+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdrawal of Refugee Claim

skyline9888

Jul 5, 2023
Depending on which part of Canada you are I would advise you to go to the nearest IRCC office with a physical confirmation of withdrawal for you and if any other persons on the claim because I thought my withdrawal was already received after my lawyer/consul submitted it but they didn’t get it. So I went in and submitted it by hand and asked if I could please be assisted as soon as possible . If you leaving is an urgent matter I would take those steps. After they gave me the confirmation they gave me a number as well to call wi the an address for the CBSA office . When you get there you’ll fill out another form stating your name address and if receiving any government assistance and if you own any vehicles along with your phone plan company! Keep in mind I’m not sure if it’s the same process for all of the CBSA locations but this is in Ontario.
I mean, just fill out the "application form for cancellation of refugees" and mail it to IRCC, can it be cancelled? How long will it take to receive the confirmation letter?

TheresaH

Jun 3, 2023
Depending on which part of Canada you are I would advise you to go to the nearest IRCC office with a physical confirmation of withdrawal for you and if any other persons on the claim because I thought my withdrawal was already received after my lawyer/consul submitted it but they didn’t get it. So I went in and submitted it by hand and asked if I could please be assisted as soon as possible . If you leaving is an urgent matter I would take those steps. After they gave me the confirmation they gave me a number as well to call wi the an address for the CBSA office . When you get there you’ll fill out another form stating your name address and if receiving any government assistance and if you own any vehicles along with your phone plan company! Keep in mind I’m not sure if it’s the same process for all of the CBSA locations but this is in Ontario.
Sorry I am not a lawyer or anything so I am not sure what your talking about in reference to a cancellation of refugee I’ve never heard of it I know of a withdrawal of a refugee claim .

skyline9888

Jul 5, 2023
Sorry I am not a lawyer or anything so I am not sure what your talking about in reference to a cancellation of refugee I’ve never heard of it I know of a withdrawal of a refugee claim .
You said it“withdrawal of a refugee claim”

TheresaH

Jun 3, 2023
Yes so you fill it out and have your lawyer mail it to them or you can do it yourself and deliver it by hand to your ircc office. Then you wait for the conformation letter that letter should take 1-2 weeks sometimes longer mines didn’t because of my situation. Once that’s given to you there is only one more form and that is the one confirming your departure with the CBSA . I would try to keep pushing the issue once I give in the confirmation of withdrawal because once passed 15 days of turning that in you can face a removal order if you haven’t left the country . Then after the removal order is enforced after 30days it becomes a deportation order and that is something that can cost you not to travel back to Canada without issues and it can be in your travel history so I advise you to keep calling to check on the status of your withdrawal

splee77

Jul 18, 2017
Please let me know if you are through with the withdrawal. I need some info like how to proceed with the withdrawal, Our consultant informed that it is easier visit CBSA than going through the lawyer .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Please let me know if you are through with the withdrawal. I need some info like how to proceed with the withdrawal, Our consultant informed that it is easier visit CBSA than going through the lawyer .
I would agree but CBSA is for arranging your passport and departure. You have to submit your withdrawal at IRCC.

splee77

Jul 18, 2017
I would agree but CBSA is for arranging your passport and departure. You have to submit your withdrawal at IRCC.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know what are the documents to be filled /submitted at IRCC? Do we have to make an appointment? The current situation is hearing date has not been given. Work permit received in March 2023 Appreciate your help

TheresaH

Jun 3, 2023
Yes I am through with the process. I have been back in my home country since July . I sent and email with the withdrawal to my lawyer but it was taking to long yo get a response so I went in myself and toke the same form to the office and explained that I needed to leave asap. I also called continuously

TheresaH

Jun 3, 2023
Thanks for the reply. Do you know what are the documents to be filled /submitted at IRCC? Do we have to make an appointment? The current situation is hearing date has not been given. Work permit received in March 2023 Appreciate your help
I had my work permit already and my hearing date was set but you only need to print out a refugee withdrawal form that can be found on google . Fill it out and take it to IRCC yourself once they give you the withdrawal confirmation letter you take that to CbsA they open as early as 7 and they will process your withdrawal and tell you next steps. I was lucky enough to get my passport before departure due to my passport being to another office in Canada but that’s not the case with everyone they usually give you it when your already boarded on the plane but I did have to show proof of tickets already bought. I don’t advise you to buy tickets before being told to . But if you tell them you have money to purchase your self that makes the process move faster. Please do not get a confirmation of withdrawal letter and not plan to leave right away that can ruin your travel history . If you stay over 15 days after getting the letter you’ll receive a removal order. If you stay 30 days over you’ll receive a deportation order.

Reactions: bugi1 and canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would follow the advice of someone who has already been through the process. I would also contact CBSA to find out where your passport is being held. As already mentioned you usually get your passport as you are boarding your flight.

splee77

Jul 18, 2017
I had my work permit already and my hearing date was set but you only need to print out a refugee withdrawal form that can be found on google . Fill it out and take it to IRCC yourself once they give you the withdrawal confirmation letter you take that to CbsA they open as early as 7 and they will process your withdrawal and tell you next steps. I was lucky enough to get my passport before departure due to my passport being to another office in Canada but that’s not the case with everyone they usually give you it when your already boarded on the plane but I did have to show proof of tickets already bought. I don’t advise you to buy tickets before being told to . But if you tell them you have money to purchase your self that makes the process move faster. Please do not get a confirmation of withdrawal letter and not plan to leave right away that can ruin your travel history . If you stay over 15 days after getting the letter you’ll receive a removal order. If you stay 30 days over you’ll receive a deportation order.
Sincerely appreciate your reply and explanation .
Upon submission of the withdrawal letter, do we get the withdrawal confirmation from IRCC straight away?
15days will count from the confirmation letter received from IRCC?
Can I book the ticket before going to CBSA office? w
sorry to bother you with too many questions, but I want to have a hassle-free departure and do not want to go through a deportation order or any sort of travel ban to visit in the future

splee77

Jul 18, 2017
Would follow the advice of someone who has already been through the process. I would also contact CBSA to find out where your passport is being held. As already mentioned you usually get your passport as you are boarding your flight.
Appreciate your feedback. Lawyers or consultants do not give the step-by-step procedure.

TheresaH

Jun 3, 2023
Well I have been through the process with my family and like I said I’ve been back since June to each its own. A lot of persons are actually only here to find out what’s happening with you and will make you feel bad about your decision I am only here to share my experience to help because I desperately needed it and understand .
Sincerely appreciate your reply and explanation .
Upon submission of the withdrawal letter, do we get the withdrawal confirmation from IRCC straight away?
15days will count from the confirmation letter received from IRCC?
Can I book the ticket before going to CBSA office? w
sorry to bother you with too many questions, but I want to have a hassle-free departure and do not want to go through a deportation order or any sort of travel ban to visit in the future
I got mines right away because I honestly broke down because of the passing of my mother I literally begged and pleaded for them to give me it right away I couldn’t see myself missing her funeral. But if you explain the need to you might be lucky. I prayed over and over and they brought it down to me the same day. I know someone who went into the office on Thursday and got the letter that Monday. They didn’t call them for the letter but because they wanted to leave asap they went back to the office again I guess to apply more pressure to the situation. But you should not buy your ticket until you get the letter and the CBSA officer tells you to. But like I said if you let the officer know you have your ticket money the process may move faster.

splee77

Jul 18, 2017
Well I have been through the process with my family and like I said I’ve been back since June to each its own. A lot of persons are actually only here to find out what’s happening with you and will make you feel bad about your decision I am only here to share my experience to help because I desperately needed it and understand .

I got mines right away because I honestly broke down because of the passing of my mother I literally begged and pleaded for them to give me it right away I couldn’t see myself missing her funeral. But if you explain the need to you might be lucky. I prayed over and over and they brought it down to me the same day. I know someone who went into the office on Thursday and got the letter that Monday. They didn’t call them for the letter but because they wanted to leave asap they went back to the office again I guess to apply more pressure to the situation. But you should not buy your ticket until you get the letter and the CBSA officer tells you to. But like I said if you let the officer know you have your ticket money the process may move faster.
great that almighty helped you to be there to attend the final rituals of your mother. May her soul rest in eternal peace.
I will go to IRCC first to submit the withdrawal form and follow the instructions. I don't want to risk facing a travel ban or removal order, so I am willing to do whatever it takes.
If you have any tips to share -
Could do please share the contact numbers of IRCC or CBSA? I have been trying to reach them for the past two days but have not been able to connect with the right department or officer.

TheresaH

Jun 3, 2023
1-888-242-2100 IRCC and 1-833-995-0002 cbsa . I wouldn’t advise you to contact cbsa until you get the Confirmation of Withdrawal letter because there isn’t anything they can do until you get that from the IRCC office. Because I was calling a lot as well I just went into the office in person.