+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work permit for common law

bakaharshita

Jan 8, 2023
Good day, I am on an PGWP (an open work permit) and starting Jan 30, 2023, it looks like my common law partner will be eligible for an open work permit (based on his relationship to me). We are currently living together and he is an international student on a Study Permit. I was wondering when he applies for the work permit, if he would need to show proof of funds? If yes, how much? Would it help if he found a job by then, would he still need to show proof of funds? Thanks so much in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good day, I am on an PGWP (an open work permit) and starting Jan 30, 2023, it looks like my common law partner will be eligible for an open work permit (based on his relationship to me). We are currently living together and he is an international student on a Study Permit. I was wondering when he applies for the work permit, if he would need to show proof of funds? If yes, how much? Would it help if he found a job by then, would he still need to show proof of funds? Thanks so much in advance
- He doesn't need to have a job.
- It would be good to show some amount in proof of funds. I'm not sure it matters how much.
- It will be important to provide evidence that you are common law and have lived together continuously for at least one full year. A joint lease and joint bank accounts are good evidence. If you've been living together for a few years, then provide your tax returns as well where you declared yourselves as common law. I assume you also declared your partner in your PGWP application.

bakaharshita

Jan 8, 2023
- He doesn't need to have a job.
- It would be good to show some amount in proof of funds. I'm not sure it matters how much.
- It will be important to provide evidence that you are common law and have lived together continuously for at least one full year. A joint lease and joint bank accounts are good evidence. If you've been living together for a few years, then provide your tax returns as well where you declared yourselves as common law. I assume you also declared your partner in your PGWP application.
Thank you! We'd be considered common-law starting January 2023, we moved in together in December 2020. Is there anyway I can find out how much money we would need to show for proof of funds? Can I do it under my name or does it have to be him as it is his application? We don't have a lot of money so we would need to start working on it sooner rather than later

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you! We'd be considered common-law starting January 2023, we moved in together in December 2020. Is there anyway I can find out how much money we would need to show for proof of funds? Can I do it under my name or does it have to be him as it is his application? We don't have a lot of money so we would need to start working on it sooner rather than later
If you moved in together December 2020, then you would have been common law as of December 2021. Are you saying that you moved in Together December 2021? If so, then you would be common law as of December 2022. Regardless, you will need to show evidence of 1 year of continuous cohabitation such as a joint lease, joint utilities, joint bank accounts, etc.

I can't comment on the amount of the proof of funds. Yes, it can be under your name.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If you have been living together since December 2020, you have been common law since December 2021 if that is when you moved in together. Was he declared on your PGWP application because he should have been. Have you been filing taxes as common law?

bakaharshita

Jan 8, 2023
If you have been living together since December 2020, you have been common law since December 2021 if that is when you moved in together. Was he declared on your PGWP application because he should have been. Have you been filing taxes as common law?
That was an error on my part. It's supposed to say December 2021, so we'd be common law in December 2022. Putting that aside, are you able to help me with the proof of funds info I talked about in the original post? Thnx in advance

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
That was an error on my part. It's supposed to say December 2021, so we'd be common law in December 2022. Putting that aside, are you able to help me with the proof of funds info I talked about in the original post? Thnx in advance
You show what funds you have in your bank accounts. There is no POF amount.