+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

adding spouse after COPR

paulmathew88

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
I have informed Cic about my marriage with a marriage photograph and marriage certificate .I got reply from CIC requesting me to submit my passport and copr for cancellation. They also requested following set of documents (of wife) for adding wife to my application :

IMM5669 ,IMM5562 TRAVEL INFO FORM,imm008 ,imm5406 ,wife photo , passport copy ,police clearance ,birth certificate ,visa fee payment receipt ,POF , HEIGHT &EYE COLOUR FORM

I have submitted these documents and waiting for Cic reply regarding further steps..
received medical request for me and spouse .3 weeks after submission of requested documents

Reactions: sawab don

sawab don

Star Member
May 22, 2018
Karachi, Pakistan
NOC Code......
thank you so much, so your medicals were also requested because your medicals expired ? I am confused about my case because they responded to my marital status change update after 37 days and asked me submit my copr and passport for cancellation, and they claimed that they will ask for documents of my spouse shorty. But they haven't so far its been more than 2 weeks. My copr and visa has been cancelled.

Apr 8, 2019
Thanks. Okay so I got the response 6 days ago that my case has been reopened and they will be asking for more information shortly. But they haven't asked me for anything yet. Any idea how long will they take? I checked my cic account, and they really have reopened my case but there isnt any request letter.
Hi All,

I'm in a similar situation and stumbled upon this forum post. I happened to get married soon after my PPR and was completely unaware that this would trigger an additional review process. I assumed, naively, that since I applied as a single applicant the change in status would have no bearing on my PR application, and my spouse would need to apply separately under Express Entry.

Below is my timeline.
I applied for Express Entry - FSW
  • AOR: September 18, 2018
  • PPR: January 31, 2019
  • COPR/PR Visa Arrived: March 6, 2019
  • CIC Request Letter: March 29, 2019

I informed IRCC of my plans to get married proactively on receiving the passport request (on Feb 15). I got married on February 22. However, despite repeated communication via web forms and via email to CPC-Ottawa on my change in marital status, I only received a formal Request Letter in my CIC account on March 29, 2019. The request letter states that my COPR/PR visas will need to be return and cancelled, and my spouse will have to be assessed (Background, Security, Medical). There's a list of required documents (PCC, Passport, Marriage Certificate, Evidence of Relationship, Medical) and Forms.

I submitted all these documents and forms on April 8 (yesterday) through my CIC account. Any insight into how long this process might take will be very helpful. Also, do I need to return my passport with COPR immediately, or later on in the process? The wording on the Request Letter is a bit confusing.

Thanks!

paulmathew88

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
Hi ...I think you should submit your passport immediately .In my case they had requested to submit it within 15 days . Where are u located now ? If in India,submit it with vfs ...

Apr 8, 2019
Hi ...I think you should submit your passport immediately .In my case they had requested to submit it within 15 days . Where are u located now ? If in India,submit it with vfs ...
I'm based in the United States. They gave me 30 days to upload all the documents, and I did that within 7 days.

However, the guidance on returning the COPR/PR visa isn't as clear. Here is what the request letter says:

Thank you for informing us of your change in marital status.

Our records indicate that you notified us of this change after we had issued you a Confirmation of Permanent Residence for you and your dependents, if you have any. Please understand that we will require that you return this document as well as your passport(s) with your permanent resident visa(s), if applicable, in order for us to cancel them. You must provide us with these original documents in addition to the other requested documents for us to continue with your application process.

Please be advised that you cannot use your COPR and immigrant visa as they have been cancelled following your message regarding your change in marital status. Once you return the requested documents for your wife, she will be controlled. Then, once your wife is controlled, you will be required to return the cancelled COPR along with your passport in order to be issued new immigration documents.

---

Questions:
1. Do I need to return my COPR/PR visa immediately or later once CIC requests them?

2. How long does it typically take to assess spouse's background, security, medical etc. and receive the new COPR? My spouse has already taken her medical exam and submitted it along with the rest of the documents and forms that were asked for by CIC.

paulmathew88

Star Member
Feb 23, 2017
I'm based in the United States. They gave me 30 days to upload all the documents, and I did that within 7 days.

However, the guidance on returning the COPR/PR visa isn't as clear. Here is what the request letter says:

Thank you for informing us of your change in marital status.

Our records indicate that you notified us of this change after we had issued you a Confirmation of Permanent Residence for you and your dependents, if you have any. Please understand that we will require that you return this document as well as your passport(s) with your permanent resident visa(s), if applicable, in order for us to cancel them. You must provide us with these original documents in addition to the other requested documents for us to continue with your application process.

Please be advised that you cannot use your COPR and immigrant visa as they have been cancelled following your message regarding your change in marital status. Once you return the requested documents for your wife, she will be controlled. Then, once your wife is controlled, you will be required to return the cancelled COPR along with your passport in order to be issued new immigration documents.

---

Questions:
1. Do I need to return my COPR/PR visa immediately or later once CIC requests them?

2. How long does it typically take to assess spouse's background, security, medical etc. and receive the new COPR? My spouse has already taken her medical exam and submitted it along with the rest of the documents and forms that were asked for by CIC.

Please give a call to CIC ottawa and get the information. I dont know it works in US ,where they will ask to submit your passport .So cant give
any guidance regarding it .
regarding 2nd question i guess it will depend on your wife travel history . Getting an exact timeline is quite difficult in case of CIC .
a minimum of 2 months should be expected i think unless there aren't any complications.

ankurgupta325

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
OINP
Hey,

I have a similar case.

Timelines:

Received CoPR in June 2018. PR visa expiry on 23rd March,2019.
Got married on: 2nd December 2018
Informed Delhi-immigration@international.gc.ca: 27th January, 2019
Got reply on: Jan 31, 2019 and they asked for us to submit following:

ASAP :passport and CoPR for cancellation:
Withing 30 days: PCC for both of us, RPRF fee, Application fee, document change fee, IMM8 form , Schedule A form, Additional family information form for both of us, Notarized birth certificate of my spouse, Copy of spouse's valid passport, marriage certificate, few photos of wedding.

Passport and CoPR letter submitted on: 19 Feb, 2019 and collected back on 12 March with cancelled Visa stamp.
Documents submitted: March 1, 2019
Medical request for both of us: 7th March, 2019
Medicals done: 26th March, 2019

Current status: Medicals cleared sometime in first week of April, 2019. EE portal says they are doing background check right now.