+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Permit (Trinidad and tobago Visa Office)

kaez

May 3, 2015
Hello everyone! i am new to the forum but i am a new registered user though. i have been reading these threads for ages now but through my months of researching i seem to cannot find the answer for the question i am about to ask, so i am assuming it will be very difficult to answer. i actually have 2 questions.

does anyone have any experience of applying for their work permit through Port of Spain Trinidad? CIC website says processing time takes 1 month. I applied since Feb 21st 2015 it's an open work permit i applied for. I have gotten a few updates stating my application has been updated and a few stating there are no updates. today is now May 3rd 2015 and still nothing. i have sent a few emails to them and still waiting for a reply, and also made a few phone calls but they said i have to contact them through emails. Is this suppose to take this long?

My other question is: I am from a visa exempt country in the Common Wealth. While waiting on my open work permit to be approved or denied can i travel to Canada on Vacation? If while i am in Canada and i get an email stating that my work permit is approved well what can i do? can i take it to a immigration office inside Canada to get my work permit? :( Can it work that way? thanks. 8)

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
kaez said:
Hello everyone! i am new to the forum but i am a new registered user though. i have been reading these threads for ages now but through my months of researching i seem to cannot find the answer for the question i am about to ask, so i am assuming it will be very difficult to answer. i actually have 2 questions.

does anyone have any experience of applying for their work permit through Port of Spain Trinidad? CIC website says processing time takes 1 month. I applied since Feb 21st 2015 it's an open work permit i applied for. I have gotten a few updates stating my application has been updated and a few stating there are no updates. today is now May 3rd 2015 and still nothing. i have sent a few emails to them and still waiting for a reply, and also made a few phone calls but they said i have to contact them through emails. Is this suppose to take this long?

My other question is: I am from a visa exempt country in the Common Wealth. While waiting on my open work permit to be approved or denied can i travel to Canada on Vacation? If while i am in Canada and i get an email stating that my work permit is approved well what can i do? can i take it to a immigration office inside Canada to get my work permit? :( Can it work that way? thanks. 8)

Hi.

It's great to see another Caribbean national on here. I am Jamaica and am also waiting on the results of my application. The High Commission of Canada in Jamaica has a Facebook page where they post updates so I suppose the on in Trinidad will have one as well.

Until two weeks ago there had been no processing of work permits in Jamaica as they were focused on student permit applications for May intake. I expect it was the same in Trinidad and so it took a bit longer. You will likely have a result soon.

Yes you can visit Canada while your permit is being processed. If your application is approved you would need to take your approval letter and other docs to a point of entry. This could be a land border or you can fly out and then fly back into Canada to receive your permit.

Good luck

kaez

May 3, 2015
thank you soo much for you quick reply. but how certain are you that i can do that? meaning travel to Canada while waiting on my work permit?

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
kaez said:
thank you soo much for you quick reply. but how certain are you that i can do that? meaning travel to Canada while waiting on my work permit?
You are visa exempt so you can travel as a visitor with no issue. Many others have done so and maybe some of them will pop in to reassure you.

kaez

May 3, 2015
I do know my rights about traveling to Canada because i am from a visa exempt country, but i had just wanted to know the part of how to get the work permit without leaving Canada. You have been very helpful and yes it's good to see others from the Caribbean as well.

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
kaez said:
I do know my rights about traveling to Canada because i am from a visa exempt country, but i had just wanted to know the part of how to get the work permit without leaving Canada. You have been very helpful and yes it's good to see others from the Caribbean as well.

You will have to leave Canada which can be as simple as driving to a border with the US and then turning around. You will see that referred to as flagpoling. If you are not in close enough proximity to a border with the US you will have to fly out and fly back in.

kaez

May 3, 2015
i do not have a Us visa so i will not be able to drive out of Canada border, turn around then go back in Canada. i think the easiest way is to fly out then fly back in :( i will have to make a decision on that then. but if someone else has any suggestions or have done this before please feel free to share. Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kaez said:
i do not have a Us visa so i will not be able to drive out of Canada border, turn around then go back in Canada. i think the easiest way is to fly out then fly back in :( i will have to make a decision on that then. but if someone else has any suggestions or have done this before please feel free to share. Thanks.
You don't need a US visa to flagpole at a land border and obtain a work permit. If you search for the term 'flagpole' on this forum you will find tons of threads discussing the process.

Andreah

Dec 30, 2014
kaez said:

Hi kaez I to have applied to CIC in Trinidad for an employer specific work permit my application date is (December 31st 2014) I was sent for my medical 3 months & 17 days after I applied. I had it done and it showed I passed the medical on myCIC account on 29th April. As of today the only thing I have heard after that is my application is in process and that I will be advised accordingly. I believe that the one month processing time CIC has posted is totally inaccurate, I applied early to prevent any delays and here I am almost 5 months later still awaiting my work permit. I am assuming that they are almost finished with my application so I just have to wait for my application approval and my passport request now. I hope it doesn't take too much longer I need to start my new job asap.

I will let you know how it works out with CIC Port of Spain and I am praying for us all

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
Andreah said:
Hi kaez I to have applied to CIC in Trinidad for an employer specific work permit my application date is (December 31st 2014) I was sent for my medical 3 months & 17 days after I applied. I had it done and it showed I passed the medical on myCIC account on 29th April. As of today the only thing I have heard after that is my application is in process and that I will be advised accordingly. I believe that the one month processing time CIC has posted is totally inaccurate, I applied early to prevent any delays and here I am almost 5 months later still awaiting my work permit. I am assuming that they are almost finished with my application so I just have to wait for my application approval and my passport request now. I hope it doesn't take too much longer I need to start my new job asap.

I will let you know how it works out with CIC Port of Spain and I am praying for us all
Damn! Hi Andreah. I remember you from the Visa Office section of the forum. Can't believe you're still waiting. I'm applied for work permit at the Kingston Office at the end of February and am still waiting myself. Processing time of 2 months is now long gone and I haven't even had a medical request so.....

Andreah

Dec 30, 2014
ButterflyChemist said:
Damn! Hi Andreah. I remember you from the Visa Office section of the forum. Can't believe you're still waiting. I'm applied for work permit at the Kingston Office at the end of February and am still waiting myself. Processing time of 2 months is now long gone and I haven't even had a medical request so.....
Hi everyone just an update on my application I finally got my ppr ;D ;D :D yesterday 21st May 2015.
Dropped off my passport at the VAC today and they said it should take 3-5 working days for the stamping process to be completed for online apps so I will wait to see

This is a copy of the letter they sent minus my details
Dear*************
This is in reference to your application for temporary residence. A decision has been made on your application. We require your passport to finalize processing your application.
Passport requirements
• Please provide your passport or travel document, with a copy of this letter.
• There must be at least one blank page in your passport.
• Your passport must be valid for the duration of your expected length of stay in Canada.
• Please note that we cannot issue a visa beyond the expiry date on the passport.

Your passport must be received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada within 30 days from the date of this letter. Failure to do so could result in the refusal of your application. Please ensure that a copy of this letter is included with your passport.

To find out where to send your passport, visit our website: *********cant post link to website
Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada

This shows they are working which is great news, more passport and medical requests to come for everyone ;D ;D ;) ;)

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
Andreah said:
Hi everyone just an update on my application I finally got my ppr ;D ;D :D yesterday 21st May 2015.
Dropped off my passport at the VAC today and they said it should take 3-5 working days for the stamping process to be completed for online apps so I will wait to see

This is a copy of the letter they sent minus my details
Dear*************
This is in reference to your application for temporary residence. A decision has been made on your application. We require your passport to finalize processing your application.
Passport requirements
• Please provide your passport or travel document, with a copy of this letter.
• There must be at least one blank page in your passport.
• Your passport must be valid for the duration of your expected length of stay in Canada.
• Please note that we cannot issue a visa beyond the expiry date on the passport.

Your passport must be received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada within 30 days from the date of this letter. Failure to do so could result in the refusal of your application. Please ensure that a copy of this letter is included with your passport.

To find out where to send your passport, visit our website: *********cant post link to website
Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada

This shows they are working which is great news, more passport and medical requests to come for everyone ;D ;D ;) ;)
Congrats Andreah! Lord knows its about time. Twelve weeks gone and not even a medical request here. Maybe next week is my week. I've been telling myself that but its been kinda getting old. Lol. All the best. Let me know how long it the stamping actually takes. :)

Andreah

Dec 30, 2014
ButterflyChemist said:
Congrats Andreah! Lord knows its about time. Twelve weeks gone and not even a medical request here. Maybe next week is my week. I've been telling myself that but its been kinda getting old. Lol. All the best. Let me know how long it the stamping actually takes. :)
Hi every one this is just an update on my application: After getting my passport request everything actually went really fast

Thursday 21st May 2015
Passport request

Friday 22nd May 2015
Dropped of passport at VAC

Wednesday 27th May 2015
Checked Application Tracker for VAC (status- completed application package returned to the VAC - Ready for applicant's pickup)
I also got a call from VAC representative on 27/05/2015 confirming that my application package is ready for collection
2 emails from CIC about 10 minutes later
(1- saying status updated-when I checked it *application status -closed plus message that this application has been approved)
(2- POE letter of introduction to Canada)

Friday 29th May 2015
Collected my passport from VAC with Canadian visa sticker inside
Flight booked for Friday 3rd July 2015 *2 days after my birthday gotta spend that at home ;) ;)

I feel so blessed and I am so excited to be starting a new adventure in Canada
:D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good luck everyone else- please don't forget to post your updates so we can all share in each others news