+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2018 Spousal Sponsorship in-land Applications: timeline and updates

Moek90

Star Member
Dec 14, 2017
Hi folks,

Just looking for a little guidance: got married to my lovely wife in August 2017, and we submitted our application in May (received May 15th). Three questions that I'd love some help with:
  1. Is it possible to link accounts before receiving the AOR? I have tried over and over and it never seems to work.
  2. I applied for an OWP - I paid fees of $255 (100 for the OWP fee, and 155 for the WP fee) - was that correct, or did I need to pay more? If incorrect, do I have to resend all of my documents (including police certificates and the like)?
  3. Having applied to the OWP, I found out that I was accepted for my PhD (currently here doing my Master's) and now I have to extend my study permit. Anyone know if there may be any issues with that?
Thanks in advance for your help - this forum has been a great resource!
Hey,

You cannot link your AOR before you have received it. After you receive your AOR, you wait for 5-7 days and than you'll be able to link your OWP application to your account. Seeing that you have payed the full amount, there's a big chance that everything is fine with your OWP application. To your 3rd question, I do not know the answer. Welcome to the forum Island Hopper!

Michyy

Star Member
Oct 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
06-02-2018
Doc's Request.
23-03-2018
AOR Received.
04-03-2018
Med's Request
02-08-2018
Med's Done....
13-08-2018
LANDED..........
15-03-2019
Seriously? So let's say, if this one is rejected, I would still be in status, because my pending OWP is still going? Even though that one was send in after my previous visa had ran out... So, because I send in the visitor visa extension, it actually gave me iimplied status at the time of getting my OWP returned.....is that right?? I think I'm starting to get it now haha
Yes that sounds about right. If you send in any type of extension/Change of status (I.e. work permit) application while you are in status, then you will have Implied status. So as long as one is pending, you should be good! :)

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Thanks for the info. I have added her my beneficiary for my life insurance. But all I can have is a screen shot my online account. There is no official letter from the insurance company. Is that acceptable?

I was able to open a ch account in her name as well as add here to my accounts and credit cards. The only issue i have is all that was done just a few days back so there is not much activity or a monthly statement. I can print the account activity online. Is CIC open to that.
We printed the page that showed that general info, that said I was the beneficiary.

For the bank thing, we sent in copies of our matching cards (blurred out the card numbers), and some page where it said I was the supplementary user on her account. Didn't care much about activity, we didn't have a lot either. We printed my wife's statements to show financial support (we highlighted stuff that fell under support).

cherie29

Jun 19, 2018
Hi guys!
I am new to this forum and i get confused right now.
I submitted my In-land sponsorship and OWP together on June 7 and received at the office on June 8.

For OWP fee, how much should i be paying? I paid $100 only
I thought it's only $100 for OWP holder? (p/s: I am holding visitor visa till August 22,2018)

Thanks in advance for any reply and advice.

iamvenus

Feb 5, 2014
Category........
FAM
Hi guys!
I am new to this forum and i get confused right now.
I submitted my In-land sponsorship and OWP together on June 7 and received at the office on June 8.

For OWP fee, how much should i be paying? I paid $100 only
I thought it's only $100 for OWP holder? (p/s: I am holding visitor visa till August 22,2018)

Thanks in advance for any reply and advice.
Total is $255. You should've also paid for the $155 for the work permit. The $100 is just the fee for making your permit unrestricted.

therock

Apr 14, 2015
I am at the same timeline as you- Jan 3rd. We have had the same action as you have (which is consistent with the normal timeline). Next step is Medical request, but we wont expect that until July or August. December apps are starting to get theirs...
Thanks for the reply. And that's comforting to know, that we're both on the same pace, ha.
Please keep me updated on your

Reactions: Can_loves_Aus

therock

Apr 14, 2015
Thanks for the reply. And that's comforting to know, that we're both on the same pace, ha.
Please keep me updated on your
Hey guys,

I applied for my PR under the Spousal In-Canada class on Jan 5, 2018. Since then about 5 weeks later, I was asked to submit my police clearance certificates which I did submit in March.
However, i havent heard anything back from IRCC ever since.

I keep checking online for the status, yet it states " your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start reviewing your eligibility."

It's been the same status for the last 4 months now, and it's been 6 months since I applied. I have the following questions:

Could anyone pls tell me if this is normal ?
What the next steps would be ?
And how long till the medical is requested?

Any help/ information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Also, Me and my wife are currently and applied in Toronto, Ontario. But we will be moving to Alberta in Aug. Hence we will be updating our address change online next month.
Would moving provinces make any difference in terms of the processing time, like a delta or something... ??

Pls. Advice me on this.

Vivian-inland

May 1, 2018
Also, Me and my wife are currently and applied in Toronto, Ontario. But we will be moving to Alberta in Aug. Hence we will be updating our address change online next month.
Would moving provinces make any difference in terms of the processing time, like a delta or something... ??

Pls. Advice me on this.
No, it's no different, just update you address will be ok. BTW,are you going to change the job as well? if so, you will need update that info too. And maybe your working letter as well.

Evergreen_3034

Jun 18, 2018
They sent me a medical request for the Spousal Sponsorship. To do an upfront medical exam, I think you just book an appointment with any designated physicians near you. Tell them you're doing an upfront medical exam and ask what they need from you.
Thank you Iamvenus!
I will follow up on this.

Best wishes to you and everyone!

Reactions: iamvenus

softgothk

Star Member
Jan 8, 2018
All,

I recieved my OWP papers today. However I could not find any SIN number on papers and I wonder how can I get my SIN number?
Google how to get a SIN number and it will have the checklist of what you need to bring and there will also be locator to tell you which centre to visit.

takz

Star Member
May 28, 2015
Hey there,

Thank you guys for this page, it's really comprehensive and helpful.

Another thing which I really need to be ensure is:

I want to visit my family this summer around end of August around 3 weeks, My Spousal sponsorship will be under process on that time and I already received my Open work permit + I granted with multi entry visitor visa and I am resident as implied status.

From my discussion with CIC clerk, she told ,it would not be problem and she forwarded me this message :

Implied status - Temporary resident

• If you apply to extend your stay at the latest on the expiry date of your status:
    • you will be considered in status as a temporary resident until a decision is made on your application.
  • If you apply for renewal of your work or study permit at the latest on the expiry date of your status, and your permit expires before a decision is made:
    • you can continue working or studying under the same conditions as your existing permit, as long as you remain in Canada.
Leaving and re-entering Canada while under implied status:

You may be authorized to re-enter Canada:

• As a temporary resident, if your application to extend your stay has not yet been approved (if applicable, it will be important to wait until you receive your new permit before you start to work/study):
    • this applies to you if, among other things:
      • you are temporary resident visa (TRV) exempt,
      • you hold a valid multiple-entry visa, or
      • you have travelled only to the United States (including its Territories and Possessions) and/or St.Pierre and Miquelon,
  • As a worker or student:
    • if the officer determines that your application to extend your permit was approved while you were outside Canada, or
    • if you are eligible to apply for a new work or study permit at your arrival in Canada.
An officer will ask you questions to see if you meet all of the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada.

Proof of implied status:

It is recommended that you provide these documents to prove that you have implied status:

• Your expired immigration document,
  • (If the application was submitted by paper) A copy of the application to extend your stay sent to the Case Processing Centre before the expiration date of your status,
  • (If the application was submitted online) A copy of the Confirmation of Online Application Transmission message in your online account,
  • A copy of the fee payment receipt included with the application, and
  • (If applicable) A delivery confirmation from the postal service provider used to send the application.
More information on implied status is also available on our website.

What do you think guys? Am I eligible to re entry to Canada after this visit?

Reetypd

Star Member
Jan 10, 2018
Hi guys.
Just wanted to get some info on how long you’ve had to wait on your AORs?
I sent my application May 1st (unfortunately and stupidly via regular Canada Post) and assume it would arrive at least within a week (May 8 approximately) and have yet to receive anything.
Any tips? At this point in time I’m getting quite concerned and upon my call to IRCC last week they couldn’t tell me that my application arrived.

iamvenus

Feb 5, 2014
Category........
FAM
Hey there,

Thank you guys for this page, it's really comprehensive and helpful.

Another thing which I really need to be ensure is:

I want to visit my family this summer around end of August around 3 weeks, My Spousal sponsorship will be under process on that time and I already received my Open work permit + I granted with multi entry visitor visa and I am resident as implied status.

From my discussion with CIC clerk, she told ,it would not be problem and she forwarded me this message :

Implied status - Temporary resident

• If you apply to extend your stay at the latest on the expiry date of your status:
    • you will be considered in status as a temporary resident until a decision is made on your application.
  • If you apply for renewal of your work or study permit at the latest on the expiry date of your status, and your permit expires before a decision is made:
    • you can continue working or studying under the same conditions as your existing permit, as long as you remain in Canada.
Leaving and re-entering Canada while under implied status:

You may be authorized to re-enter Canada:

• As a temporary resident, if your application to extend your stay has not yet been approved (if applicable, it will be important to wait until you receive your new permit before you start to work/study):
    • this applies to you if, among other things:
      • you are temporary resident visa (TRV) exempt,
      • you hold a valid multiple-entry visa, or
      • you have travelled only to the United States (including its Territories and Possessions) and/or St.Pierre and Miquelon,
  • As a worker or student:
    • if the officer determines that your application to extend your permit was approved while you were outside Canada, or
    • if you are eligible to apply for a new work or study permit at your arrival in Canada.
An officer will ask you questions to see if you meet all of the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada.

Proof of implied status:

It is recommended that you provide these documents to prove that you have implied status:

• Your expired immigration document,
  • (If the application was submitted by paper) A copy of the application to extend your stay sent to the Case Processing Centre before the expiration date of your status,
  • (If the application was submitted online) A copy of the Confirmation of Online Application Transmission message in your online account,
  • A copy of the fee payment receipt included with the application, and
  • (If applicable) A delivery confirmation from the postal service provider used to send the application.
More information on implied status is also available on our website.

What do you think guys? Am I eligible to re entry to Canada after this visit?
I would advise you to leave the country once you have your work permit on hand and your TRV stamped on your passport. Just to be clear, however, there is still a chance for you to be denied upon entry like everyone else and if that happens, your Spousal Sponsorship application will not be processed anymore.