+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2018 Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications: timeline and updates

vs28can

Dec 9, 2016
Hello, I hope this meets you all well.

Sorry if this question has been asked before (my research skills...are impatient. lol).

I have 2 questions that I would appreciate if anyone can please answer for me:

1) I recently got my OWP and I tried to get a Health card but i was told I need to have a full time job first (for a minimum of 6 months) before I can apply for it. However, I read somewhere that if i have applied for a PR and CIC has confirmed that I meet eligibility requirement/i haven't been denied then I can apply for the health card. My question is, at what point do i know if I have met eligibility requirement? After medicals etc? I'm an April inland applicant (my husband filed for me)

2) Would it be safe to travel to the US for the weekend and come back while my PR is being processed? (I have a valid visitors visa and OWP)
it would take at least 2-3 months for the medical to get approved, once that is done as well as the background check is done you will get a notification in the account which says 'Eligibility passed' and has the letter attached in the message, your husband will also get a letter by mail. That's when you exactly know you passed the eligibility check.

Reactions: ConfusedJ

vs28can

Dec 9, 2016
Just posting time lines for the application I submitted for my wife. She got her PR this month:
This will be a good reference for all other applicants.

Application category: In-land spousal sponsorship

Application submitted on (along with Open work permit application): 1st September, 2017

Open work permit received - 5th January, 2018 (with 2 years of validity)

Medical Passed- 20th June, 2018

Eligibility Passed (for both principal applicant and sponsor)- 20th July, 2018 (received on line email and a physical letter to my address)

Interview Request- 5th of August, 2018 at IRCC office (an invitation arrived on the registered email, they asked basic questions and more than interview it was a landing). Landing took place and my wife got Confirmation of PR letter (COPR) on the spot. This is a pilot program and not everyone is getting these letters. IRCC is selecting random candidates.

Overall processing time: 11 months.

Please note: At least in my case I included medical and police clearance along with the application rather than waiting for CIC to contact and then sending them.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Submit the medical result, once you submit in couple of months they will update the account stating medical passed, post that they will do the eligibility check and once that approves you are real close to get the PR itself.
It doesn't take a couple of months. Mine said medical passed within five days of me doing it and others have posted similar experiences. It seems immigration medical exams are given high priority (another user here posted that they updated to medical passed three days after the exam.)

yaya2016

Star Member
Mar 14, 2016
App. Filed.......
12-02-2018
AOR Received.
09-03-2018
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
08-08-2018
Med's Done....
13-08-2018
It doesn't take a couple of months. Mine said medical passed within five days of me doing it and others have posted similar experiences. It seems immigration medical exams are given high priority (another user here posted that they updated to medical passed three days after the exam.)
That's true. The doctor told my husband that he will give him pass 100% as it was instructed in the meeting.

iamvenus

Feb 5, 2014
Category........
FAM
From what I understand the risk is if you travel out of the country and do NOT hold a valid visa or ETA you can be denied entry this voiding your application.
The website states that if you hold a valid entry document you can return back into Canada. I never understood why this would be doubted - the country cannot hold you, in a sense, “hostage” since you have a PR in progress.
Or am I getting something wrong here?
As stated, anyone can travel out of Canada but coming back, even with a valid visa, CBSA can always deny you entry just like everybody else. That's the risk and when that happens, the sponsorship app is automatically cancelled.

Reactions: Evergreen_3034

iamvenus

Feb 5, 2014
Category........
FAM
Hi, I haven't seen a post yet regarding these questions.
To do an upfront medical exam, call the clinic and set up an appointment with a panel physician. Let them know you want an upfront medical exam. Ask what you need to bring. I suggest getting one done that does eMedical. After your exam, you will receive a receipt that contains your info. When you get a request from CIC to do a medical exam, submit a copy of the receipt via webform.

Reetypd

Star Member
Jan 10, 2018
As stated, anyone can travel out of Canada but coming back, even with a valid visa, CBSA can always deny you entry just like everybody else. That's the risk and when that happens, the sponsorship app is automatically cancelled.
Indeed you are right, CBSA agents have the authority to deny anyone to enter but what I want to just note is that the chances of being denied entry to the country are likely slim. Unless you’ve done something to warrant your entry refusal, you shouldn’t have any problem to enter or re-enter the country.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/reasons.html

Last edited:

iamvenus

Feb 5, 2014
Category........
FAM
Indeed you are right, CBSA agents have the authority to deny anyone to enter but what I want to just note is that the chances of being denied entry to the country are likely slim. Unless you’ve done something to warrant your entry refusal, you shouldn’t have any problem to enter or re-enter the country.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/reasons.html
There were a lot of applicants have gone out and came back without problems. I have yet to know someone that has been denied entry.

i_adrianes

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
@iamvenus hi venus. i am still unable to link my owp + restoration with my cic account. how long did it take you to link yours? i called and the agent said they have received it together with my PR app ( received the aor already ) and he said that it is received there and i just have to wait up to 4 months to hear anything i am kind of worried. which comes firsts? owp or restoration? or do they approve them altogether?

iamvenus

Feb 5, 2014
Category........
FAM
@iamvenus hi venus. i am still unable to link my owp + restoration with my cic account. how long did it take you to link yours? i called and the agent said they have received it together with my PR app ( received the aor already ) and he said that it is received there and i just have to wait up to 4 months to hear anything i am kind of worried. which comes firsts? owp or restoration? or do they approve them altogether?
EDITED

Can you find the post how to link the OWP? It's always the difficult one to upload. Also, make sure to use your passport info and date of birth to link it. Keep trying and easy to say, but be hopeful.

In my case, they were approved together. It was printed at the bottom of my permit that my status was also restored.

Last edited:

EJH

Star Member
Dec 12, 2017
so venus... can i travel or no?! 8D
As /u/iamvenus says, there are risks. And only you can weigh those risks for yourself.

My partner and I sent our application to CIC Mississauga on July 4th, for inland. On July 18th, we left Canada to visit family in Europe and Australia. We deemed the risk worth it, since we were visiting my partner's elderly grandmother(Europe), as well as my terminally ill father, and elderly grandmother(Australia). We had not yet received our AOR.

Upon our return to Toronto Pearson, we jointly went though the Canadian passport holders queue(at the direction of an official directing traffic). I had my IEC work permit paper(expired Feb 23rd 2018), and the Visitor Record granted me when I applied to Extend My Stay in January 2018. This was marked Not Valid For Re-Entry, but was valid for a year when granted.

The official enquired as to the reason for our trip, which was explained in brief as visiting family. I also said we had entered the application for PR as Spouse Sponsorship. I personally believe, given the trip was to visit family, and we traveled together, accompanied by my previous valid paperwork for Canada, was what convinced the CBSA agent to allow me entry. All in all, we were at her gate for less than 5 minutes.

I had also prepared documents to prove my ability to support myself, as had my partner, though these were not requested. She did enquire as to my partners work, verbally. I also had a copy of the Common Law Declaration from our application. She did not request to view it.

I will not say I was not nervous, but I also knew that had she decided to investigate further, she would have been hard pressed to find a reason to deny me entry. I could also have escalated the issue, had she been inclined to deny me.

I decided this was a risk worth taking, as we may not be able to visit Australia again as a couple soon, and it was perhaps the only chance my partner will get to meet my father and grandmother.

Previously, on my IEC OWP, I travelled in and out of Canada around 6 times by air with no issues at all.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: softgothk

vs28can

Dec 9, 2016
Agreed in my case i submitted the medical upfront, after the R10 check it took couple of months, should have been clearer.

Evergreen_3034

Jun 18, 2018
To do an upfront medical exam, call the clinic and set up an appointment with a panel physician. Let them know you want an upfront medical exam. Ask what you need to bring. I suggest getting one done that does eMedical. After your exam, you will receive a receipt that contains your info. When you get a request from CIC to do a medical exam, submit a copy of the receipt via webform.
Hello, thank you for your reply!

Reactions: abbeynaija