+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor applying to remote jobs - Which ones require LMIA/Work Permit?

nginmtl

Oct 11, 2022
I am currently living with my partner in Montreal as a visitor but I'm intending to live here long term. I'm applying to jobs now and have questions about which ones require me and a potential employer to go through the LMIA/CAQ/TWP process. I have heard that since I'm a U.S. citizen I can work remotely for a U.S. company since I wouldn't be competing in the Canadian labor market, but I can't find any solid information on what is and isn't allowed.

Here are some companies I'm looking at:
U.S. or European company with no Canadian presence.
U.S. company with "Canada - Remote" positions listed on website, no office that I know of but maybe some other legal entity.
U.S. company with offices in Canada, but not in Montreal
Canadian company with offices in Canada, but not in Montreal
U.S. company with offices in Montreal (hybrid-remote position)
Montreal-based company (hybrid-remote position)

What would you recommend is the easiest or safest option, assuming that any of these employers would offer me a job and be willing to do the paperwork? Can I choose whether to be a U.S. or Canadian employee? And is there any official resource on remote work as a visitor?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am currently living with my partner in Montreal as a visitor but I'm intending to live here long term. I'm applying to jobs now and have questions about which ones require me and a potential employer to go through the LMIA/CAQ/TWP process. I have heard that since I'm a U.S. citizen I can work remotely for a U.S. company since I wouldn't be competing in the Canadian labor market, but I can't find any solid information on what is and isn't allowed.

Here are some companies I'm looking at:
U.S. or European company with no Canadian presence.
U.S. company with "Canada - Remote" positions listed on website, no office that I know of but maybe some other legal entity.
U.S. company with offices in Canada, but not in Montreal
Canadian company with offices in Canada, but not in Montreal
U.S. company with offices in Montreal (hybrid-remote position)
Montreal-based company (hybrid-remote position)

What would you recommend is the easiest or safest option, assuming that any of these employers would offer me a job and be willing to do the paperwork? Can I choose whether to be a U.S. or Canadian employee? And is there any official resource on remote work as a visitor?
Easiest is US or European employer with no offices in Canada and no business/customers in Canada. Otherwise there's a good chance an LMIA is required.