+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Age limitation for study permit

pesarak007

Dec 26, 2015
Does anybody know if there is an age limitation for applying for a study permit? I want to apply for study permit for my father who is 68 years old and has received admission form a collage. He is also already in Canada on a visitor visa. Do you think the odds are against getting a study permit for cases like my dad's?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I don't think there is a written age limit. But it will be hard to justify career progress and how fiancially would that benefit for studying in Canada at his age.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Does anybody know if there is an age limitation for applying for a study permit? I want to apply for study permit for my father who is 68 years old and has received admission form a collage. He is also already in Canada on a visitor visa. Do you think the odds are against getting a study permit for cases like my dad's?
If he can show education advancement, career advancement in home country with listed job opportunities (higher pay) to justify costs, ties to home country, his own funds etc. then it is possible. Given he is a visitor and his permit application will be processed from home country, it is harder to show ties to return.

However it seems like your father is trying to stay in Canada long term. Is he on a valid visitor visa in Canada? Or it expired and applied for extension.

pesarak007

Dec 26, 2015
If he can show education advancement, career advancement in home country with listed job opportunities (higher pay) to justify costs, ties to home country, his own funds etc. then it is possible. Given he is a visitor and his permit application will be processed from home country, it is harder to show ties to return.

However it seems like your father is trying to stay in Canada long term. Is he on a valid visitor visa in Canada? Or it expired and applied for extension.
He is on a newly issued visitor visa. I have a business and I can offer him a job once he finishes this program and has a PGWP. then he can get a PR. That is the plan at least. It is very hard to apply PR for him at the moment. I can not even offer him a job without going through the LMIA process and that also has a slim chance of getting approved.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
He is on a newly issued visitor visa. I have a business and I can offer him a job once he finishes this program then he can get a PR. That is the plan at least.
That will not work. Given you are a family member and offering him a job then approval will be very difficult. 1. Do you have a LMIA for the position. You have to show that no Canadians or PR can do the job, only your father. 2. Given his age, even with job offer, will he be eligible for PR. What province?

Reactions: YVR123

pesarak007

Dec 26, 2015
That will not work. Given you are a family member and offering him a job then approval will be very difficult. 1. Do you have a LMIA for the position. You have to show that no Canadians or PR can do the job, only your father. 2. Given his age, even with job offer, will he be eligible for PR. What province?
you are right for cases that do not have a PGWP. once you have the work permit it does not matter if I am family. As long as there is a job offer, it is valid and standing. At the current condition that he is only a visitor, I have to go through LMIA process.
Am I right?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
you are right for cases that do not have a PGWP. once you have the work permit it does not matter if I am family. As long as there is a job offer, it is valid and standing. At the current condition that he is only a visitor, I have to go through LMIA process.
On PGWP, he can work for anyone. But getting PR after PGWP will be difficult as he may not be eligible for immigration programs based on age, education, work experience and language skills.

For PNP, a job offer is possible if eligible but as the employer you still need to show that no one (citizen or PR) could be hired.

He still needs approval for a study permit, which will be a challenge given his age. He needs to justify costs of a program with employment opportunities in home country. If he has a degree then a Masters or PhD. As mentioned, his application is processed outland.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You
He is on a newly issued visitor visa. I have a business and I can offer him a job once he finishes this program and has a PGWP. then he can get a PR. That is the plan at least. It is very hard to apply PR for him at the moment. I can not even offer him a job without going through the LMIA process and that also has a slim chance of getting approved.
You need to concentrate on getting the study permit first. Do you own a business in home country? Will you be able to submit SOP to show career advancement upon returning to HOME COUNTRY after he finishs his study in Canada?

At his age, if you are a PR or citizen, I think it make sense to apply for supervisa so he can just stay as a visitor. Or wait for the next PGP lottery.

pesarak007

Dec 26, 2015
You

You need to concentrate on getting the study permit first. Do you own a business in home country? Will you be able to submit SOP to show career advancement upon returning to HOME COUNTRY after he finishs his study in Canada?

At his age, if you are a PR or citizen, I think it make sense to apply for supervisa so he can just stay as a visitor. Or wait for the next PGP lottery.
I am a Canadian citizen and have been here for almost 25 years and my business is here. It really frustrates me that I employ 18 people in my business and yet can not have my father work with me. We know lottery is very far fetched and supervisa is not much different than his current visitor visa. I want him to have his own house, bank account, credit card, be able to get a driver's license and go to a doctor if he needs to. I am not sure how else I can get a PR for him.:(

Last edited:

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
I am a Canadian citizen and have been here for almost 25 years and my business is here. I really frustrates me that I employ 18 people in my business and yet can not have my father work with me. We know lottery is very far fetched and supervisa is not much different than his current visitor visa. I want him to have his own house, bank account, credit card, be able to get a driver's license and go to a doctor if he needs to. I am not sure how else I can get a PR for him.:(
There were more than 2 parent grandparent programs in the last few years, you could have applied. I know people who applied for their parents.