+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ACCA-CGA/CPA Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA)

Sam_4321

Star Member
Apr 23, 2020
Yes, I have COPR, but it expired in March. However, IRCC contacted me that they will extend/renew it once the travel restrictions are lifted. So that's not a problem. After expiration, there will be another MRA, I am sure (this is what they are saying on their website anyway). But I am anticipating it to have more requirements, because this is the way things are headed, even with the current MRA (they added some more req. recently). It doesn't matter if you will travel this year or not, if you still want to travel to Canada some day, then definitely apply to get your CPA. Travel restrictions will be lifted some day!! You really don't have a lot of time left, WES would take a month or so to get it done (assuming you have done the ECA and that you just need to upgrade) because if not, then it will take even longer and you won't be able to meet the deadline.
How much credit hours WES allocate to BSC from OBU?

Sam_4321

Star Member
Apr 23, 2020
Your other steps are correct. Regarding mailing option (For CPA-Ontario) you need to ensure that you have selected the recipient from the list and not added CPA manually as by adding manually CPA-Ontario will not be able to view it online; below is the quote of CPA-Ontario requirement of WES report:
"Original World Education Services (WES) credential evaluation report through their International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) for your University Degree(s). This must be provided electronically to CPA Ontario via Access WES, their secure online delivery system. To ensure CPA Ontario can view your WES report online, please add us as a recipient. To add us as a recipient you must enter ‘Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario’ in the Institution or Company field on the WES site – do not manually add our address details as it will not be recognized in Access WES and we will not have access to your report. "

Moving forward, my Wes delivery section for this report is showing below text:

"Due to the pandemic, it is taking longer than usual to mail physical copies of credential evaluation reports. The "Sent Date" currently reflects the date upon which your report was complete. However, it might take a few additional days for us to mail the printed report. If your recipient has partnered with us to receive digital documents, then they have already been sent an official copy of your report. Thank you for your patience. "

As CPA-Ontario has partnered to receive e-copy there is no need to ask for it, you only need to make sure you are selecting it from list because the recipient in the list are registered with WES to receive e-copy.
Hope this helps you..
Hi there!

How much credit hours did you get for you bsc OBU when you get WES ICAP for CPA?

Thanks

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
It is now official. I noticed this in CPA Ontario web page. No more MRA after April 30, 2021 (https://www.cpaontario.ca/become-a-cpa/why-cpa/internationally-trained-accountants/acca-and-cga-canada-mutual-recognition-agreement). An ACCA member has to come as a student and needs to go through their challenge path (https://www.cpaontario.ca/become-a-cpa/why-cpa/internationally-trained-accountants/member-of-accounting-body-outside-canada).

Best of luck to those who are ready to apply for MRA. For us (in fact my wife), road to CPA is done and ended.

NOTICE: MRA EXPIRATION DEADLINE, APRIL 30
The existing mutual recognition agreement (MRA) between ACCA and CPA Canada will expire on April 30, 2021.

Please note: all individuals who submit a complete application and fulfil the eligibility criteria before April 30, 2021, 7:00pm EST will still be considered for admission under the existing MRA.

Questions and concerns related to this MRA expiration can be directed to: member.services@cpacanada.ca.

Individuals who do not meet the April 30, 2021 deadline still have a pathway to membership in CPA Ontario. More information about this pathway can be found on our Member of an Accounting Body Outside Canada webpage.

strongned

Apr 15, 2021
I just got my membership of acca today. I finished all my ACCA exams in Canada, am i eligible for MRA? I saw in the MRA application there was a question asked "Were you a resident of Canada at the time of writing the first part of the normal qualifying examinations of this accounting body?" if I chose "yes", there is a pop up message said my application may declined. I am so frustrated.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
I just got my membership of acca today. I finished all my ACCA exams in Canada, am i eligible for MRA? I saw in the MRA application there was a question asked "Were you a resident of Canada at the time of writing the first part of the normal qualifying examinations of this accounting body?" if I chose "yes", there is a pop up message said my application may declined. I am so frustrated.
Conclusion: If you are in Canada, you cannot enroll to ACCA. However, if you enroll to ACCA and you come to Canada during your ACCA journey, that is acceptable. This is something that is not sated anywhere in their requirement of MRA.

strongned

Apr 15, 2021
Conclusion: If you are in Canada, you cannot enroll to ACCA. However, if you enroll to ACCA and you come to Canada during your ACCA journey, that is acceptable. This is something that is not sated anywhere in their requirement of MRA.
Thank you so much for your reply, I enrolled in ACCA in Canada because back then I didn't have a permanent residence status in Canada, i might go back to my home country. so i found ACCA is more recognized in my home country and it also has a MRA with CPA Canada. I got my PR during the process of studying ACCA. But now after all those efforts, the MRA will expire soon and I found I am not even eligible. They didn't put it anywhere in the requirement.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your reply, I enrolled in ACCA in Canada because back then I didn't have a permanent residence status in Canada, i might go back to my home country. so i found ACCA is more recognized in my home country and it also has a MRA with CPA Canada. I got my PR during the process of studying ACCA. But now after all those efforts, the MRA will expire soon and I found I am not even eligible. They didn't put it anywhere in the requirement.
That is really not what I expected.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
Just an update on this matter, I called CPA Ontario, they said it will be ok to finish all my acca exam in canada in my case to apply through MRA .
In that case, why was there a pop-up window declining your application? tech glitch? Anyway, best of luck you do not have much time I guess.

acllam

Jul 12, 2020
Hello there, has anyone recently got admitted to CPA Ontario but not having resident/immigration proof in Ontario. CPAO asked me for this but nothing I could provide. I then asked whether it is a deal breaker and got a weird answer...like "there is no residence clause in the MRA....but this would be a determining factor for the admission" - so confused.