+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Young American looking into immigration

Tithis

Dec 3, 2012
Greetings.

I’m a 23 year old American male nearing completion of my Bachelors degree in Computer Information Systems from a Massachusetts state university. I also already process an Associate degree in the same field from an accredited community college.
Unfortunately there are not many jobs in my field in my current location and the fact is my best chance of finding decent employment in my field is to leave. Obviously there are numerous option in the United States, but unlike most youth of my generation I harbor no dreams of moving away to warm sunlit places like the American south or California. Instead I find I’m the oddball who enjoys the depth of winter better and hates the summer. I already consider where I live to be warmer than I’d prefer and there really aren’t any US cities north of me with a decent tech industry.
And so I’ve been increasingly considering the option of immigrating to Canada to work in the tech industry in Ottawa.

I’ve looked into the Federal Skilled Workers program, but understand it is currently closed and going under revision. Under the current system I would require at least 4 years of experience in my field to get 67 pts without any further education. I could reduce the years of experience I need to 2 if I could also prove basic proficiency in French (I know a bit but would certainly need work to get it passable).
I’ve read through the new proposed standards and would benefit greatly from them. Under the new system with just 2 years of job experience I would pass with 68pts.
One thing I have been wondering though is how my degrees will be treated and evaluated by both immigration and potential employers. I imagine that degrees from accredited schools in the US or UK are about the best you could have in terms of being accepted. With the old system the only one of my degrees that would really matter would be my bachelors, however in the education section of the new system I’m wondering if my associates could give me an extra point.
Three-year or longer post-secondary credential: 21pts
vs
Two or more post-secondary credentials, one of which is a three-year or longer post-secondary credential: 22pts

This extra point isn’t overly important, but getting it could potentially allow me to at least get my application in a year earlier. I doubt I’d actually move any earlier, but it could still give me an extra year to plan and save knowing I’d be able to get in.

Not sure if I missed anything, possibly with the education thing regarding this whole bit
“Education points would be awarded based on the equivalent Canadian educational credential and points would be redistributed in recognition of the credential's relevance in the Canadian labor market.”
Not sure how that would affect me. Anyways this is still a few years off for me and I’m really just in the preliminary planning stages, but any suggestions you might have or oversights of mine you’ve noticed would be greatly appreciates.

I also have a bit of a secondary question. I know in the past there was political oppression of French Canadians in Canada, and while the conditions have of course improved I know there is still contention between the French and English Canadians. I’ve found little information on how deeply these negative feelings may be rooted, but it is of some interest to me since I’m nearly half French Canadian and have a French Canadian surname. Do you think any of this would affect my ability to find a job?

Well this has gone on long enough now. I’ll be checking in and lurking the forums for awhile. I greatly appreciate any answers to my questions or advice you may have. Thank you :)

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with app - 8.5 band score
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2011[br][br]ECAS[br]Recd By VO.....: 11-Feb-2011[br]In Process.......: 15-Mar-2011[br]Decision Made.: 25-Jun-2011
Hi - as a new graduate as you say it's going to be difficult getting the experience needed to meet 67 points if you go with FSWP (which is basically the re-vamped FSW1). Although it has not yet re-opened I believe they will require at least 1 year's work experience in a Type 0, A or B job.

However, do not despair.

You have a couple of routes open to you (which may be better anyway):

1) FSW2 - this is Federal Skilled Worker, but you apply with a job offer from a Canadian employer. This can be in the form on an AOE (Arranged Employment Offer) where you don't start work until after your PR is granted. However, since few employers are willing to wait 1+ year for the PR to come through, this isn't a very common option. A more common option for FSW2 is to get a job offer and then the employer applies for an LMO (Labour Market Opinion). They'll need to prove they have been advertising the job for at least 2 weeks on jobbank during the past 3 months without a suitable Canadian citizen or resident being able to fill the post. Then once granted you apply for a temporary work permit, and then apply for residency whilst working in Canada under the permit.

2) Provincial nomination - similar to FSW2 in that you still have to secure a job offer, but basically rather than apply for an LMO, you and the employer together apply for provincial nomination if the province believes your skills are in demand. Once granted this negates the need for an LMO.

For FSW2 getting a job offer will grant you 15 extra points in the points matrix (10 in its own right and 5 towards adaptability) which should give you more than enough points to be eligible.

If you're dead set on a move to Canada I'd look at seeing if you can secure a job offer and go down that route.

When the FSWP/FSW1 re-opens early next year it's going to be a heck of a scrabble as the cap will likely fill very quickly. And also without a job offer and sufficient work experience you may struggle to obtain enough points.

Best of luck,
Wayne.

Tithis

Dec 3, 2012
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't intend to apply immediately upon my graduation this spring. I understand work experience is required and my current plan to is to move temporarily out east to Boston or south to Hartford to gain 2 to 3 years of job experience in my field. I likely wouldn't actually apply until 2014 or 2015.

A factor I've been considering is whether both of my degrees would be recognized. If just my bachelors is recognized I'd imagine I'd get 21pts (Three-year or longer post-secondary credential), however if my associates is also recognized I wonder if I would get 22pts instead (Two or more post-secondary credentials, one of which is a three-year or longer post-secondary credential)

Both of my schools are accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, which itself is recognized by the US Secretary of Education.

My interest with that is that extra point may make a difference in which year I can first apply, although I'd still spend the extra year in the states saving and preparing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Tithis said:
I also have a bit of a secondary question. I know in the past there was political oppression of French Canadians in Canada, and while the conditions have of course improved I know there is still contention between the French and English Canadians. I've found little information on how deeply these negative feelings may be rooted, but it is of some interest to me since I'm nearly half French Canadian and have a French Canadian surname. Do you think any of this would affect my ability to find a job?
No - this certainly won't affect your ability to find a job.