+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A Valid LMIA Job Offer may help to dispense the proof of funds??

carlosjimz87

Jun 2, 2015
Hy, i want to apply with my family for FSW program, i read a lot of info about FSK and similar programs but, i have never found anything that confirm a supposition i have. This is, that a valid offer from LMIA could make to dispense to present the proof of funds to accepted applicants. I'm I right? Thanks

noesis

May 26, 2015
carlosjimz87 said:
Hy, i want to apply with my family for FSW program, i read a lot of info about FSK and similar programs but, i have never found anything that confirm a supposition i have. This is, that a valid offer from LMIA could make to dispense to present the proof of funds to accepted applicants. I'm I right? Thanks
This is from CIC's Proof of Funds page:

"Unless you are currently authorized to work in Canada and have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada, you must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada.

You cannot borrow this money from another person. You must be able to use this money to pay the costs of living for your family (even if they are not coming with you).

You will need to show proof to the Canadian visa office in your home country that you have enough money when you apply to immigrate.

The amount of money you need to support your family is set by the size of your family. We update these amounts every year.

Number of
Family Members Funds Required
(in Canadian dollars)
1 $11,931
2 $14,853
3 $18,260
4 $22,170
5 $25,145
6 $28,359
7 or more $31,574
You do not have to show that you have these funds if:

you have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada AND
you are currently working or authorized to work in Canada."

Interpreted simply, having the LMIA is one part of the requirements not to show funds. The other is that you must either currently be working in Canada or have a work permit issued to you.

carlosjimz87

Jun 2, 2015
noesis said:
This is from CIC's Proof of Funds page:

"Unless you are currently authorized to work in Canada and have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada, you must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada.

You cannot borrow this money from another person. You must be able to use this money to pay the costs of living for your family (even if they are not coming with you).

You will need to show proof to the Canadian visa office in your home country that you have enough money when you apply to immigrate.

The amount of money you need to support your family is set by the size of your family. We update these amounts every year.

Number of
Family Members Funds Required
(in Canadian dollars)
1 $11,931
2 $14,853
3 $18,260
4 $22,170
5 $25,145
6 $28,359
7 or more $31,574
You do not have to show that you have these funds if:

you have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada AND
you are currently working or authorized to work in Canada."

Interpreted simply, having the LMIA is one part of the requirements not to show funds. The other is that you must either currently be working in Canada or have a work permit issued to you.
So the only way to avoid the proof of funds is to have a work permit from a job with LMIA. Am I right?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
carlosjimz87 said:
So the only way to avoid the proof of funds is to have a work permit from a job with LMIA. Am I right?
The way I understand it, there are only 2 ways to avoid showing POF as below

1. Apply under CEC - this happens only if the applicant has Canadian work experience or, in other words, you are currently working or authorized to work in Canada.

2. Apply under FSW - If one has a job offer with LMIA netting 600 additional points or, in other words, you have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada

For an FSW applicant applying from outside Canada (and having no authorization to work in Canada), POF is mandatory.

Dynonobel

Star Member
May 9, 2015
Nanaimo, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
carlosjimz87 said:
Yes, at least that is how I understand it. As well, in lieu of the proof of funds, I understand you must show that you have been earning funds and successfully supporting your family in Canada. This would obviously be impossible without a current Work Permit and existing job.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Dynonobel said:
Yes, at least that is how I understand it. As well, in lieu of the proof of funds, I understand you must show that you have been earning funds and successfully supporting your family in Canada. This would obviously be impossible without a current Work Permit and existing job.
Just and FYI, but myself and a few other people were asked to show PoF even though we all had current job s in Canada and a job offer with a LMIA. So, it's better to be prepared and plan on having to show funds.

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
carlosjimz87 said:
CIC will request to show funds and you have to show them. But it isn't necessary to show minimum funds in case of LMIA approved job.
In other case, minimum funds is mandatory.

Dynonobel

Star Member
May 9, 2015
Nanaimo, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AshesNdust said:
Just and FYI, but myself and a few other people were asked to show PoF even though we all had current job s in Canada and a job offer with a LMIA. So, it's better to be prepared and plan on having to show funds.
You were asked to show "Proof of Means of Financial Support" as per the document checklist, or you were specifically asked to show that you had the minimum amount of funds required to immigrate as noted here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp ???

As I stated above, everyone has to show proof of Means of financial support in some way or another, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are required to have the minimum required funds.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Dynonobel said:
You were asked to show "Proof of Means of Financial Support" as per the document checklist, or you were specifically asked to show that you had the minimum amount of funds required to immigrate as noted here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp ???

As I stated above, everyone has to show proof of Means of financial support in some way or another, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are required to have the minimum required funds.
No, I was asked to show proof of funds. I have no idea why as I am currently working in Canada on a work permit and I have a job offer with a positive LMIA. I am absolutely, 100% positive that was what I was asked to show and it was NOT just the means of financial support. As soon as that showed up on my doc list, I did a search on various forums and the same thing was happening to plenty of other people.
I have no idea if it was to prove the minimum required funds or not since all my document list said was proof of funds and then showed a pop up of what I needed, letter from any fininacial insitution I have accounts in, on letter head, account numbers, date opened, and balances for the past 6 months.

Help needed

May 26, 2015
AshesNdust said:
No, I was asked to show proof of funds. I have no idea why as I am currently working in Canada on a work permit and I have a job offer with a positive LMIA. I am absolutely, 100% positive that was what I was asked to show and it was NOT just the means of financial support. As soon as that showed up on my doc list, I did a search on various forums and the same thing was happening to plenty of other people.
I have no idea if it was to prove the minimum required funds or not since all my document list said was proof of funds and then showed a pop up of what I needed, letter from any fininacial insitution I have accounts in, on letter head, account numbers, date opened, and balances for the past 6 months.
Hi I am in same situation. I have an approved BC PNP and a permanent job but CIC still asked for proof of funds. I am really confused as I don't have $12000 to show in my account. Can you please tell me how much amount did you show?

Thanks

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Help needed said:
Hi I am in same situation. I have an approved BC PNP and a permanent job but CIC still asked for proof of funds. I am really confused as I don't have $12000 to show in my account. Can you please tell me how much amount did you show?

Thanks
I'm lucky that I could show way more than the $12k that was needed. What confused me a bit was that it stated that I had to show all financial accounts to "build my financial portfolio." So, I got proof of funds letters from all my accounts.
The truly annoying thing was only 1 bank I have accounts in was willing to give me exactly what the CIC was asking for and strangely it wasn't the Canadian bank, but one outside the country. I even brought in a print out of the popup screen listing what was needed and the Canadian bank just said they don't do that.
So, I ended up turning in documents that show the closest info to the requirements possible and 6 months of statements for several of the accounts. I had some other accounts that I couldn't upload the statements because I would have been over the 4mb limit. I also included a letter of explaination accounting for the differences in the PoF letters and what the CIC is asking for.
Since the whole point of the PoF is to show that I won't end up costing Canada money, I hoping they are fine with what I submitted and it's substantially more than the minimum requirement.

yepyep

Star Member
Jun 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Check the elogibility requirements for the programme you are going through. If you have a job offer supported by an LMIA/work permit etc you generally don't need proof of funds. I am FST and I wrote down what funds I had on my EE profile and on my checklist had to provide a financial statement. After some research I went back (the family part of the questonaire) and changed my funds to 0 and now I no longer have a proof of funds section on my checklist.
It seems these checklists are generically created by answers you give. If you don't need to prove funds, dont put any funds!