+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

ifear

Jan 5, 2015
MilesAway said:
That's referring to temporary resident permits, which are not visas. So yes, that does not apply to you.
Ok. Heres where I get confused. Im from the states. And from what im reading (it says that im from an exempt country that does not have to apply for a visa before hand) so I didnt have to pay for it. When I came to canada I got approved for 6+ months which would make me eligible to apply for an open work permit. Am I able to send it with my outside of canada application for sponsorship? or will I have to send it to my local office here in alberta? separately?

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
Then you have a visitor record, which is also not a temporary resident permit.
A temporary resident permit is something that a) you have to apply for and pay for and b) only issued to people who are inadmissible to Canada for various reasons. The TRP overcomes those inadmissibilities.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
ifear said:
Ok. Heres where I get confused. Im from the states. And from what im reading (it says that im from an exempt country that does not have to apply for a visa before hand) so I didnt have to pay for it. When I came to canada I got approved for 6+ months which would make me eligible to apply for an open work permit. Am I able to send it with my outside of canada application for sponsorship? or will I have to send it to my local office here in alberta? separately?
as an outland applicant you are not eligible to apply for an owp. that is specific to the inland processing, and is certainly is NOT a reason to apply inland. if you plan to be in canada while your application processes, then you will need to apply to extend your stay as a visitor at least 30 days prior to your current visit expiring (which is 6 months from the date you entered) no matter if your passport was stamped or not.

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
Importing Your US Vehicle to Canada....con't

Been reading a few threads here about the email CBP sends you after submitting your vehicle info to them for export. Specifically, the line that says: "Vehicles for export may not be brought to Canada prior to being formally exported by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Failure to comply with the requirements set forth in 19 CFR 192.2 may result in a penalty action."

Apparently some on the forum have been hassled by this little piece of obscurity...

I've read 19 CFR 192.2 (and subpart A) and I don't see anywhere that says your vehicle has to be in the U.S. for the 72 hours preceding exportation. The closest thing to being applicable is this line from 19 CFR 192.2:

(c) When presented—(1) Exportation by vessel or aircraft. For those vehicles exported by vessel or aircraft, the required documentation and the vehicle must be presented to Customs at least 72 hours prior to export.

BUT - that doesn't apply to vehicles that leave the U.S. under their own power...for that we have to skip down a few lines:

(2) Exportation at land border crossing points. For those vehicles exported by rail, highway, or under their own
power:

(i) The required documentation must be submitted to Customs at least 72
hours prior to export; and
(ii) The vehicle must be presented to Customs at the time of exportation.

There is nothing stated (that I could find) resembling a requirement of the car to be in the US for the 72 hours prior to export.

If anybody knows where this has come from (aside from the auto-generated email from CBP that, for all we know gets sent to import and export business who fall under the "by vessel or aircraft" rule, please let me know.

My wife will be using my vehicle to come back and forth across the border. Even thought it's on my list of goods to follow, I've triple checked (that means called three times) and confirmed with CBSA that this is not a problem. But I'm not interested in taking a 72-hour vacation in upstate New York if I can avoid it.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
JayPinNC said:
Importing Your US Vehicle to Canada....con't

My wife will be using my vehicle to come back and forth across the border. Even thought it's on my list of goods to follow, I've triple checked (that means called three times) and confirmed with CBSA that this is not a problem. But I'm not interested in taking a 72-hour vacation in upstate New York if I can avoid it.
this is a requirement from the US side, NOT CBSA (which is the canadian). To know for sure what the requirements are for the land border you intend to export it through, you will want to call THAT office. CBP will tell you what THEY need. Personally, the car being in the US for 72 hours didn't come up, then again, i dropped off the papers well before the 72 hour deadline. again, this is not a canadian RIV/CBSA requirement, it's a US/CBP requirement. Technically, the requirement for export is the papers and ITN# need to be submitted to the export office 72 hours before export, i'm not sure if it actually means the car needs to be in the states that whole time. Again, calling the export office at the US border you will be exporting it through will confirm this. remember, the export and import are 2 different processes, and deal with different agencies. If you show up at the US side and say that CBSA said it's ok, they will probably say something like, "that's great. we're CBP and WE require you to deliver your papers 72 hours in advance. It doesn't matter what CBSA says."

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
this is a requirement from the US side, NOT CBSA (which is the canadian). To know for sure what the requirements are for the land border you intend to export it through, you will want to call THAT office. CBP will tell you what THEY need. Personally, the car being in the US for 72 hours didn't come up, then again, i dropped off the papers well before the 72 hour deadline. again, this is not a canadian RIV/CBSA requirement, it's a US/CBP requirement. Technically, the requirement for export is the papers and ITN# need to be submitted to the export office 72 hours before export, i'm not sure if it actually means the car needs to be in the states that whole time. Again, calling the export office at the US border you will be exporting it through will confirm this. remember, the export and import are 2 different processes, and deal with different agencies. If you show up at the US side and say that CBSA said it's ok, they will probably say something like, "that's great. we're CBP and WE require you to deliver your papers 72 hours in advance. It doesn't matter what CBSA says."
Oh I know the confusion originates from the U.S. side (CBP) and the distinct differences between export (CPB) + import (CBSA).

Sorry if my last few lines confused that.

I was just pointing out that CBSA doesn't really care if the car comes and goes while it's on a list of goods to follow. Meaning - it's likely that the vehicle will be IN Canada within the 72 hours prior to being imported into Canada and that if CBP has issue with that, then I'll have to make some arrangements for a 3-day vacation.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
JayPinNC said:
Oh I know the confusion originates from the U.S. side (CBP) and the distinct differences between export (CPB) + import (CBSA).

I was just pointing out that CBSA doesn't really care if the car comes and goes while it's on a list of goods to follow. Meaning - it's likely that the vehicle will be IN Canada within the 72 hours prior to being imported into Canada and that if CBP has issue with that, then I'll have to make some arrangements for a 3-day vacation.
right, cbsa could care less. you can drive it across as often as you need to. before going through the process, the only issue you need to be concerned about is whether your insurance company cares and/or how long of a grace period the province gives you when you are actually "living" in canada as a pr with a us vehicle (not insured, registered, plated in canada).

the entire process is actually easy. it's just a lot of steps to coordinate. for me, i had the most difficulty securing canadian insurance. otherwise, it was a lot less painful than anticipated.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
JayPinNC said:

My car was in storage for the winter at my home in Canada while my papers were processing. When the spring came, I emailed CBP 72 hours before I wanted to export my car then I drove it from Canada back to the US and then right to the area that I needed to export the car from, then right back to Canada for the 'import'. I had stopped at the border crossing Canadian side, months before hand and gotten all the paperwork done so when I came back after exporting I was able to drive directly home, and fax/email RIV the proper paperwork and continue with everything else.

I think the the only time you MIGHT encounter an issue is when you are driving the car back to the US on the day you export it. You could get one of those CBP guards with too much ego ;) He/She COULD give you a hassle because the car was not in the US prior to export, but the odds are extremely low, I think.

Good luck!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Hubby and I imported his car (which I then crashed...4 months later? oops) Feel free to PM if you need information :) Or I can attempt to find the old post about it haha

Parker

WDWgirl2011

Nov 4, 2014
Hello everyone! I have a quick question. I am a U.S. citizen and I will be visiting my husband on Saturday to fill out the paperwork for outland and mail everything in (and to be with him of course :D ) and I will be visiting until April 18th (my husband is going to drive me back to NY on April 18th and we will be in NY for about 2 weeks then head back to Canada). My question is, what should I expect at the boarder when I get to Canada on Saturday? I will be flying into Toronto Pearson on Saturday. I know I should only answer with short answers. I ask this because I got pulled for a secondary interview at Pearson airport on November 1st when I went to visit until Christmas Eve and the guy was really rude and kinda scared me a little. Any one with any advice would be great. I just want to know what to expect. Thank you :)

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
WDWgirl2011 said:
Hello everyone! I have a quick question. I am a U.S. citizen and I will be visiting my husband on Saturday to fill out the paperwork for outland and mail everything in (and to be with him of course :D ) and I will be visiting until April 18th (my husband is going to drive me back to NY on April 18th and we will be in NY for about 2 weeks then head back to Canada). My question is, what should I expect at the boarder when I get to Canada on Saturday? I will be flying into Toronto Pearson on Saturday. I know I should only answer with short answers. I ask this because I got pulled for a secondary interview at Pearson airport on November 1st when I went to visit until Christmas Eve and the guy was really rude and kinda scared me a little. Any one with any advice would be great. I just want to know what to expect. Thank you :)
bring proof of ties to the us (housing/employment) and have the papers for PR ready in case they ask. if you can pay a portion of the fees before you get there, that shows them you are serious.

WDWgirl2011

Nov 4, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
bring proof of ties to the us (housing/employment) and have the papers for PR ready in case they ask. if you can pay a portion of the fees before you get there, that shows them you are serious.
What kind of proof should I bring for housing/employment? I currently live with my parents and I have a part time job.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
WDWgirl2011 said:
What kind of proof should I bring for housing/employment? I currently live with my parents and I have a part time job.
2-3 recent paystubs, and if you can get your parents to sign a standard lease for you, that will be helpful. the point is to show them you have something to go back to. before i became pr and needed to cross, i would even take pictures of my room/apt before i left. never needed them, just thought it would help prove my "stuff" is in the us.

WDWgirl2011

Nov 4, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
2-3 recent paystubs, and if you can get your parents to sign a standard lease for you, that will be helpful. the point is to show them you have something to go back to. before i became pr and needed to cross, i would even take pictures of my room/apt before i left. never needed them, just thought it would help prove my "stuff" is in the us.
Ok great. Thank you so much for your help! :D

michminn

Aug 26, 2014
Nanaimo, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Miss to Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/09/2014
AOR Received.
05/12/2014
File Transfer...
05/12/2014
Med's Done....
18/03/2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waives/US citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 17/6/2015
LANDED..........
Soon... 25/6/2015 !!!!!!!!!!! Anticipated
Hello,

Has anyone here traveled from Canada to USA then back again, while awaiting PR status? I have a Visitor visa which expires In December 2015 and would like to visit family on holidays. I applied Outland. Just worried, don't want any grief coming back into Canada.

Thanks