+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what can I do after CAQ refusal ?

salim25

Apr 15, 2024
I got accepted to college Saint-Michel and when I got here in September they told me that the program I chose (AEC) doesn't have enough students to start the session and I had to change programs (DEP).
They insisted that they'll handle the CAQ application for me and I found out in February that they sabotaged my application by not submitting the required documents that I gave them in September. And then in February they submitted the wrong documents which led to to a CAQ refusal.

What can I do now ? can I sue them or something ?

I don't have enough money to go to an another school.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I got accepted to college Saint-Michel and when I got here in September they told me that the program I chose (AEC) doesn't have enough students to start the session and I had to change programs (DEP).
They insisted that they'll handle the CAQ application for me and I found out in February that they sabotaged my application by not submitting the required documents that I gave them in September. And then in February they submitted the wrong documents which led to to a CAQ refusal.

Sue them for what? You are responsible for submitting documents so why let them do it. Also why choose a school that was blacklisted and can no longer offer PGWPs. That is probably the reason they never submitted your CAQ because they are a private, no longer eligible for PGWPs. Why did you have money just for this school. Go to a public school.

Reactions: salim25

salim25

Apr 15, 2024
Sue them for what? You are responsible for submitting documents so why let them do it. Also why choose a school that was blacklisted and can no longer offer PGWPs. That is probably the reason they never submitted your CAQ because they are a private, no longer eligible for PGWPs. Why did you have money just for this school. Go to a public school.
I want to sue them because they intentionally didn't submit the documents, I was in contact with them weekly asking about the status of my application and they kept lying and saying they're still waiting on a response knowing they didn't submit anything.

They insisted that they handle the application, I agreed because they submitted my first CAQ and it got accepted and I didn't have access to the login informations.

The reason I chose them is because they gave me a scolarship in an event that makes my studies free.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You'll need to hire a lawyer to sue them. I would recommend getting a consultation with a good lawyer who can advise you what is possible and what isn't. Schools generally aren't responsible for CAQs. Were you dealing with the school or with an agent? Either way, time to talk to a lawyer. Good luck.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I want to sue them because they intentionally didn't submit the documents, I was in contact with them weekly asking about the status of my application and they kept lying and saying they're still waiting on a response knowing they didn't submit anything.

They insisted that they handle the application, I agreed because they submitted my first CAQ and it got accepted and I didn't have access to the login informations.

The reason I chose them is because they gave me a scolarship in an event that makes my studies free.
You apply for CAQ so not sure what your course of action is. Get a lawyer because that private school most likely will not be around long since it can no longer issue PGWPs. If studies were free (no school does that and still needs to show funds) then hard to sue for lost tuition. That is what you would be suing for…not getting your money back.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020

You say you lack funds to go to another school. Do you have funds for a lawsuit? You will probably have to pay $300/hour or more for a lawyer, who will probably ask for a retainer of at least $5,000 up front.

As @Naturgrl has suggested, this school might not be around for long and may already be judgment-proof. You might get a judgment, but no way to collect.

From what you have said, these people acted shamefully and you might have causes of action, inter alia, in breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation and others. But all of that might not count for much.

salim25

Apr 15, 2024
What else can I do then ?
I've been here for 7 months and haven't studied Anything. I'm not sure even if I get the money that I'll get accepted when I apply for a new CAQ.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
I've been here for 7 months and haven't studied Anything. I'm not sure even if I get the money that I'll get accepted when I apply for a new CAQ.
I feel sorry for your situation, but my only experience is with spousal/dependents sponsorship PR applications and, unlike some others here, I usually don't follow (hence don't learn) about various other aspects of immigration and options. I can sometimes help out with legal issues, although I am not educated in immigration law.

You may well have options of which I am unaware, and perhaps you can still find answers/get ideas, on this forum.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So you are in Canada as a visitor with maintained status? How much money have you paid this private college? Apply to a public DLI.

salim25

Apr 15, 2024
So you are in Canada as a visitor with maintained status? How much money have you paid this private college? Apply to a public DLI.
I'm here on a study permit and it's still valid till may 2025 .
I haven't paid them much except around 1k worth of fees.
Does the DLI have to be outside of quebec ?
Most DLI's are already full and not taking applications, the earliest intake I found is september 2024 or january 2025.

Singh__

Star Member
Aug 25, 2023
Sorry to hear buddy,
First of alI make sure you have legal status in canada. And suing the college is 50/50 chances that you will get money back . There will be good chances collège will file bankruptcy ( like M college in lasalle did in 2021 I know some people who lost their fees and even didn’t got visas) you are now in same situation what you suppose to be two years later because without PGWP we suppose to leave canada or have to find another alternative.according to me here are the main options :-
Study in another college
Find LMIA and get WP
Marry with PR or Citizen
Refugee ( if you have valid reason to fear)

This is just my view not any advice. Try to talk to immigration consultant/lawyer for best option.
Hope you will get solution.
Best luck

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Most DLI's are already full and not taking applications, the earliest intake I found is september 2024 or january 2025.
Study outside Quebec. Have you have studied on your study permit? If not, you need a new study permit, PAL, and fees. Study permit may be invalid too. If you only paid $1k then that is what you would sue for and it would be $5k+ in legal fees so not worth it. What have you done for so many months?

Singh__

Star Member
Aug 25, 2023
If you don’t study I think your study permit become invalid after 90 days

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you arrived in September and haven't started any studies yet, there's a decent chance IRCC has already canceled your study permit and you may be out of status in Canada already.

You need to be working with a lawyer.

Hopefully you have not been working.

Good luck.

salim25

Apr 15, 2024
Study outside Quebec. Have you have studied on your study permit? If not, you need a new study permit, PAL, and fees. Study permit may be invalid too. If you only paid $1k then that is what you would sue for and it would be $5k+ in legal fees so not worth it. What have you done for so many months?
I haven't been working I knew that wasn't allowed.

The first two months I just explored the city and after I've been doing some self studying in YouTube and coursera in the IT field to pass the time.
I don't care about that 1k what I am most annoyed about is the time I lost and the stress that came with it.