+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2,3 times a week border crossing to US

SayMyName

Feb 18, 2023
Guys, I have a quick question. People who travel to US everyday, week or multiple times a month on H1 or TN. Does CBP issue you new I-94 # every time you travel?

Thanls!

bd2017

Mar 20, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
No you get issued one i94 when you cross the first time on your status and it lasts the entirety of your visa duration.

wink

May 25, 2021
In my experience (land border crossing on H1) what I have seen is that when a new I-94 would be issued is bit of random. I was issued a new I-94 even when I had a valid I-94 and sometime I-94 got issued on my old passport, etc.... (at the border I was simply asked to proceed, but when I check the cbp's website later I would see that a new I-94 is issued). For a year also I did not know this is happening, so I don't have I-94s of those times. Since I had a valid paper I-94 stapled on my passport, I did not suspect that there would be a new I-94. My advise would be to check every time on their website to see whether there is a new I-94 and download it immediately as you would lose it when a new one is issued. You never know when you would need them.

Last edited:

veniCA

Feb 3, 2023
In my experience (land border crossing on H1) what I have seen is that when a new I-94 would be issued is bit of random.
I don't think it's random at all. You are issued a new i94 every time you enter/exit the country. I crossed the border 4 times last year, once by air and three times by land and the dates were logged to my i94 history each time. They're also no longer issuing paper i94 cards. You'll see your entry/exit dates in i94 history on DHS website.

SayMyName

Feb 18, 2023
For folks on H1, Did your employer do i9 employment verification every time a new i94 was issued? Or was it just done once when you were newly hired?

wink

May 25, 2021
I don't think it's random at all. You are issued a new i94 every time you enter/exit the country. I crossed the border 4 times last year, once by air and three times by land and the dates were logged to my i94 history each time. They're also no longer issuing paper i94 cards. You'll see your entry/exit dates in i94 history on DHS website.
If one is holding 797B, and crossing the land border for the first time (after visa approval), they would be issued paper I-94. I also crossed the border (air/land) more than 50 times (in last 5 years alone), but it does not matter.

They're also no longer issuing paper i94 cards
I am not aware.... since when?

Last edited:

SayMyName

Feb 18, 2023
If one is holding 797B, and crossing the land border for the first time (after visa approval), they would be issued paper I-94. I also crossed the border (air/land) more than 50 times (in last 5 years alone), but it does not matter.

I am not aware.... since when?
Were you on H1?, Did your employer do i9 employment verification every time a new i94 was issued? Or was it just done once when you were newly hired?

veniCA

Feb 3, 2023
Is 797B H1B? I was on H1B last year and the "Most Recent i-94" record on DHS website shows my most recent entry date into the US and the Travel History tab shows my every entry/exit to and from the US, including the latest dates. I didn't get a paper i94 card.

SayMyName

Feb 18, 2023
Is 797B H1B? I was on H1B last year and the "Most Recent i-94" record on DHS website shows my most recent entry date into the US and the Travel History tab shows my every entry/exit to and from the US, including the latest dates. I didn't get a paper i94 card.
Did your employer do i9 employment verification every time a new i94 was issued? Or was it just done once when you were newly hired?

veniCA

Feb 3, 2023
While entering, did you have a valid i94? and was it land border crossing? The scenario I described was when one's first entry (after a fresh H1B 797B) is via land border.
I did not have a valid i94 when I entered US the first time last year through land with a new H1B (stamped visa). I got my first i94 date marked on that visit. I had to make a few trips subsequently between US and Canada, and each time my most recent entry date was registered as the "Most recent i94".