+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

TanyaVV

Feb 26, 2014
Good morning everyone! I have another question for you, hopefully there is an answer that I am looking for:

Is there a possibility of getting a temporary work permit to be able to legally work and apply for benefits WHILE my PR application is being processed? (considering there are no red flags, such as missing docs in my app)? I heard that from the company that act as agents/legal advisors for people who are immigrating (paid services) that is possible depending on your case worker even though its not a standard procedure, but was told that it can be done if asked? I live in US and an American citizen. Has anyone done this?

Thank you!!!

Florida Bear

Star Member
Jul 18, 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2013
AOR Received.
29-08-2013
File Transfer...
09-09-2013
Med's Done....
06-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2014
Kasbal said:
Hi, Please I need help

My husband and I are going to post our application next week. However, We still have one problem...He did not take the 4 photos passport that are required. He told me that in USA the photographers are unable to take photo with the exact specific dimension that are required. Therefore, I would like to know if there are people in this forum who took their photo passport in USA....if yes, Where did you take them? Also, if you took them in Canada, where did you take them? I am thinking about Walmart but i am not sure.

Here are the dimensions: measure between 25 mm and 30 mm (1″ and 1 1/5″) from chin to crown
have a 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8″ x 1 3/4″) finished size

PS: My husband lives in Warren, Michigan

Thank you.
I just did a google search for Immigration Photos in Tampa and found some people in the area who specifically take immigration photos... think it was $25 for 4 of them which wasn't too bad. I called Walgreens and Office Depot, both do passport photos, but when asked about photos for immigration and specific sizes, the kid gave a long pause then said "sure". I didn't wanna take any chance on a photo being done incorrectly by some kid who didn't care so I went to someone who specifically took immigration photos. Not sure how picky CIC is but didn't want to chance anything.

TanyaVV

Feb 26, 2014
TanyaVV said:
Good morning everyone! I have another question for you, hopefully there is an answer that I am looking for:

Is there a possibility of getting a temporary work permit to be able to legally work and apply for benefits WHILE my PR application is being processed? (considering there are no red flags, such as missing docs in my app)? I heard that from the company that act as agents/legal advisors for people who are immigrating (paid services) that is possible depending on your case worker even though its not a standard procedure, but was told that it can be done if asked? I live in US and an American citizen. Has anyone done this?

Thank you!!!
Fudgeeeeeee....just found an answer.....there goes THAT idea that i was banking on:

"If you have applied for permanent residence from within Canada at the point you are found to be approved in principle, the first step in the process, you could apply for an open work permit. If you are applying from outside of Canada you would not be eligible for a work permit unless you meet the usual requirements for that permit."

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TanyaVV said:
Fudgeeeeeee....just found an answer.....there goes THAT idea that i was banking on:

"If you have applied for permanent residence from within Canada at the point you are found to be approved in principle, the first step in the process, you could apply for an open work permit. If you are applying from outside of Canada you would not be eligible for a work permit unless you meet the usual requirements for that permit."
You can take solace knowing that your whole application is likely to be approved outland faster than step one approval had you chosen to apply inland. :)

There are other avenues to get a work visa. Depending on your profession, look into NAFTA or for a job offer that sponsors you for an LMO.

TanyaVV

Feb 26, 2014
OhCanadiana said:
You can take solace knowing that your whole application is likely to be approved outland faster than step one approval had you chosen to apply inland. :)

There are other avenues to get a work visa. Depending on your profession, look into NAFTA or for a job offer that sponsors you for an LMO.
I dont qualify under a skilled worker criteria (not that im unskilled, just not one of about 30+ jobs) and i have tried for past half year to find a sponsoring job with no luck.... :'(

Thaliada

Mar 9, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 14th, 2013
AOR Received.
July 6th, 2013
File Transfer...
July 15th, 2013
Med's Done....
May 9th, 2013
We got the CoPR today!!! So excited! :) Thank you all for your support and information it has been a tremendous help. I wish the best to everyone and may you all get it soon!

Thaliada

Thaliada

Mar 9, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 14th, 2013
AOR Received.
July 6th, 2013
File Transfer...
July 15th, 2013
Med's Done....
May 9th, 2013
OhCanadiana said:
Congrats, Thaliada! Enjoy landing.
Thank you very much! :) We still have to figure out how he's gonna "land" since he's already here :p

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thaliada said:
Thank you very much! :) We still have to figure out how he's gonna "land" since he's already here :p
The fastest way is to take a quick trip to the US (if you're up for the drive). Land on your return to Canada (don't forget to turn in the B4/B4A including items he'll import later since he's already 'living' in Canada). Alternatively, you can set up an appointment at an inland CIC office to land there (call the CIC call centre to make the appointment).

chala

Mar 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa - LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2013
AOR Received.
15-04-2013
File Transfer...
25-04-2013
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-01-2013 ext till 2015
Interview........
Aug 5-2014 passed
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2014
LANDED..........
Dec 8, 2014
Thaliada said:
We got the CoPR today!!! So excited! :) Thank you all for your support and information it has been a tremendous help. I wish the best to everyone and may you all get it soon!

Thaliada
CONGRATULATIONS! ! Just wondering when you received PPR. Your processing time seemed to be fairly quick. Happy Landing!

Mushmash

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2012
Interview........
10-12-2013
Passport Req..
25-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2014
Congratulations to everyone who received COPR. I'm received my PPR on jan 31st2014 and FedEx said my passport arrived on feb4th 2014 at the LA office. Anyone else recieved COPR from LA recently? How long did it take for COPR to arrive in the mail from PPR?

Florida Bear

Star Member
Jul 18, 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2013
AOR Received.
29-08-2013
File Transfer...
09-09-2013
Med's Done....
06-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2014
Thaliada said:

Thaliada
Congrats!!!!! That is fantastic!!! :D

PhBee

Aug 26, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
AOR Received.
22-08-2013
File Transfer...
03-09-2013
Med's Done....
10-05-2013
Passport Req..
24-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2014
Hello, folks!

Question for those of you who landed a month or two before moving.

I checked our ECAS today and it said DM! :eek: Just got PPR on the 24th! Notes said started processing the 26th, so, hopefully that means COPR is on its way? Anyway! To the question - if DH receives his COPR before the end of the month (when he plans to come up here for a visit) he is planning on landing. However, he won't be moving to Canada and/or importing his car until June or so when his lease is up. So!

- Does he have to fill out the B4/B4A form and submit a copy at landing (which 'goods to follow' checked)? Or, can he land and then bring the forms with his goods when he plans to move up?
- Does he have to import his car at the same time as submitting the B4/A forms when he lands, or, does he do this when he's ready to move to Canada?

Thanks for your help! :)

Mushmash

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2012
Interview........
10-12-2013
Passport Req..
25-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2014
PhBee said:
Hello, folks!

Question for those of you who landed a month or two before moving.

I checked our ECAS today and it said DM! :eek: Just got PPR on the 24th! Notes said started processing the 26th, so, hopefully that means COPR is on its way? Anyway! To the question - if DH receives his COPR before the end of the month (when he plans to come up here for a visit) he is planning on landing. However, he won't be moving to Canada and/or importing his car until June or so when his lease is up. So!

- Does he have to fill out the B4/B4A form and submit a copy at landing (which 'goods to follow' checked)? Or, can he land and then bring the forms with his goods when he plans to move up?
- Does he have to import his car at the same time as submitting the B4/A forms when he lands, or, does he do this when he's ready to move to Canada?

Thanks for your help! :)
Sorry I know this isn't helpful but which USA office is processing your application? Thanks

jasminezxm

Feb 9, 2012
My husband got PPR. He is on visitor visa in Canda now.
Does anyone know if he can use a prepaid envelope (self address to my Canadian adddress) to get his passport back? If so, does he need to update CIC the new address which is the sponsor (myself)'s address.

Thanks!!