said:
I will be doing my landing in early August by flying into Calgary/Edmonton and use AVR back from Toronto into NY/NJ region. I am currently looking out for jobs in Alberta but no luck yet :(. I will permanently move-in once i get a job
From folks here, I would like to know if there will be any problems driving a rental car back from Canada into the US. Also if someone is landing during late July/early August, please let me know.

surenderJeet

Nov 24, 2010
Guys I am in Edmonton.

Any one coming to Edmonton?

aryank2000 said:
That's it. He asked us to sign the forms and gave a copy for us. And explained us the rules, meaning, we cant use this form to re-enter, and that I would need a PR card to re-enter etc...

Took the copies and left. Had lunch at some freaky Pakistani place. We couldn't care less, we were really hungry. And then went to the motel on 16th ave. Rented a car.

j0j0

Apr 24, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
2-2011
LANDED..........
6/7-2011 hopefully
Ok Guys! My landing experience. I purchased ticket from JFK NYC to YYC Calgary on June 1. At the JFK was so hilarious, when I passed the security check the door alarm 3 times. So the the TSA officer told me where I want to have a full body check. I told him I want in private room because I don't want to be naked here! The TSA guy told me, "No one gets naked here!" :p So TSA guy check me using the back face of his hands. It's like having a fully body massage :p. Then, when I arrive in Calgary, everything was ok with IO. I filled up the forms and signed the COPR. He discussed about the rules for PR, e.g I have to wait for the PR card before going outside the country. I have to maintain my stay in Canada to able to renew the PR card. After that, I rented Avis car and go straight to the north west hotel where I stay for a week. The next days, I applied SIN, Health Card and converted my US driver license to Canadian Class 5 driver license. While driving around the city, I notice other drivers so polite, the exact opposite of NYC :p. Then, I leased apartment here in downtown where I signed 1 yr contract. After a week, my wife arrived to join with me. Now, I am looking a job in design engg firm while enjoying the beautiful Calgary City.

Sinbad

Star Member
Jun 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 9,2010
LANDED..........
Apr 24,2011
j0j0 said:
While driving around the city, I notice other drivers so polite, the exact opposite of NYC :p.
I guess, how you find the city depends on which state of US you are from.
We coming from Tx, felt that the driving was terrible. The other drivers most discourteous. In Tx,If you put signal to change lanes the guy behind you will slow down to let you in,but here they want to get in front of you. When you are getting in the car in a parking lot, the other guy who has started the car, will wait till you are in the car, but here, they reverse, irrespective of the fact that there is child standing near. Once they even grazed my car seat, which I was holding. In Tx, people wait for you if you are reversing your car, here if there is way to go, they will go. As far as driving scenario, roads and many other things, Calgary cannot hold a candle to Tx.

The only thing I have liked so far is the weather, it is very lovely right now; while in Tx, you will be being broiled and baked all at the same time now.

albertaorbust

Feb 8, 2009
j0j0 said:
Ok Guys! My landing experience. I purchased ticket from JFK NYC to YYC Calgary on June 1. At the JFK was so hilarious, when I passed the security check the door alarm 3 times. So the the TSA officer told me where I want to have a full body check. I told him I want in private room because I don't want to be naked here! The TSA guy told me, "No one gets naked here!" :p So TSA guy check me using the back face of his hands. It's like having a fully body massage :p. Then, when I arrive in Calgary, everything was ok with IO. I filled up the forms and signed the COPR. He discussed about the rules for PR, e.g I have to wait for the PR card before going outside the country. I have to maintain my stay in Canada to able to renew the PR card. After that, I rented Avis car and go straight to the north west hotel where I stay for a week. The next days, I applied SIN, Health Card and converted my US driver license to Canadian Class 5 driver license. While driving around the city, I notice other drivers so polite, the exact opposite of NYC :p. Then, I leased apartment here in downtown where I signed 1 yr contract. After a week, my wife arrived to join with me. Now, I am looking a job in design engg firm while enjoying the beautiful Calgary City.
Jojo
I'm from NYC and also Mech Engg flying back to Calgary next week. I'll PM you my cell # .

kanadatrustee

May 27, 2011
A quick question for everyone.

I was trying look for jobs in Alberta and could only find a few jobs that fit my profile but was able to find a lot of jobs in Toronto area that fit my profile. What happens if I take up a job in Toronto?