File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm sorry, but I don't understand. I was under the impression that the requirement was 1560hrs of work done AND 1yr duration. I should easily hit 1600hrs by mid November assuming I don't take any breaks and 1yr of work duration should be complete by December 15th 2018.

Sorry, but if its not too much trouble,could you explain how you arrived at Jan 2019?

EDIT: Yes, this is all on my work permit and not done while studying full time in college.
No - that's not how the math works.

Here's how the math works:

Each week you worked full time is counted as 1 week (it doesn't matter if you worked 30 hours, 40 hours or 90 hours that week).

For all part time weeks, calculate the total number of hours and divide by 30.

Add the two numbers above. When they total 52 weeks - you can apply.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm sorry, but I don't understand. I was under the impression that the requirement was 1560hrs of work done AND 1yr duration. I should easily hit 1600hrs by mid November assuming I don't take any breaks and 1yr of work duration should be complete by December 15th 2018.

Sorry, but if its not too much trouble,could you explain how you arrived at Jan 2019?

EDIT: Yes, this is all on my work permit and not done while studying full time in college.
I was going to explain but I can't add much to what scylla has already said.

Reactions: trickshot555

trickshot555

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
No - that's not how the math works.

Here's how the math works:

Each week you worked full time is counted as 1 week (it doesn't matter if you worked 30 hours, 40 hours or 90 hours that week).

For all part time weeks, calculate the total number of hours and divide by 30.

Add the two numbers above. When they total 52 weeks - you can apply.
I was going to explain but I can't add much to what scylla has already said.
Alright now I get it. Thank you guys, that was most helpful.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I have been working part time (Type A job- single shift/7hrs per week) on December 15th 2017, however I will also start a different full time job (Type A as well) from Feb 4th which will entail working 40-45hrs per week. I should make 1600hrs by mid November.
The only thing I would add to what Scylla and DelPiero have explained, just to be crystal-clear, is that if you continue to work the part-time job after you start the full-time job, it does not really benefit you in terms of qualifying experience, because if you work 45 hours in Job A + 7 hours in Job B per week, that still equals ... one full-time week. You could not add up all the part-time hours for the same weeks that you worked full-time...

Reactions: trickshot555

trickshot555

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Thanks scylla, jes_ON, delpiero07 for all the help.

I have another query- my work permit expires on Jan 11th 2019 and I'll only have 1yr of work experience for the CEC by end Jan 2019 thereby not qualifying for CEC-PR in time. However, my friend suggested I apply for a work permit extension without an LMIA (during which I will be given 2 months to produce an LMIA) and use those 2 months as further work experience.

Then having completed 1yr and meeting all other requirements- get the invitation and apply end Feb/early March for CEC, cancel my existing work permit extension and then apply for a bridging work permit and so forth ....

Do you think I can do this? Work 1 month extra on my work permit without producing LMIA and using that experience to make a full year experience thereby completing requirements for CEC. I'll have the rest of the stuff ready like the minimum bank balance, ielts results, police record, etc and should be around 460-480 points.

If it helps I'm currently in Nova Scotia.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks scylla, jes_ON, delpiero07 for all the help.

I have another query- my work permit expires on Jan 11th 2019 and I'll only have 1yr of work experience for the CEC by end Jan 2019 thereby not qualifying for CEC-PR in time. However, my friend suggested I apply for a work permit extension without an LMIA (during which I will be given 2 months to produce an LMIA) and use those 2 months as further work experience.

Then having completed 1yr and meeting all other requirements- get the invitation and apply end Feb/early March for CEC, cancel my existing work permit extension and then apply for a bridging work permit and so forth ....

Do you think I can do this? Work 1 month extra on my work permit without producing LMIA and using that experience to make a full year experience thereby completing requirements for CEC. I'll have the rest of the stuff ready like the minimum bank balance, ielts results, police record, etc and should be around 460-480 points.

If it helps I'm currently in Nova Scotia.
You should assume this won't work. CIC has started cracking down on people who apply for work permit extensions without qualifying for one. They are typically now returning these applications as incomplete (rather than refusing them). When an application is returned as incomplete, you go out of status in Canada effective they day your original work permit expired. This also means you don't have implied status and any work experience gained after the expiry of your original work permit is counted as unauthorized work (and therefore cannot be counted towards PR). So if this happens to you, you'll have less than a year of work experience, will be out of status in Canada and the BOWP & PR application under CEC will be refused as well.

You need to find a way to legally extend your work permit (e.g. through finding an employer willing to obtain an approved LMIA) if you want to gain a year of work experience and be able to apply under CEC.

trickshot555

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
You should assume this won't work. CIC has started cracking down on people who apply for work permit extensions without qualifying for one. They are typically now returning these applications as incomplete (rather than refusing them). When an application is returned as incomplete, you go out of status in Canada effective they day your original work permit expired. This also means you don't have implied status and any work experience gained after the expiry of your original work permit is counted as unauthorized work (and therefore cannot be counted towards PR). So if this happens to you, you'll have less than a year of work experience, will be out of status in Canada and the BOWP & PR application under CEC will be refused as well.

You need to find a way to legally extend your work permit (e.g. through finding an employer willing to obtain an approved LMIA) if you want to gain a year of work experience and be able to apply under CEC.
Thank you scylla. Thats really depressing news. The studio I'm with only moved forward with my application after my 1yr pgwp arrived and they'll never provide me with an LMIA by next year. Ah well, may as well make the most of this year.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you scylla. Thats really depressing news. The studio I'm with only moved forward with my application after my 1yr pgwp arrived and they'll never provide me with an LMIA by next year. Ah well, may as well make the most of this year.
You have time to look for another employer who may be willing to go through the LMIA process before your PGWP expires. So that is certainly an option open to you if remaining in Canada is a priority.

It's a shame you didn't take a two year program to qualify for a three year PGWP. Anyway - that's water under the bridge now.

rodrigopaixao

Aug 24, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Hey guys, I have a question:

I have 1 year and 10 months of Canadian work experience. I am waiting two more months to have 104 weeks or 2 years (3120 hours).
My question is, 2 years experience works exactly the same way as 1 year, right? We should wait the number of hours and weeks, right?

Thanks.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hey guys, I have a question:

I have 1 year and 10 months of Canadian work experience. I am waiting two more months to have 104 weeks or 2 years (3120 hours).
My question is, 2 years experience works exactly the same way as 1 year, right? We should wait the number of hours and weeks, right?
??? Are you full-time or part-time? If you are full-time (30 or more hours per week), then you don't count hours at all - just weeks - 52 weeks = 1 year, 104 weeks =2 years, etc.

If you are part-time and need to count hours, it will take longer than one year to work the equivalent of 1 year of full-time work, etc.

rodrigopaixao

Aug 24, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
??? Are you full-time or part-time? If you are full-time (30 or more hours per week), then you don't count hours at all - just weeks - 52 weeks = 1 year, 104 weeks =2 years, etc.

If you are part-time and need to count hours, it will take longer than one year to work the equivalent of 1 year of full-time work, etc.
Sorry! I didnt provide the details. Yes I am fulltime. I was junt trying to confirm because some friends told me that when you have 2 years they count differently. I didnt see anything related to this on CIC.

Thanks @jes_ON

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Sorry! I didnt provide the details. Yes I am fulltime. I was junt trying to confirm because some friends told me that when you have 2 years they count differently. I didnt see anything related to this on CIC.

Thanks @jes_ON
Hmmm... they might mean you don't have to wait to submit your profile for the 2nd year.

meeting the first year is part of the minimum entry requirements, and MUST be met at the time of the ITA.

meeting the 2nd year only affects your CRS score, and as long as you have completed the 2nd year by the time you submit the eAPR, IRCC will accept it.

IceD.

Star Member
Mar 17, 2018
Clarifications on feeds I have read:
1. Your 1 yr work experience starts on the date you started working after you receive your confirmation of graduation? Ex:
graduation: march 1, 2017
work: march 2, 2017 (SP still valid)
Apply for pgwp: march 3, 2017
Receive pgwp: june 3, 2017
1 year exp (assuming full time with no unpaid leaves) = March 2, 2018

2. Will a homebased work (remote) for a company in Canada (declared in tax returns, etc) be counted for CEC? The applicant has PGWP and has been working full time but at a work from home company in Canada.

3. If an international student graduate in Canada applies for CEC (PGWP only has 2 months left), can that person still stay in Canada while the application is in process? Will he be on an implied status and continue to work?

4. For a 1 yr international student graduate with 1 yr pgwp (possible extra month due to the pgwp processing time), is it better to apply using EE or CEC?

Thanks in advance.

starh

Apr 29, 2018
Hi, I have 20 months work experience right now but I worked more than 30 hours per week so my total working hours is equal to 3120. Can I count the extra hours or it has to be the number of weeks?