+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Written authorization for parent accompanying international student

Gordon507

Sep 30, 2020
Hi,

My brother (15 years old) is on a study permit and is traveling to Canada mid-August for the first time to start the new school year dad is planning to accompany him on his flight and stay for a few weeks to help him establish himself initially.

My dad’s eTA has already been approved and has submitted a request for written authorization from IRCC to travel. However, the turnaround time may be too late for the flight.

Since he’s the immediate family member of the study permit holder, is it possible for him to enter Canada without the written authorization?

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

My brother (15 years old) is on a study permit and is traveling to Canada mid-August for the first time to start the new school year dad is planning to accompany him on his flight and stay for a few weeks to help him establish himself initially.

My dad’s eTA has already been approved and has submitted a request for written authorization from IRCC to travel. However, the turnaround time may be too late for the flight.

Since he’s the immediate family member of the study permit holder, is it possible for him to enter Canada without the written authorization?

Thanks.
No it’s not possible. Your brother should have a custodian and guardian in Canada.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/answers/foreign-non-us-family-tr

Edit: this is very confusing. Although it says you need written authorization it doesn’t lead to the normal written authorization application so perhaps that has been eliminated. I thought that was only eliminated in September.

Last edited:

Gordon507

Sep 30, 2020
No it’s not possible. Your brother should have a custodian and guardian in Canada.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/answers/foreign-non-us-family-tr

Edit: this is very confusing. Although it says you need written authorization it doesn’t lead to the normal written authorization application so perhaps that has been eliminated. I thought that was only eliminated in September.
My family came across this webpage when planning their flight. It says that If the parent travels with the student, they don’t need a written authorization from IRCC to travel with the student. However, they must show that their reasons for travel are non-discretionary (non-optional).

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/visitors-workers-students#family-of-students

And since my brother is a minor, we thought it could justify my dad traveling with him, even though he will be living with his guardian in Canada.

fingers crossed I guess…

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My family came across this webpage when planning their flight. It says that If the parent travels with the student, they don’t need a written authorization from IRCC to travel with the student. However, they must show that their reasons for travel are non-discretionary (non-optional).

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/visitors-workers-students#family-of-students

And since my brother is a minor, we thought it could justify my dad traveling with him, even though he will be living with his guardian in Canada.

fingers crossed I guess…
Unfortunately there's no clear answer. Yes, you need to show travel is non-discretionary. You'll find out when you try to board the plane.

Gordon507

Sep 30, 2020
Thank you all for your help!

An update for those who stumble upon this thread:
IRCC managed to gave me a written authorization two days before my scheduled flight. My dad was asked to provide supporting documents when checking-in, for which he submitted the letter.