+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what will be country of issuance

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK to help u further.
My Kids were born in the UK, are British but lived with me in Germany.They got there passports from Germany. They are british, but the passports were issued by the British high commission in Dusseldorf. And I always write country of issuance: Germany.

chefumang

Star Member
Jan 14, 2009
BobbyB said:
OK to help u further.
My Kids were born in the UK, are British but lived with me in Germany.They got there passports from Germany. They are british, but the passports were issued by the British high commission in Dusseldorf. And I write always country of issuance: Germany.
Thanks a lot brother. same is my case.

indian cictizen wid indian passport but issued form kingston , jamaica.

thanks

umang

chefumang

Star Member
Jan 14, 2009
BobbyB said:
OK to help u further.
My Kids were born in the UK, are British but lived with me in Germany.They got there passports from Germany. They are british, but the passports were issued by the British high commission in Dusseldorf. And I write always country of issuance: Germany.
another thing in indian passport with name, surname and other details ,they have details of place of issue and the answer is kingston which comes in jamaica.
so in my opinion country of issue should be jamaica and thats why i write jamaica while filling up the form.

i hope we are right in that matter

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
I just looked at the biopage of my passports. I have two from different countries and both do not have a place of issuance (at least on the biopage). This means, no one except the country authority can know where it was issued, whether it was Timbuktu or Los Angeles.

I know my old passports used to have an entry for where it was issued.

You could write either India or Jamaica on the form and then if you want to write a note to them:

YOUR NAME
THE FORM NUMBER (IMM008-GENERAL)
THe name of the form

QUESTION 18
My passport was issued by India, but was issued in Kingston Jamaica by the Indian High Commission.

The confusion lies in the fact that country of issuance can mean physical issuance or the country who has the authority to issue you a passport. That is why for the former, they usually say place of issuance which implies physical locality.

V

Star Member
Jan 31, 2009
You are definitely wrong. The "country of issue" in Question 18 refers to the country that issued your passport. The only country that can issue your passport is the country whose name in the front of the passport. Passports issued at embassies and consulates abroad are still considered issued by the country that authorized the issue of the passport. In your case it is definitely India, there is no question into that.

Good luck,

V

Disclaimer: I am not an expert

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
on one of my passport, it says Authority home affairs (so that implies that it was issued inside the country). On the other passport, it says authority and the capital city's name (but it wasn't issued there. I applied for it at an embassy and then the embassy sends it to the home country and it is issued back in the embassy).

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
my two cents....i agree with V. But it might seem ambiguous that they ask for nationality and country of issuance in the same form, because usually this is the same country so why would they ask this twice.
But in fact, i do believe nationality does not have to equate to citizenship (as in US) and therefore, they could be different.

V said:
You are definitely wrong. The "country of issue" in Question 18 refers to the country that issued your passport. The only country that can issue your passport is the country whose name in the front of the passport. Passports issued at embassies and consulates abroad are still considered issued by the country that authorized the issue of the passport. In your case it is definitely India, there is no question into that.

Good luck,

V

Disclaimer: I am not an expert

helpmeimmigrate

Star Member
Feb 16, 2009
Well, for that matter I have never really looked at this thing before, I haven't had such a case perhaps,

but I consulted my superiors here and per them the country of issuance of passport should be the government to whom the passport belongs ( as i n all passports are givernment property, right?)
So in this case it would be India.
I think the logic of asking for nationality and country of Issue is that Nationality tells them what your origin is, but country of issuance tells them about your current citizenship.

Also, if they wanted to know about where the passport was issued , they would not ask as country of issuance but as "place of issuance" as the wording in the passport.
Do you know what I mean?
I hope this will clear things for all of us.

k1940b

Star Member
Dec 4, 2008
Confused? The PP is issued by INDIA. Place of issue is Kingston.No country other than the nationality of the person will issue PP. The place can be any Indian HC or Embassy where it issues. Do not confuse or send an explanatory note. It will only make the Assessment officer laugh and can impact your application. For example the place of issue even in India will be the Regional PP office which issues the PP. The PP issuance authority is always the Govt of the country of which you are national.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
making them laugh will not impact your application. Confusing them will but not making them laugh. But if you are clear, there is nothing to be confused about.

Not sure what is confusing about writing a note to say place of issuance is Kingston, Jamaica.

k1940b

Star Member
Dec 4, 2008
The question is not about issuance place. Is about issuance country.Explanatory note sent with the application on such simple issues only reflects ignorance and certainly will have negative impression and will impact assessment. The correct answer is still:
Country of issue: INDIA
Place of issue: Kingston

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
are they that fickle?

V

Star Member
Jan 31, 2009
A country can issue you a passport even though you are not a national of that country. Many governments issue passports to persons whose refugee status, or sometimes other permanent resident applications, are in process. I believe that is one of the reasons the application distinguishes between nationality and passport country of issue.

V

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, this is only my opinion.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Good point V.

k1940b

Star Member
Dec 4, 2008
I agree with V. You are absolutely right. I forgot those special situations. In most such cases, there is stamp on the passport "For travel purposes only".