+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About the job offer for CEC application

Tet83

Jan 10, 2018
Hello,

We are almost ready to apply for PR (finally) but I can't find anywhere what they exactly mean by "job offer".

I am currently in Canada with a Work Permit and a LMIA-exemption (french mobility). For this permit, my employer had to do a job offer on the CIC website, pay $230 and get an exemption number.

Does the job offer they require for PR has to follow the same procedure
- or -
Can I use the same job offer with the same exemption number for my work permit
- or -
Is it enough if I just ask my boss to write a letter saying my employment will continue after I receive PR and it's a permanent position ?

I feel like the more I read the less I know, I always find different information.
At this point, I scored just around 450pts and I would feel more comfortable having a job offer and these extra 50pts, but I may skip it all together if I don't know exactly what they need.

Thanks for your help !

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Going with your information, I assume you are currently on an International Experience Canada - Young Professional permit? If this is correct (or if you have a different work permit that specifies your employer) you can claim the extra 50pts. if:

- You have been working for this employer for at least 12 months
- The job offer is for a NOC 0, A or B position
- The job offer is for the same NOC position that you have been working under in the last 12 months.
- The job offer must remain valid for at least 12 months after you obtain your PR
- The job offer must be for a full-time/permanent position (at least 30hrs/week)

If you indeed can claim points, you will simply need your offer of employment and upload it after you're given an ITA. Your employer does not need to do anything, other than giving you a job offer and signing it.

For expiration date, I would recommend setting it to something like March 1, 2020 (which is what I did) which means that you will easily meet the 12 month threshold as PRs are usually obtained within 6 months. I don't know if it's okay if the offer simply mentions you will remain employed for 1 year after obtaining a PR (someone else should confirm this).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask - I traversed essentially the same path as you with my PR application, and so far have not yet received any feedback about issues with my job offer.

Tet83

Jan 10, 2018
I am not with IEC but it's the same kind of permit, and we had to do the same process.
It could have worked without " You have been working for this employer for at least 12 months" ... I only started 2 months ago -___-
I have the 1 year experience they require but I've had two different employers. So I guess my job offer won't be valid. Plus my passport expires on October 2019, so is my visa, so is my current job offer. I will have my RP by then, and a new passport, but for now, everything I have is valid until October 2019.

I guess I'll try without the job offer, unless someone else has another answer for me that could work.

Thank you very much for your feedback !

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
I am not with IEC but it's the same kind of permit, and we had to do the same process.
It could have worked without " You have been working for this employer for at least 12 months" ... I only started 2 months ago -___-
I have the 1 year experience they require but I've had two different employers. So I guess my job offer won't be valid. Plus my passport expires on October 2019, so is my visa, so is my current job offer. I will have my RP by then, and a new passport, but for now, everything I have is valid until October 2019.

I guess I'll try without the job offer, unless someone else has another answer for me that could work.

Thank you very much for your feedback !
Unfortunately yes, unless you get an LMIA for your job, you will need to have worked for at least 1 year for the employer on your employer-specific work permit. :(

450 pts. is quite a lot though, and you should easily be able to get an ITA - the cut-off has gone down as low as 440 recently.

Tet83

Jan 10, 2018
Honestly, it's driving me crazy... I've redone my points without a job offer and I have 538 now. I must have missed something the first time... Anyways, thank you so much !! At least I can forget about getting that job offer. I can still apply without it, right?

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Honestly, it's driving me crazy... I've redone my points without a job offer and I have 538 now. I must have missed something the first time... Anyways, thank you so much !! At least I can forget about getting that job offer. I can still apply without it, right?
If you have worked in Canada for at least 365 days in a full-time NOC 0, A or B position (min. 30hrs/week), even if it was for several employers, you will qualify for the Canadian Experience Class. You don't need a job offer for this - you could in theory even be unemployed and still apply.

538 pts. without a job offer is very high - are you sure you counted it correctly this time?
EDIT: Nevermind, I figure you probably are scoring a lot of points for language proficiency?

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla

Tet83

Jan 10, 2018
Yeah, I got most of my points thanks to the Language tests - highest scores in French (mothertongue) and I assumed I had 5 everywhere in English - I'm still waiting for the results to apply and should get more but I aimed low.
But I do have one year within the last three years, plus another 2 years in Canada back in 2012 and 2 years overseas.
Once I've gone through ITA, does the number of points still matter? Would I get more chances to be approved with 530 compared to 450 ?

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Yeah, I got most of my points thanks to the Language tests - highest scores in French (mothertongue) and I assumed I had 5 everywhere in English - I'm still waiting for the results to apply and should get more but I aimed low.
But I do have one year within the last three years, plus another 2 years in Canada back in 2012 and 2 years overseas.
Once I've gone through ITA, does the number of points still matter? Would I get more chances to be approved with 530 compared to 450 ?
The points are locked in place after you submit your application (also known as AOR). If you have all your documents ready before you enter the Express Entry pool, you should be able to get your AOR the same day you receive your ITA.

In the last draw, the cut-off score was 442. That means that everyone with a score 443 or higher was issued an ITA (and a select group with 442). So as long as you meet the cut-off, it doesn't matter whether your score is 450 or 530.

Tet83

Jan 10, 2018
OK, so if I have enough to go through ITA, let's say 450, I don't need to bother re-taking the test or trying to get more points. I'm in, I'm in!

Now a last question (sorry for all that, I also don't want to open one thread for each small issue I have - and THANK YOU for all your help).

I've had a lot of small jobs within the last 10 years, and I understand that I have to give letter of employments or other proofs. I cannot get some paperwork and I read somewhere it's best to not mention it (or at least not claim points with job experience we cannot prove).

When I applied for my work permit, I sent them a resume with everything, I didn't have to prove most of them and I got approved.
For PR, I'm afraid to mention a job, not being able to prove it, and get rejected for that reason. I'm also afraid if I don't mention it, they will compare with my old resume, notice the "lie" and I will get rejected too... Is that possible ? What's the best thing to do in this situation?

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
OK, so if I have enough to go through ITA, let's say 450, I don't need to bother re-taking the test or trying to get more points. I'm in, I'm in!

Now a last question (sorry for all that, I also don't want to open one thread for each small issue I have - and THANK YOU for all your help).

I've had a lot of small jobs within the last 10 years, and I understand that I have to give letter of employments or other proofs. I cannot get some paperwork and I read somewhere it's best to not mention it (or at least not claim points with job experience we cannot prove).

When I applied for my work permit, I sent them a resume with everything, I didn't have to prove most of them and I got approved.
For PR, I'm afraid to mention a job, not being able to prove it, and get rejected for that reason. I'm also afraid if I don't mention it, they will compare with my old resume, notice the "lie" and I will get rejected too... Is that possible ? What's the best thing to do in this situation?
Yeah - you should only include work history if you want to claim points for it. If you include it, you will need to provide an employer's reference, and potentially they may request paystubs, etc. You also need to provide them with a way to contact that employer if they feel the need to.

They won't care if you are not listing certain jobs you had. I would recommend not listing very short-term jobs if you don't need the points. If you are worried nonetheless, you can always just state it in your LOE.

Rejections due to claiming work experience without proof/paperwork is a real thing. Rejections due to leaving out work experience is not.

Kittyy

Star Member
Mar 5, 2018
Going with your information, I assume you are currently on an International Experience Canada - Young Professional permit? If this is correct (or if you have a different work permit that specifies your employer) you can claim the extra 50pts. if:

- You have been working for this employer for at least 12 months
- The job offer is for a NOC 0, A or B position
- The job offer is for the same NOC position that you have been working under in the last 12 months.
- The job offer must remain valid for at least 12 months after you obtain your PR
- The job offer must be for a full-time/permanent position (at least 30hrs/week)

If you indeed can claim points, you will simply need your offer of employment and upload it after you're given an ITA. Your employer does not need to do anything, other than giving you a job offer and signing it.

For expiration date, I would recommend setting it to something like March 1, 2020 (which is what I did) which means that you will easily meet the 12 month threshold as PRs are usually obtained within 6 months. I don't know if it's okay if the offer simply mentions you will remain employed for 1 year after obtaining a PR (someone else should confirm this).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask - I traversed essentially the same path as you with my PR application, and so far have not yet received any feedback about issues with my job offer.
Im in the same boat i got ita in skilled trades worker category and a job offer is a must im on closed work permit and itis expiring August 2019 i request a job offer from my managaer and he stated all what the immigration need exept that sentence i dont know if. It means permanent he wrote ( the employee have no shortage of hours in the foreseeable future and we hope to see she growing within our organization) could you please tell me if that make sense and it means permanent?

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Im in the same boat i got ita in skilled trades worker category and a job offer is a must im on closed work permit and itis expiring August 2019 i request a job offer from my managaer and he stated all what the immigration need exept that sentence i dont know if. It means permanent he wrote ( the employee have no shortage of hours in the foreseeable future and we hope to see she growing within our organization) could you please tell me if that make sense and it means permanent?
I don't know exactly what the rules are for the Trades category...but CIC is pretty clear about what constitutes a valid job offer. It should at the very minimum be for a period of one year after your PR is issued. What your employer wrote is not accepted.

It needs to mention "permanent" or specific dates on it (e.g. until December 31, 2019).

Kittyy

Star Member
Mar 5, 2018
I don't know exactly what the rules are for the Trades category...but CIC is pretty clear about what constitutes a valid job offer. It should at the very minimum be for a period of one year after your PR is issued. What your employer wrote is not accepted.

It needs to mention "permanent" or specific dates on it (e.g. until December 31, 2019).
Thanx for ur reply! I said that to the manager and he said that this sentence professionally means permanent and he cant put an exact date i been trying with him hard but it seems like no hope what do u think i should do ? Do i reject my ita ?