+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2 part-time semesters will effect PGWP?

qweqwe

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
My school advisor said it really depends on officer. But we still have hope as long as we continued full time study in rest of program without any break

qweqwe

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
Hey guys, last 2 semester of mine were part-time. I submitted my application for PGWP on March 20 and my application got approved on May 22. I submitted transcript and program completion letter from registrar office. I did explained why I was part time in LoE, I asked my department to write letter for me. So I guess if you submit proper rationale for being part time that should be fine.
Good luck to all of you.
Thank you for sharing your story here and congrats!!!
Can I ask you about your rationale for being part time and the number of credits you took in part time semesters?

xhalae

Jul 20, 2017
My school advisor said it really depends on officer. But we still have hope as long as we continued full time study in rest of program without any break
Hi, I've been full time in all the semesters except for one which was in my 3rd year of a 4 year coure when I had to be part time because I dropped 2 courses because I was failing them, is there any way I can still get a PGWP?

qweqwe

Star Member
Aug 14, 2019
Hi, I've been full time in all the semesters except for one which was in my 3rd year of a 4 year coure when I had to be part time because I dropped 2 courses because I was failing them, is there any way I can still get a PGWP?
Dropping the classes were your choice despite you had to maintain full time status. If your academic advisor can write a letter saying they recommended dropping those courses to you to stay in good standing, it will be okay.

If you cannot get the letter, write a letter of explanation to explain why you had to drop the courses. Officers know whether you are lying or not. Never make up anything in the letter. I said I actively pursued academic learning even with the part time semester. Officer will understand you. Don’t worry.

Reactions: xhalae

hkang12

May 7, 2019
Dropping the classes were your choice despite you had to maintain full time status. If your academic advisor can write a letter saying they recommended dropping those courses to you to stay in good standing, it will be okay.

If you cannot get the letter, write a letter of explanation to explain why you had to drop the courses. Officers know whether you are lying or not. Never make up anything in the letter. I said I actively pursued academic learning even with the part time semester. Officer will understand you. Don’t worry.
Best option is to add a letter of explanation with you application. a detail explanation will work. it worked for me nd qweqwe

Reactions: xhalae

Jaspreet868

Jan 21, 2020
Hi , I Recently graduated and want to apply for PGWP. But in my second semester Fall 2017, I Withdraw one course near final exams. But it still appears on my final transcript. Just wondering is that gonna effect my PGWP. But I have been full time throughout my academic year.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Hi , I Recently graduated and want to apply for PGWP. But in my second semester Fall 2017, I Withdraw one course near final exams. But it still appears on my final transcript. Just wondering is that gonna effect my PGWP. But I have been full time throughout my academic year.
Did the withdrawal make you a part-time student in Fall 2017?

Jaspreet868

Jan 21, 2020
I don’t exectly know. But my 2017 tax form T220 says that I was a full time student during Fall 2017. Is W on your transcript makes you part time according the immigration decision.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I don’t exectly know. But my 2017 tax form T220 says that I was a full time student during Fall 2017. Is W on your transcript makes you part time according the immigration decision.
It depends on how many courses you took that semester and how many courses your institution considers full time.

Example: if your institution considers 9 credits as full time, and this course you dropped was 3 credits, then you only had 6 credits that semester and may not have been considered a full-time student.

Jaspreet868

Jan 21, 2020
But why my college form says that I’m a full time student. I withdrew that course because it has pre req that I haven’t done. So is that a valid reason to explain to immigration.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
But why my college form says that I’m a full time student. I withdrew that course because it has pre req that I haven’t done. So is that a valid reason to explain to immigration.
The question is did you take enough other courses that semester to be full time. If you did, then you're fine.