+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WHICH CITY OR NEIGHBOURHOOD WILL YOU RECOMMEND IN BC FOR A FAMILY COMING IN NEWLY

kusehin

Jun 26, 2023
I have an admission in UBC and will be coming with my family. I learnt that rent is high in BC but i want a recommendation of where a modest family can put up till we find our feet. Please your recommendations will be highly appreciated

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have an admission in UBC and will be coming with my family. I learnt that rent is high in BC but i want a recommendation of where a modest family can put up till we find our feet. Please your recommendations will be highly appreciated
Vancouver is the most expensive city. Book a Airbnb in your budget and for the number of people in your family for when you arrive to search for a place to live.

Post your rental budget and number of people in your family. Will you have a car? How long are you willing to commute to UBC.

Last edited:

kusehin

Jun 26, 2023
Vancouver is the most expensive city. Book a Airbnb in your budget and for the number of people in your family for when you arrive to search for a place to live.

Post your rental budget and number of people in your family. Will you have a car? How long are you willing to commute to UBC.
I am coming with my family of 4. Spouse and Two kids.

Hopefully I can get a car in a short while. Looking at where rent will be cheap and not expensive. I can commute to UBC as long as I can have a comfortable place to rent and settle my family in.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am coming with my family of 4. Spouse and Two kids.

Hopefully I can get a car in a short while. Looking at where rent will be cheap and not expensive. I can commute to UBC as long as I can have a comfortable place to rent and settle my family in.
But what is your budget? For a 2 bedroom in Vancouver you probably are looking at over $3k per month. There is no cheap rent in Vancouver. Langley/Surrey will be cheaper but you need to look at places an hour outside of Vancouver. Still will be around $2.5 K per month. Surrey has the highest crime in the country. If kids are in school then you want to be close to schools. Do they need daycare? If so probably waiting lists.

kusehin

Jun 26, 2023
But what is your budget? For a 2 bedroom in Vancouver you probably are looking at over $3k per month. There is no cheap rent in Vancouver. Langley/Surrey will be cheaper but you need to look at places an hour outside of Vancouver. Still will be around $2.5 K per month. Surrey has the highest crime in the country. If kids are in school then you want to be close to schools. Do they need daycare? If so probably waiting lists.

Thank you for your prompt answer.

My kids are 7 and 13 and they don't need child care. I am looking at budget of not exceeding 1,200 for a modest apartment. I have heard Vancouver is expensive hence why I am looking for a place out side of Vancouver.

Also how.muxh can one get a small car as a starter.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

My kids are 7 and 13 and they don't need child care. I am looking at budget of not exceeding 1,200 for a modest apartment. I have heard Vancouver is expensive hence why I am looking for a place out side of Vancouver.

You will never find a one bedroom for 1,200 per month and you need 2 bedrooms. Because you are 4 people, you may not be allowed to live in a one bedroom due to fire codes and management rules. Factor in if utilities are not covered plus internet, cell phone et. Not all units cover utilities and none have wifi. Expect to pay around $2k (minimum). Look at Abbotsford which is an hour and a half drive from Vancouver. Plus the rental market is very competitive. Go on the rent boards. Some may not allow children.

As for cars, all depends on what you can find on the used market. You will need to factor in insurance and getting your driver's license. You need to research used cars. Assume you are paying cash if buying privately. If living far outside Vancouver, the cost in gas - $1.80 per litre. And then you will need a parking pass at UBC which is probably around $1000 for the year.

Use the link to check your rental averages - Rental Market Trends for the US & Canada - Zumper

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

1200 per month isn't possible in Vancouver or any location that is commuting distance to Vancouver. Assume it will be double that. If 1200 is really your maximum then you should reconsider your plans to come to Canada or alternatively come alone without your family. Please make sure you do your research and are realistic about what things cost here or you will have big problems once you arrive.

kusehin

Jun 26, 2023
You will never find a one bedroom for 1,200 per month and you need 2 bedrooms. Because you are 4 people, you may not be allowed to live in a one bedroom due to fire codes and management rules. Factor in if utilities are not covered plus internet, cell phone et. Not all units cover utilities and none have wifi. Expect to pay around $2k (minimum). Look at Abbotsford which is an hour and a half drive from Vancouver. Plus the rental market is very competitive. Go on the rent boards. Some may not allow children.

As for cars, all depends on what you can find on the used market. You will need to factor in insurance and getting your driver's license. You need to research used cars. Assume you are paying cash if buying privately. If living far outside Vancouver, the cost in gas - $1.80 per litre. And then you will need a parking pass at UBC which is probably around $1000 for the year.

Use the link to check your rental averages - Rental Market Trends for the US & Canada - Zumper
Thank you so much. 2,000 CAD is fine for me. Just saying my minimum and my maximum will be like 2,000 CAD. Thank you for the suggested area, are there others? I will check that neighborhood out

What will be the minimum cost of getting wifi?

Is there a site for me to check used cars?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you so much. 2,000 CAD is fine for me. Just saying my minimum and my maximum will be like 2,000 CAD. Thank you for the suggested area, are there others? I will check that neighborhood out

What will be the minimum cost of getting wifi?

Is there a site for me to check used cars?
Minimum is $2k. Internet depends where you live and the provider so estimate $60-70 per month. This doesn't include a landline phone, cell phone and data for cell phones. Look at autotrader. Insurance will probably be around $2k. So for living for 4 people estimate around $4-5k per month at a minimum.

kusehin

Jun 26, 2023
Minimum is $2k. Internet depends where you live and the provider so estimate $60-70 per month. This doesn't include a landline phone, cell phone and data for cell phones. Look at autotrader. Insurance will probably be around $2k. So for living for 4 people estimate around $4-5k per month at a minimum.
Thank you for shedding lights on this. This final estimate should Include gas and other utilities I guess???

What about medicals in BC?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for shedding lights on this. This final estimate should Include gas and other utilities I guess???

What about medicals in BC?
Estimate will change if utilities (gas, electricity, water) are not included. You have to look at monthly premiums for provincial health care for a family of 4. Maybe $75 per month per person. I don’t know.

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
Sure, here are some recommendations for affordable housing for families in Vancouver:
  • Co-op housing: Co-op housing is a great option for families looking for affordable housing in Vancouver. Co-ops are owned and operated by the residents, which means that the rent is typically lower than market rate. There are a number of co-ops in Vancouver that are specifically designed for families, such as the East-West Co-op and the Cedar Cottage Co-op.

• Social housing: Social housing is another option for affordable housing in Vancouver. Social housing is owned and operated by the government, and the rent is based on the household's income. There are a number of social housing projects in Vancouver that are specifically designed for families, such as the Grandview Gardens and the Dunbar Village.

• Rental assistance programs: There are a number of rental assistance programs available in Vancouver that can help families with the cost of rent. These programs can provide subsidies, vouchers, or other forms of assistance to help families make ends meet. Some of the rental assistance programs available in Vancouver include:
    • BC Housing: BC Housing is the government agency responsible for housing in British Columbia. They offer a number of rental assistance programs, including the Rental Assistance Program (RAP) and the Shelter Aid for Families with Children (SAFC).

• Immigrant Services Society of British Columbia (ISS of BC): ISS of BC is a non-profit organization that provides settlement services to immigrants in British Columbia. They offer a number of rental assistance programs, including the Affordable Rental Housing Program (ARHP) and the Refugee Housing Assistance Program (RHAP).
  • Apartments in less expensive areas: If you're willing to live in a less expensive area of Vancouver, you may be able to find more affordable housing. Some of the less expensive areas of Vancouver include Burnaby, New Westminster, and Surrey.
I hope this helps!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sure, here are some recommendations for affordable housing for families in Vancouver:
  • Co-op housing: Co-op housing is a great option for families looking for affordable housing in Vancouver. Co-ops are owned and operated by the residents, which means that the rent is typically lower than market rate. There are a number of co-ops in Vancouver that are specifically designed for families, such as the East-West Co-op and the Cedar Cottage Co-op.

• Social housing: Social housing is another option for affordable housing in Vancouver. Social housing is owned and operated by the government, and the rent is based on the household's income. There are a number of social housing projects in Vancouver that are specifically designed for families, such as the Grandview Gardens and the Dunbar Village.

• Rental assistance programs: There are a number of rental assistance programs available in Vancouver that can help families with the cost of rent. These programs can provide subsidies, vouchers, or other forms of assistance to help families make ends meet. Some of the rental assistance programs available in Vancouver include:
    • BC Housing: BC Housing is the government agency responsible for housing in British Columbia. They offer a number of rental assistance programs, including the Rental Assistance Program (RAP) and the Shelter Aid for Families with Children (SAFC).

• Immigrant Services Society of British Columbia (ISS of BC): ISS of BC is a non-profit organization that provides settlement services to immigrants in British Columbia. They offer a number of rental assistance programs, including the Affordable Rental Housing Program (ARHP) and the Refugee Housing Assistance Program (RHAP).
  • Apartments in less expensive areas: If you're willing to live in a less expensive area of Vancouver, you may be able to find more affordable housing. Some of the less expensive areas of Vancouver include Burnaby, New Westminster, and Surrey.
I hope this helps!
OP is a student so would not be eligible for BC Housing as the waiting lists are years. Same for settlement programs and co-ops as waiting lists would be year.. Only viable suggestion is looking at less expensive areas.

Reactions: YVR123

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
OP is a student so would not be eligible for BC Housing as the waiting lists are years. Same for settlement programs and co-ops as waiting lists would be year.. Only viable suggestion is looking at less expensive areas.
You are correct. The waiting lists for BC Housing, settlement programs, and co-ops can be very long, so they may not be a viable option for OP. However, there are still a few other things that OP can do to find affordable housing in Vancouver.
  • Look for shared accommodation: Shared accommodation is a great way to save money on rent. There are a number of websites and apps that can help you find shared accommodation in Vancouver, such as Kijiji and Craigslist.
  • Consider living in a basement suite: Basement suites are often more affordable than apartments, and they can be a great option for families. You can find basement suites for rent on websites like Kijiji and Craigslist.
  • Look for apartments in less expensive areas: As you mentioned, living in a less expensive area of Vancouver can help you save money on rent. Some of the less expensive areas of Vancouver include Burnaby, New Westminster, and Surrey.
I hope this helps!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You are correct. The waiting lists for BC Housing, settlement programs, and co-ops can be very long, so they may not be a viable option for OP. However, there are still a few other things that OP can do to find affordable housing in Vancouver.
  • Look for shared accommodation: Shared accommodation is a great way to save money on rent. There are a number of websites and apps that can help you find shared accommodation in Vancouver, such as Kijiji and Craigslist.
  • Consider living in a basement suite: Basement suites are often more affordable than apartments, and they can be a great option for families. You can find basement suites for rent on websites like Kijiji and Craigslist.
  • Look for apartments in less expensive areas: As you mentioned, living in a less expensive area of Vancouver can help you save money on rent. Some of the less expensive areas of Vancouver include Burnaby, New Westminster, and Surrey.
I hope this helps!
OP is a family of 4 so shared accommodations is not an option.