+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

27 July 2019 IELTS General Training Questions and Answers

DrKT

Star Member
Jun 14, 2019
Last time I missed 0.5 in listening..and this exam lost in writing :(
If given a chance i really want to ask the Canadian immigration as to how did they arrive at 8777 and also... despite getting good scores in RWS ....why is L given so much of weightage compared to the rest...

I mean in L ....7.5 and 8 has a heaven and earth difference in the CRS score.
Take my case for example...with the scores that i got today...
7.5 , 8 , 7, 9....my crs is 406
Add just a 0.5 to L and make it 8 ...crs shoots upto 460 o_O:confused::rolleyes:

II've been seeing a trend...
Either the L gets screwed up
Or the W chokes you up...

On an average ,R and S are going pretty smoothly for many.
Not too many complaints.

MassNssen

Aug 9, 2019
Good to see having an optimistic approach.
Btw your scores seems amazing ( minus writing ofcourse ! )
Congrats for that.

But couldn't you just ask for another additional to keep writing rather than squeezing in stuff ?

Anyways all the best ...
I did ask for another paper, but the lady said they can't give one, which I looked up after and found that to be incorrect.

DrKT

Star Member
Jun 14, 2019
I did ask for another paper, but the lady said they can't give one, which I looked up after and found that to be incorrect.
WHATTTT ????

She denied you ????
RIDICULOUS !!!!

People's lives are hanging on this so called 8777 and they deny a paper to write ? Pathetic.

I feel really gutted reading your apathy.
Had you written in an additional sheet , atleast would have had a fair chance .
Tough luck mate.

MassNssen

Aug 9, 2019
WHATTTT ????

She denied you ????
RIDICULOUS !!!!

People's lives are hanging on this so called 8777 and they deny a paper to write ? Pathetic.

I feel really gutted reading your apathy.
Had you written in an additional sheet , atleast would have had a fair chance .
Tough luck mate.
I know, it's a really bad situation. I'm just trying to to be positive. I also have to take the French exam since I only have a Bachelor's degree. I really thought I was done with English and I can start preparing for French. Hey, what can you do, life is like that. Luckily I had scheduled going out with a good friend for tonight, so I'LL be venting this out with a few beers in me, hopefully that'll get it our of mys system. Tomorrow is a new day.

I really appreciate the sympathy, all the luck to you brother.

Robotsatwork

Jul 30, 2019
Congratulations on your result. Would you please share your writing strategy with us? Did you follow any particular structure? I got my results today and its LRWS 9 9 6.5 8 (1st attempt). Writing pulled my CRS down
Sure.
1)Practice is the key. Even though my writing has always been good, I still practiced both the tasks every single day with 1 hour on the clock.
2) I also prepared for vocab extensively. There is an excellent video on YouTube wherein you can learn synonyms of commonly used terms for task 2 like people, govt., Teachers, etc. This comes in very handy specially during paraphrasing.
3) I paid attention to not repeating words a lot. Used a wide variety of lexical resource wherever possible.
4) I always started with paraphrasing the main task. After that was done, I would start
Jotting down in rough, the main thesis(2-3) and the supporting statements(2) for each thesis, on the question paper itself. This would also give me an idea as to which opinion I should support based on where I had more material to write. I would spend about 2-3 mins on paraphrasing and another 5 on jotting the rough points. After my raw material was ready, it would be quite easy to build up on the points for the actual essay.

5) Always wrote good conclusions as well. Paraphrased the task again with a different set of words and stated the opinion and main thesis again. This would be easier than the first para as I didn't have to think a lot and ideas would already be flowing by now.

6) I also quoted relevant examples for each thesis.

7) Even though I wrote a bit on the lengthier side (around 400 words) in the 1st attempt, I wasn't penalized coz my grammer and ideas were on point. You can avoid this though.

8) Give urself 5 mins(minimum) at the end after everything is done to read through ur essay and letter. Many a times mistakes can be avoided by simply glancing thru it once.

Let me know if I can be of anymore help. All the very best for ur prep.

Shraa16

Jul 27, 2019
If given a chance i really want to ask the Canadian immigration as to how did they arrive at 8777 and also... despite getting good scores in RWS ....why is L given so much of weightage compared to the rest...

I mean in L ....7.5 and 8 has a heaven and earth difference in the CRS score.
Take my case for example...with the scores that i got today...
7.5 , 8 , 7, 9....my crs is 406
Add just a 0.5 to L and make it 8 ...crs shoots upto 460 o_O:confused::rolleyes:

II've been seeing a trend...
Either the L gets screwed up
Or the W chokes you up...

On an average ,R and S are going pretty smoothly for many.
Not too many complaints.
Good score though.. first attempt??

DrKT

Star Member
Jun 14, 2019
I know, it's a really bad situation. I'm just trying to to be positive. I also have to take the French exam since I only have a Bachelor's degree. I really thought I was done with English and I can start preparing for French. Hey, what can you do, life is like that. Luckily I had scheduled going out with a good friend for tonight, so I'LL be venting this out with a few beers in me, hopefully that'll get it our of mys system. Tomorrow is a new day.

I really appreciate the sympathy, all the luck to you brother.
Thanks buddy.
Chins up !!
Time to move on to the next :)

DrKT

Star Member
Jun 14, 2019
Sure.
1)Practice is the key. Even though my writing has always been good, I still practiced both the tasks every single day with 1 hour on the clock.
2) I also prepared for vocab extensively. There is an excellent video on YouTube wherein you can learn synonyms of commonly used terms for task 2 like people, govt., Teachers, etc. This comes in very handy specially during paraphrasing.
3) I paid attention to not repeating words a lot. Used a wide variety of lexical resource wherever possible.
4) I always started with paraphrasing the main task. After that was done, I would start
Jotting down in rough, the main thesis(2-3) and the supporting statements(2) for each thesis, on the question paper itself. This would also give me an idea as to which opinion I should support based on where I had more material to write. I would spend about 2-3 mins on paraphrasing and another 5 on jotting the rough points. After my raw material was ready, it would be quite easy to build up on the points for the actual essay.

5) Always wrote good conclusions as well. Paraphrased the task again with a different set of words and stated the opinion and main thesis again. This would be easier than the first para as I didn't have to think a lot and ideas would already be flowing by now.

7) Even though I wrote a bit on the lengthier side (around 400 words) in the 1st attempt, I wasn't penalized coz my grammer and ideas were on point. You can avoid this though.

8) Give urself 5 mins(minimum) at the end after everything is done to read through ur essay and letter. Many a times mistakes can be avoided by simply glancing thru it once.

The way you systematically wrote the above points itself is giving me a run for my money.:D
Your writing skills definetly seem to be top-notch.

Its rare to see someone perform consistently well in W.
That clearly sets you apart from the rest.
Kudos once again and thanks for your insights

Reactions: Robotsatwork

Robotsatwork

Jul 30, 2019
The way you systematically wrote the above points itself is giving me a run for my money.:D
Your writing skills definetly seem to be top-notch.

Its rare to see someone perform consistently well in W.
That clearly sets you apart from the rest.
Kudos once again and thanks for your insights
Thanks man!! Hopefully it would be of some help to the others and people can learn from each other's strengths

Last edited:

SR_T

Aug 9, 2019
Sure.

Thank you so very much for giving us a detailed explanation. I will definitely try to incorporate your suggestions while practicing the writing tasks. As DrKT said, your writing skills are top notch. I appreciate your help. Thanks again

Reactions: Robotsatwork