+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1 year Work permit instead of 3 years

kamal08x

Jan 31, 2017
Hi all,

After completing 2 years of study (continuos), i applied for post graduation work permit online. I got a new message few days ago, stating that your application is approved and when i checked it was showing Permit - WP- EXT and validity is only for 1 year.

Can anybody please help me, why it is showing for only 1 year. I haven't got Paper Work permit yet. i called CIC but they told me to call back after i get work permit.

I am worried. Please anybody help.

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Maybe a stupid question but when does your passport expire ? Also did the documentation from the college actually confirm you attended a 2 year program ? Did you make any mistakes that might not have been obvious with the online application ?

kamal08x

Jan 31, 2017
Hi

My passport is expiring in 2024 and i have uploaded both transcript and degree letter from the college. I think i haven't made any mistakes. I checked it again and my education and work permit type was correct.

Thanks for replying.

TomasX90

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
kamal08x said:
Hi

My passport is expiring in 2024 and i have uploaded both transcript and degree letter from the college. I think i haven't made any mistakes. I checked it again and my education and work permit type was correct.

Thanks for replying.
Technically speaking they can give you a WP for whatever time period they want to. It doesn't necessarily have to be 3 years WP if you studied for 2 years. It can be a mistake on their side. Or they just think that the school you studied is not "good enough". What school did you attend if you don't mind me asking?

kamal08x

Jan 31, 2017
i studied in columbia college and it is designated learning institute. All of my friends got 3 years work permit and according to work permit rules they can't give me work permit for less than the period of time i have studied.

TomasX90

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
kamal08x said:
i studied in columbia college and it is designated learning institute. All of my friends got 3 years work permit and according to work permit rules they can't give me work permit for less than the period of time i have studied.
Idk man, 2 years is a big difference. I'd try to talk to a lawyer if I were you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
kamal08x said:
Can anybody please help me, why it is showing for only 1 year. I haven't got Paper Work permit yet. i called CIC but they told me to call back after i get work permit.
It was probably just a simple mistake. Call back when the actual work permit arrives and they will send an inquiry to have the permit corrected if it was a mistake.

newuxtreme

Apr 20, 2015
This has happened to someone I know before, you can address this. The person I know of just hired a lawyer for the same and got the full time their batchmates got.