+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
fiona2009 said:
Yes the US almighty dollar is looks better & better! I wonder how long the price of oil will stay down?

Q1: Do you provide us clients with a W9? If not, do you have troubles securing US clients without it? Or are they happy to pay international contractors?

Q2: Do you have a cross border accountant? Or do you do your own taxes?
Until the Saudis get a new prince, apparently.

I should clarify - I'm not quite in Canada yet. We're on the cusp...

Q1: I supply one to those who ask. Typically, if I do over a certain amount of work, they ask. I think there IS a threshold that if you pay a contractor a certain amount (I think it's now a mere $600) or over, the IRS requires it. Some clients who don't pay me a lot just like to have it for peace of mind, I guess.

Q2: Here in the U.S. I do my own taxes. However, unless TurboTax comes out with a "Used to Live in Canada, Moved to U.S., has now Moved BACK to Canada" version, I may end up hiring someone.

Google this and the first link should help: "form-1099-for-payments-to-foreign-contractors-for-services"

If you are a U.S. person, or have U.S. indicia, you should probably just fill out the W-9 if they ask you for it. Maybe even offer it up anyway. If your client withholds taxes, which they can even if the suspect you are a U.S. person, you can always claim that on your income taxes as they should be sending that withholding to the IRS.

Please (this is a general comment to everyone on the forum who reads this) do your research to determine if you are considered a U.S. person living in Canada. The criteria for being a U.S. person and owing returns (not necessarily taxes) to the IRS is not as logical, or straightforward, as one might think. I'm already getting IRS forms from CIBC in Canada stating that I have U.S. indicia on my account and that I must report my account(s) to the IRS. The onus is ENTIRELY on you - there is no "I didn't know" defense.

EvaCaryll

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
are you the one applying for pr or are you sponsoring your family to become pr? if you are the one applying through a program that's not family sponsorship, then cic will make a decision based on your residency/citizenship. if your family is applying for pr and you are sponsoring them, it will be based on their residency alone, and your residency will have no impact of where it is processed. no one can tell you for sure where your applicaiton will be processed since the decision is for cic to make.
I am the one applying for pr through family stream. I am the principal applicant with dependents - wife and 2 kids. My wife and the 2 kids are in the Philippines. CIO still has our papers and it's been almost 6 months since we had done our medical. They have in receipt of our application in May 2014. :-(.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
EvaCaryll said:
I am the one applying for pr through family stream. I am the principal applicant with dependents - wife and 2 kids. My wife and the 2 kids are in the Philippines. CIO still has our papers and it's been almost 6 months since we had done our medical. They have in receipt of our application in May 2014. :-(.
if you are the principal applicant, then who is sponsoring YOU? or are you applying through work related stream? it doesn't make sense for you to be applying through spousal pr if you are the principal applicant are not the sponsor. not all pr streams have the same processing time or is processed exactly the same way, so without clarifying through which "family" program you are applying for, we won't be able to guide you toward the right info.

EvaCaryll

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
if you are the principal applicant, then who is sponsoring YOU? or are you applying through work related stream? it doesn't make sense for you to be applying through spousal pr if you are the principal applicant are not the sponsor. not all pr streams have the same processing time or is processed exactly the same way, so without clarifying through which "family" program you are applying for, we won't be able to guide you toward the right info.
I got the family sponsorship through my sister-inlaw in Manitoba. Is Provincial Nominee different from Family Sponsorship? My apologies... am just confused... I think it's a Provincial Nominee Class through family sponsorship... am I making sense? :-(

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
EvaCaryll said:
I got the family sponsorship through my sister-inlaw in Manitoba. Is Provincial Nominee different from Family Sponsorship? My apologies... am just confused... I think it's a Provincial Nominee Class through family sponsorship... am I making sense? :-(
yes. that makes sense. you did not apply through "family" sponsorship, you applied through the "provincial nominee program". to get an accurate picture of the processing for the PNP program, you will want to go to the main page of this forum, and go to the board about the Provincial Nominee Program and direct your questions there. That is a completely different process, and people on this board are being sponsored through spousal or parent sponsorship, so you will not get much help here.

EvaCaryll

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
yes. that makes sense. you did not apply through "family" sponsorship, you applied through the "provincial nominee program". to get an accurate picture of the processing for the PNP program, you will want to go to the main page of this forum, and go to the board about the Provincial Nominee Program and direct your questions there. That is a completely different process, and people on this board are being sponsored through spousal or parent sponsorship, so you will not get much help here.
Thanks a lot...'appreciate the replies-great help :)

JayPinNC

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
More about importing your used vehicle to Canada...

So, I'm putting together my B4 + Goods to Follow and it came to the part where I have to place a value on my vehicle for export from the U.S. into Canada. During my research, I came across a CBSA memo (Memorandum D13-10-2) from April of last year and found this paragraph:

"Neutral Sources – Country of Exportation
12. For imported used vehicles which are not “sold for export to Canada,” importers may declare a value for duty
by referencing used vehicle valuation guides published in the country of export, which list retail sales values for
vehicles in average condition. These values indicate the amount any purchaser can expect to pay for the vehicle,
whether purchased for use in the country of export or for export to Canada. Examples of such publications are the
U.S. Automobile Red Book – Official Used Car Valuations and Parker’s Used, New and Trade, Car Price Guide
published in the United Kingdom. The value of any options included in the vehicle being valued which are not
included in the basic price of the vehicle as listed in the guide, must be added in order to determine the value for
duty."

Values for used cars vary by region in the U.S. My research shows that these variances can reach around 6%. It may pay to do your research and find a valuation that's a little easier on your wallet, as the USD-CAD conversion may really bump up the amount of duty/tax you could potentially be paying on a car (depending on your individual situation). My advice, if you're valuing your car, get a value based in your ZIP code...and THEN get a value using a Miami ZIP code and a NYC ZIP code. See which one you like best (read: use the lowest value). From my interpretation, this method is still within the guidelines of the above CBSA memo.

ifear

Jan 5, 2015
Just wondering if I can get anyones help really quickly. My husband and I decided to fill out the outland application form and with it i'd like to include an application for an open work permit. Im just wondering if it would be a quicker processing time to do the 2nd option and send it to the local office here in Alberta, instead of all together to missuaga.. It says to send it to that specific office if I didnt send one in with the sponsorship application. I also can't find anywhere for processing times for that specific office. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks so much!

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
ifear said:
Just wondering if I can get anyones help really quickly. My husband and I decided to fill out the outland application form and with it i'd like to include an application for an open work permit. Im just wondering if it would be a quicker processing time to do the 2nd option and send it to the local office here in Alberta, instead of all together to missuaga.. It says to send it to that specific office if I didnt send one in with the sponsorship application. I also can't find anywhere for processing times for that specific office. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks so much!
Open work permits are only available to inland applicants.

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
ifear said:
where does it say that?
Taken directly from the CIC site:
You may be eligible to apply for an open work permit if you are in one of the following situations:

You are already working in Canada and your application for permanent residence has been approved under one of the following :
Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class
Live-in Caregiver Program
Federal Skilled Worker Program
Canadian Experience Class
Provincial Nominee Program
Federal Skilled Trades Program
humanitarian and compassionate grounds
You may also be eligible if you are a family member of someone whose application for permanent residence has been approved under one of the above.

ifear

Jan 5, 2015
MilesAway said:
Taken directly from the CIC site:
You may be eligible to apply for an open work permit if you are in one of the following situations:

You are already working in Canada and your application for permanent residence has been approved under one of the following :
Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class
Live-in Caregiver Program
Federal Skilled Worker Program
Canadian Experience Class
Provincial Nominee Program
Federal Skilled Trades Program
humanitarian and compassionate grounds
You may also be eligible if you are a family member of someone whose application for permanent residence has been approved under one of the above.
can you provide a link please?

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
That's referring to temporary resident permits, which are not visas. So yes, that does not apply to you.