+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdrawal of Refugee Claim

TheresaH

Jun 3, 2023
I had my refugee hearing postponed for administrative reasons , before I was able to be given another date my mother passed away . I need to leave asap!! I have submitted my withdrawal form to my lawyer and I assumed it was submitted . I followed up and haven’t gotten a response . I know it is still early it’s only been 2 days and after research I’ve seen that there is a 15 day periods before the removal order is enforced but I would like to purchase tickets Now and leave but I want to know how and when will I be able to receive my passports. I know the confirmation was advised to come by mail but waiting is killing me at this point . Can anyone give clear advice As to what happens after withdrawal and out passports being returned.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I had my refugee hearing postponed for administrative reasons , before I was able to be given another date my mother passed away . I need to leave asap!! I have submitted my withdrawal form to my lawyer and I assumed it was submitted . I followed up and haven’t gotten a response . I know it is still early it’s only been 2 days and after research I’ve seen that there is a 15 day periods before the removal order is enforced but I would like to purchase tickets Now and leave but I want to know how and when will I be able to receive my passports. I know the confirmation was advised to come by mail but waiting is killing me at this point . Can anyone give clear advice As to what happens after withdrawal and out passports being returned.
The passport will be returned to you at the airport when you are leaving (not earlier). I'm not sure what you can expect in terms of the rest of the process. Hopefully others will comment.

I'm very sorry to hear about your mother.

TheresaH

Jun 3, 2023
Thank you so much for your response, not sure if you know but seen as I have already withdrew can I just go and purchase tickets and I will receive it when leaving ? I don’t want to get to the point of a removal order . I can leave asap.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much for your response, not sure if you know but seen as I have already withdrew can I just go and purchase tickets and I will receive it when leaving ? I don’t want to get to the point of a removal order . I can leave asap.
I don't know how soon you can purchase the tickets.

However there is no way to avoid the remove order. The removal order becomes active as soon as you withdraw your refugee claim. The removal order will not be enforced if you make your own plans and leave. However you'll still have a removal order.

TheresaH

Jun 3, 2023
I wanted to get the tickets now to leave Monday . I sent my lawyer my withdrawal documents on Thursday after he requested my signatures but never responded on next steps. I had our passports ceased at the immigration office as I didn’t claim at the airport. I want to make arrangements for mondays flight but don’t want to show up and they turn me around stating my passports aren’t in their possession

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I wanted to get the tickets now to leave Monday . I sent my lawyer my withdrawal documents on Thursday after he requested my signatures but never responded on next steps. I had our passports ceased at the immigration office as I didn’t claim at the airport. I want to make arrangements for mondays flight but don’t want to show up and they turn me around stating my passports aren’t in their possession
You need to contact CBSA to arrange return of your passport. If you buy a ticket and go to the airport without arranging return of your passport your won’t be able to fly.

Reactions: Koy

TheresaH

Jun 3, 2023
You need to contact CBSA to arrange return of your passport. If you buy a ticket and go to the airport without arranging return of your passport your won’t be able to fly.
Thank you so much for your response . Do you have any idea how long does the withdrawal confirmation take to come in the mail ?

ma777

May 15, 2023
TheresaH,

I have the same situation, I heard that it takes up to 7 days to confirm your withdrawal request. You can inbox me to discuss further and exchange experiences as we both face the same situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for your response . Do you have any idea how long does the withdrawal confirmation take to come in the mail ?
I wonder if there is a way to leave and have your passport returned because this is a time sensitive situation. If you have proof that you have submitted withdrawal I wonder if that would be sufficient for CBSA to return your passport. Something you may be able to call and ask about.

TheresaH

Jun 3, 2023
I wonder if there is a way to leave and have your passport returned because this is a time sensitive situation. If you have proof that you have submitted withdrawal I wonder if that would be sufficient for CBSA to return your passport. Something you may be able to call and ask about.
I called IRCC at 8:30 and they told me my case is still open they can’t see anything regarding my withdrawal which instantly got me in panic mode then I called CBSA removal section they advised me that once I received that confirmation letter I can come and leave at once and would have the passports waiting, they were very helpful but the sad part about everything is that My lawyer messaged shortly after asking me for one of my kids withdrawal letter because it was not able to print when I sent it in . That means my withdrawal was not submitted June 1st when I signed and sent it but they advised me that they will send an urgent request to for me due to me needing to clear my mothers body asap! My fingers are crossed and praying for a quick response.

Reactions: Ebuzroyal

skyline9888

Jul 5, 2023
How long did it take you to get the confirmation letter from the time you submitted the cancellation application form?

TheresaH

Jun 3, 2023
How long did it take you to get the confirmation letter from the time you submitted the cancellation application form?
I was told it usually takes 1-2 weeks sometimes longer but I got mines a week later due to me being pressed about the issue as to why I needed to leave so urgently . I went to the office in person explaining to them that I needed the letter asap and would purchase my tickets willing as soon as possible!

skyline9888

Jul 5, 2023
I was told it usually takes 1-2 weeks sometimes longer but I got mines a week later due to me being pressed about the issue as to why I needed to leave so urgently . I went to the office in person explaining to them that I needed the letter asap and would purchase my tickets willing as soon as possible!
In addition to filling out the application form for revoking refugees, what else should be filled out or submitted? Did you send it by mail or by email?

TheresaH

Jun 3, 2023
In addition to filling out the application form for revoking refugees, what else should be filled out or submitted? Did you send it by mail or by email?
Depending on which part of Canada you are I would advise you to go to the nearest IRCC office with a physical confirmation of withdrawal for you and if any other persons on the claim because I thought my withdrawal was already received after my lawyer/consul submitted it but they didn’t get it. So I went in and submitted it by hand and asked if I could please be assisted as soon as possible . If you leaving is an urgent matter I would take those steps. After they gave me the confirmation they gave me a number as well to call wi the an address for the CBSA office . When you get there you’ll fill out another form stating your name address and if receiving any government assistance and if you own any vehicles along with your phone plan company! Keep in mind I’m not sure if it’s the same process for all of the CBSA locations but this is in Ontario.