+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A guide for preparing Parents Sponsorship/ Immigration Application

LaniLee

Apr 27, 2017
how do you actually pay for parents sponsorship? I try to pay it online but I'm receiving this message "your connection is not private"? But I'm using my own computer at home?

jz_to

Aug 1, 2018
Hi i have questions in general & specific to IMM5768 Financial Evaluation for Sponsorship.
Background: I want to sponsor my divorced Mom (divorced for more than 20 years, never re-married). I am married now living with my husband who is PR in Canada too. My income is more than enough to meet the eligibility, so I don't want him to co-sign anything with me. No kid.

1. Family size - should it be 3? (My mom, my husband & me?)
2. For IMM5768 - Question 15 - Spouse's financial situation. Should I still fill in if my husband does not co-sign?
3. For IMM5768 - Question 16 - Consent for Co-signer's SIN access. Should I still fill in if my husband does not co-sign?
4. For IMM5768 - I have no previous undertaking. In the entire section 9 - 10 - 11- 12, asking for various kinds of previous undertaking / spouse's information, there is no place to fill in my Mom (who is the Principle Applicant in my current undertaking)'s information? Did I read the titles wrong, or something?

Please help. Thanks!!

Hani2018

Aug 2, 2018
That's fine.
2015 yours + wife's
2016 yours + wife's (i.e. 0)
2017 yours + wife's (i.e. 0)

It's easy to add 0 to yours.

As gst8486 suggested in point 8 of first page of this group for reporting income, he/she suggested to combine your all income for the same year.
can we combine family income (me+wife) if yes then what would be best way to combine it for instance Should I combine total family income (me+wife) in Quesoin 14 and provide wife employment in Question 17.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
As gst8486 suggested in point 8 of first page of this group for reporting income, he/she suggested to combine your all income for the same year.
can we combine family income (me+wife) if yes then what would be best way to combine it for instance Should I combine total family income (me+wife) in Quesoin 14 and provide wife employment in Question 17.
In Form IMM5768 Financial Evaluation for Parents Sponsorship, it specifically ask for "your" income and "co-signer's income".

So I do not think you can combine it. BTW, you each have your own NOA. Why do you want to "do the math" for CIC?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hani2018

Hani2018

Aug 2, 2018

I know it repeats alot but need expert advise, Which option is best to chose if application will reject and we can appeal it for IMM 1344 Question #1

Question 1

Check one box to indicate how you wish to proceed if you do not meet the sponsorship requirements.

• If you check the box to withdraw your sponsorship application then
    • the sponsorship application will not be processed. All fees will be refunded, except for the $75 sponsorship fee.
  • If you check the box to proceed with the application for permanent residence then
    • the sponsorship application will be refused. None of the fees will be refunded.
Note: Check “proceed with the application for permanent residence” if you submit an undertaking of assistance to support the permanent residence application of a family member or close relative on Humanitarian and compassionate considerations.

Hani2018

Aug 2, 2018
I am ready to submit my file need advise what would be the best way to combine papers to prepare file for instance;

1. Should I add additional index for additional docs i.e. my Father educational Docs, his Naval Services Retirement Docs etc.
2. Should I put sticky on top corner of the page to identify the doc for instance NOA me, NOA wife, IMM008 ..... etc
3. Should I bind or staple the docs together it would not be misplaced.

Please advise what would be best way to submit the file.

ssingh5

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
Following are the key points which I would like to suggest the sponsors/ applicants who are going to apply for their parent's immigration:
  1. Make sure you choose the below highlighted option in form IMM1344 (Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement)

2. Every-time you do a change in the information entered in the form, do not forget to click Validate on the forms (if Validate button is in the form). To make things easy for your parents, I would suggest you to print the documents and courier them. Once received, parents can go through the form and sign those. After that they can courier the forms back to you with the Photographs, photocopies of their passport pages, Marriage certificate/ affidavits etc.

3. For IMM4506 (Additional Family Information), do not forget to write names in native (non-english) language if your parents are coming from country where English is not an official or national language. You can fill the form in English and then print it, after that the names in native language can be written by hand.

4. Make sure that on the back of photographs of parents is as per the IRCC dimensional specification. Also make sure that at the back of photographs, the name and date of birth of the subject is provided, as well as the name and complete address of the photography studio, date on which the picture was taken; the photographer may use a stamp or hand-write this information. Stick-on labels are unacceptable.
    Put the photographs in a small ziplock bag, and write on top of the ziplock bag the name, UCI and DOB of the subject. This ziplock bag will become part of the application package.

5. In the application package Include the printed ITA letter received from IRCC via email. Surprisingly the checklist hasn't asked for it, but the ITA letter itself says that the it should be kept as the first document (on top) of the application package.

6. Do not forget to provide USE OF REPRESENTATIVE FORM IMM5476:
    Provide IMM 5476: Use of Representative form even if in the IRCC checklist it says 'to be completed/ provided, if applicable'. Assuming that by default a sponsor is a representative for the parents, many applicants didn't provide the form with their application, but later after receiving the application package, IRCC asked for IMM 5476, this could delay the process, so its' better to provide this form along with the other forms.

7. Form IMM5768 Financial Evaluation for Parents Sponsorship
    If you are working for the same company for last three year, Assuming you worked for a company XYZ, and assuming family size 5 with gross income 90k, I would fill the form year wise, see the below example:

8. Here is another example for reporting income

Assuming that you are making $100,000 per annum since 2015 and you have worked for 4 different companies and your family size has been 5 since 2015, In my case, I filled the Employment History section of form in year-wise fashion, and I would suggest you to pick gross income mentioned in your NOAs.

For your employment from 2018-01-01 to present, you can total the salary as per your paychecks. Make sure you leave no gaps in between the dates.

9. Here is another example for reporting income
    I will recommend you to use the annual income mentioned in Notice of assessment (NOA) for past three years. I am not confident about putting individual incomes mentioned in individual T4s for individual employer. Basically you make two things clear in section 14. of this form IMM5768
    1. where you worked in 2015, 2016, 2017 and beginning of 2018
    2. how much you made in year 2015, 2016, 2017 and beginning of 2018

Assuming that in year 2017, you worked for two employers (Employer 2 and Employer 2.1) and made $100,000 in total in year 2017 (as per NOA), I would suggest you the below format to apply. I will also suggest you to put in brackets 'this was my second job/ employer' infront of employer/ company name.

Also as shown under columns for gross income in 2017, draw a big bracket with the help of a scale, to show that you are showing a combined income

10. There could be cases where the parents don’t have a marriage certificate. In that case if the parents can get a marriage certificate done quick enough it’s great; otherwise an affidavit (done in local court/ magistrate) will do the job. In addition to the home address, make sure the affidavit carries passport number and date of birth of your father and mother. Provide original copy of the affidavits with the application package, but make sure you keep a copy of the affidavits. Also, provide an explanation letter to IRCC saying that an affidavit has been provided as an evidence of the marriage of your parents.

Here is a post by one of the forum members who applied for her parents immigration in 2017, she confirmed the use of affidavit as a marriage document for her parents and she had no issues in. So far even I had no issues too!
    https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/parents-and-grandparents-sponsorship-2017.479048/page-251#post-6812809

11. If an applicant or co-applicant was on a maternity leave, the maternity pay/ EI will count as income as it's considered a special payment from EI.

12. I recommend not leaving UCI column blank if your parents have dealt with CIC/ IRCC in the past. There should be UCI on the letters or correspondence with IRCC for visitor or super visa, if you don't have those letters, the visa stamp on your parents passport will also carry UCI#

13. If IRCC has provided a PO BOX address only, note that only Canada Post could deliver to PO Box address, courier company's can't!

14. For form IMM 5669 Schedule A – Background/Declaration, under Authority to Disclose Personal Information section, it appears that no signatures are required if the name of the applicant is typed in the signature box, there is no instruction on the form stating that after typing the name, the form has to be signed by hand also (after printing the form). However in the application guide (Screenshot 2) there are instructions i.e. type the name, print the form, sign the form with hand. I wish IRCC would have put the same instruction in the form also, there is a great chance that people will assume that the signatures with hand are not required. I recommend everyone to read Guide 5772 again and again.

Please note that the form IMM 5669 is required to be filled by principle applicant, co-applicant/ spouse and their dependent children aged 18 years or older (if applicable).

Screenshot 1:

Screenshot 2:

15. IRCC has recommended to pay the Application Fee + right of permanent residence fee ($550 +$490 = $1040) to avoid delays. But you do have the choice to pay $490 at later stage but it could delay the file (as highlighted by IRCC).

16. In Supporting Document - Part B section of checklist, I would suggest to check mark on the Proof of Income or Notice of Assessment..... option and accordingly provide NOA or any other proof of income for yourself and your co-sponsor (if applicable). Though i found this section of checklist little confusing; in first read it appeared that the sponsor is required to provide NOA only if the sponsor denies providing his or her SIN number in form IMM5768. But i believe the NOAs are to be provided regardless of response provided in IMM5768. I don't believe it will hurt!

17. In case you can't provide a document, or you think that there is something which will help IRCC officer in understanding a particular document or scenario, prepare an explanation letter and add it in the application package. Avoid creating multiple explaination letters, rather make one letter and exaplain everthin gin it. DO not forget to sign the letter. Also provide your UCI#, NAME, DOB and address in the letter.

18. Before mailing the application to IRCC, make sure you check the whole application atleast twice. Don't prepare the application in rush, take your time in ensuring that you didn't miss anything.
Additional notes:
  • The sponsor has to maintain the required income till the Parents land in Canada as permanent resident.
Hopefully this helps. please hit the like button if you found the information useful!

Please note that above suggestions are on the basis of my understanding.
@gst8486
Hello, Can you provide the Marriage Certificate Affidavit Template. My mom dad married in 80s in India, where they dont have any marriage certificate. What should i submit now ? Please help !!

ssingh5

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
Hello Everyone,

@YVR123

My i got the AOR for my parents in January 2019, the application still in process .
I want to know if i change my status - Planning to marriage in coming months.
Will they re-assess my application for parents with respect to LICO table ? As i will be adding my spouse.?
Or they wont , as when i started the application i was single ?

Also, i want to know on which stage of application i can change my status so that i can marriage as well as dont impact my parents application ?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello Everyone,

@YVR123

My i got the AOR for my parents in January 2019, the application still in process .
I want to know if i change my status - Planning to marriage in coming months.
Will they re-assess my application for parents with respect to LICO table ? As i will be adding my spouse.?
Or they wont , as when i started the application i was single ?

Also, i want to know on which stage of application i can change my status so that i can marriage as well as dont impact my parents application ?
Getting married will not affect the LICO for the previous 3 years. They will still use the same family size to see if you meet the LICO of the last 3 years.

But further down the process, they may or may not request update on your income for 2018/2019...etc and at that point, they will need your income to meet with the additional family member (your spouse).

Do not lie to them. Update the forms on your status once you got married. It's up to IRCC to request further income proof or not.

calgary17

Mar 11, 2017
London, ON
Following are the key points which I would like to suggest the sponsors/ applicants who are going to apply for their parent's immigration:
  1. Make sure you choose the below highlighted option in form IMM1344 (Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement)

2. Every-time you do a change in the information entered in the form, do not forget to click Validate on the forms (if Validate button is in the form). To make things easy for your parents, I would suggest you to print the documents and courier them. Once received, parents can go through the form and sign those. After that they can courier the forms back to you with the Photographs, photocopies of their passport pages, Marriage certificate/ affidavits etc.

3. For IMM4506 (Additional Family Information), do not forget to write names in native (non-english) language if your parents are coming from country where English is not an official or national language. You can fill the form in English and then print it, after that the names in native language can be written by hand.

4. Make sure that on the back of photographs of parents is as per the IRCC dimensional specification. Also make sure that at the back of photographs, the name and date of birth of the subject is provided, as well as the name and complete address of the photography studio, date on which the picture was taken; the photographer may use a stamp or hand-write this information. Stick-on labels are unacceptable.
    Put the photographs in a small ziplock bag, and write on top of the ziplock bag the name, UCI and DOB of the subject. This ziplock bag will become part of the application package.

5. In the application package Include the printed ITA letter received from IRCC via email. Surprisingly the checklist hasn't asked for it, but the ITA letter itself says that the it should be kept as the first document (on top) of the application package.

6. Do not forget to provide USE OF REPRESENTATIVE FORM IMM5476:
    Provide IMM 5476: Use of Representative form even if in the IRCC checklist it says 'to be completed/ provided, if applicable'. Assuming that by default a sponsor is a representative for the parents, many applicants didn't provide the form with their application, but later after receiving the application package, IRCC asked for IMM 5476, this could delay the process, so its' better to provide this form along with the other forms.

7. Form IMM5768 Financial Evaluation for Parents Sponsorship
    If you are working for the same company for last three year, Assuming you worked for a company XYZ, and assuming family size 5 with gross income 90k, I would fill the form year wise, see the below example:

8. Here is another example for reporting income

Assuming that you are making $100,000 per annum since 2015 and you have worked for 4 different companies and your family size has been 5 since 2015, In my case, I filled the Employment History section of form in year-wise fashion, and I would suggest you to pick gross income mentioned in your NOAs.

For your employment from 2018-01-01 to present, you can total the salary as per your paychecks. Make sure you leave no gaps in between the dates.

9. Here is another example for reporting income
    I will recommend you to use the annual income mentioned in Notice of assessment (NOA) for past three years. I am not confident about putting individual incomes mentioned in individual T4s for individual employer. Basically you make two things clear in section 14. of this form IMM5768
    1. where you worked in 2015, 2016, 2017 and beginning of 2018
    2. how much you made in year 2015, 2016, 2017 and beginning of 2018

Assuming that in year 2017, you worked for two employers (Employer 2 and Employer 2.1) and made $100,000 in total in year 2017 (as per NOA), I would suggest you the below format to apply. I will also suggest you to put in brackets 'this was my second job/ employer' infront of employer/ company name.

Also as shown under columns for gross income in 2017, draw a big bracket with the help of a scale, to show that you are showing a combined income

10. There could be cases where the parents don’t have a marriage certificate. In that case if the parents can get a marriage certificate done quick enough it’s great; otherwise an affidavit (done in local court/ magistrate) will do the job. In addition to the home address, make sure the affidavit carries passport number and date of birth of your father and mother. Provide original copy of the affidavits with the application package, but make sure you keep a copy of the affidavits. Also, provide an explanation letter to IRCC saying that an affidavit has been provided as an evidence of the marriage of your parents.

Here is a post by one of the forum members who applied for her parents immigration in 2017, she confirmed the use of affidavit as a marriage document for her parents and she had no issues in. So far even I had no issues too!
    https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/parents-and-grandparents-sponsorship-2017.479048/page-251#post-6812809

11. If an applicant or co-applicant was on a maternity leave, the maternity pay/ EI will count as income as it's considered a special payment from EI.

12. I recommend not leaving UCI column blank if your parents have dealt with CIC/ IRCC in the past. There should be UCI on the letters or correspondence with IRCC for visitor or super visa, if you don't have those letters, the visa stamp on your parents passport will also carry UCI#

13. If IRCC has provided a PO BOX address only, note that only Canada Post could deliver to PO Box address, courier company's can't!

14. For form IMM 5669 Schedule A – Background/Declaration, under Authority to Disclose Personal Information section, it appears that no signatures are required if the name of the applicant is typed in the signature box, there is no instruction on the form stating that after

Please note that above suggestions are on the basis of my understanding.
Great post, thank you for taking time to help others.

Can you please clarify few things to me:
1). On explanation letter, do I (sponsor) provide my UCI and information?

2). There is a section which says certified photocopy of translated documents is required.
For super visa, we got sworn translation done for my parents spanish PR cards (to show their status in the country of residence), but we never did certified photocopy of the original, it was just regular photocopy along with sworn translation.
Should that be OK this time too? Or we really need the certified copies of originals?

3). There is a question on IMM 008, which asks you about your parenta language preference for communication which i selected English, for interview I selected native language (just in case there is interview my parents won’t be able to do it in english, they understand/speak little bit), and there is another question right next to it, interpreter requested - Should I select Yes or No here?

4). Another question in IMM 008, which asks for parents current occupation, my dad is pensioner and mom is homemaker.
Then it asks “intended occupation”, what can I put for them here?

5). Form 5669, In the personal history, we need to provide everything right? Like travels too?
For example my dad ia pensioner for last 10 years, and I put pensioner but when he is travelling to Canada or India, i put travelling in the activity for that period?
Should I put travel/pensioner? Because pensioner remains pensioner even if travelling not like job that we take off. Please if you could advise on this.

And then previous 10 years address, I provide their permanent addresses as well as for 3 months in Canada and then 2-3 months in India for a couple of times?
They were on short visits to India also, do I need to provide that address also?
And another very short visit to Italy for a week, should I be changing all this in addresses.

All your time and effort would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

vermas

Champion Member
Jan 12, 2010
NOC Code......
NA
App. Filed.......
eAPR/AOR 13-08-2018
Very informative thread. I am sponsoring my parents under 2019 PGP program and anxiously awaiting invitation to apply.

danny_scars

Aug 1, 2017
BC
Can someone take my hand for 2 minutes and let me know if this is correct? :D
*To count family members:
I put "1" on # 3a. for my mother (person being sponsored, divorced and no other kids),
"1" on #5 for my spouse - got married in Aug 2018,
I am pregnant but baby is not due until June so I am leaving #6 with "0". That gives me a family of 3. Correct?

*I then typed N/A for all boxes on page 2, with the exception of #11, where I put my husband's info as he is NOT co-signing this application

*This is what #14 looks like:

https://ibb.co/StZ5hYL

*On question 15, I typed this on the box: "THERE IS NO CO-SIGNER ON THIS APPLICATION"

* Questions 16 and 17 were left blank.

Sounds about right?
And yes, I am aware that forms might change once invitations are sent out - I am just trying to get as prepared as I can.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

danny_scars

Aug 1, 2017
BC
sorry, i am not figuring out how to add an image on the actual post :(

Also...

*for IMM 0008 (02-2019) E - GENERIC APPLICATION FORM FOR CANADA, I put my info on personal details, and then add my mom and husband as dependents?
*for IMM 0008depenu, is that my info and my mom as my dependent?! Q 10 doesn't have "parent" as an answer. Maybe my mom's info.. but the I am not her dependent... #confused

I read the Guide 5772 that says the person being sponsored is supposed to fill out the IMM 0008 forms but she doesn't have dependents... I am so confused.

Dumb questions yes, but... I appreciate ur help :)

Last edited:

danny_scars

Aug 1, 2017
BC
Me.. again...

My husband is not co-signing this applicantion. This mens I don't fill out an IMM5409, right? Or do I still fill it out to prove I am married?!
Same for IMM5406.. do I still have to get my husband to fill out one of these, even though he is not co-signing this application?

I should also mention he is a Canadian citizen so.. won't be sponsoring his parents/children anyway.

Thank yoooou!

Last edited:

redmonkey1995

Star Member
Jan 28, 2019
Why are you guys preparing the forms when IRCC clearly said you should not till receive invitations. There maybe no invitations this year due to law suit from REPAIR group