+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
epilobium said:
Duckduckgo sounds good, I'll get quacking on checking it out.

More boring questions:

1. IMM 5491 document checklist sponsor: for #18
I'm self-employed so they are asking for a "statement of business activities". Does that mean I have to fill out a form like a Canada Revenue Agency T2125 Statement of Business or Professional Activities specifically for the past 12 months - ie Aug 1, 2011 to July 31, 2012 (which does NOT correspond to my fiscal year which is the calendar year)? Including all of my expenses and capital costs etc.?

2. IMM 5491 document checklist sponsor: for #19 "If you must meet minimum necessary income requirement [...]"
I assume this does not apply to me as a spousal sponsor? - my applicant husband does not have dependents
LOL!

While you are exempt from LICO since you are just sponsoring your spouse without dependents, they want information on your income is to make sure you have a solid plan in place to support yourselves without relying on welfare. Keep this in mind as you answer both questions. So, put together a section including information on your self-employment (can be records you already have for tax purposes for calendar year last year and then documentation YTD), savings, plan for your husband to get a job (I just went looking for your prior posts and saw he's an engineer visiting you in Canada). Also, emphasize you already own your own home and share the fact that he's visiting you and looking for opportunities via a NAFTA work permit. I would write a short note describing the situation and referring them to the various evidence you'll pull together so they gain the comfort they are looking for that your financial situation is solid enough.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
epilobium said:
3. IMM 5540 Sponsor Questionnaire
when it refers to children living with me, do I need to include documentation of custody arrangements with my ex-husband (my applicant husband does not have children) and details that he pays child support and has joint custody?

4. IMM 5490 sponsored spouse questionnaire
when it refers to whether we have lived together (#27, #28), can we admit that we are living together even though my applicant husband is only here on a visitor visa? or should we refer to it as "visiting"?

3. I would indicate they do live with you and also add an explanation to address the questions on visitation and financial arrangements.

4. I would admit to living together and in any essays refer to it as visiting you as it sounds like he moved in with you while living in Canada on a temporary resident visa. There's nothing wrong with that (there's people who establish common-law relationships like that) - he just needs to abide by the terms of his visa while he's there (not work, not study, etc).

epilobium

Star Member
Jun 7, 2012
greater Vancouver area
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
19-09-2012 (stage 1)
File Transfer...
24-09-2012
Med's Done....
03-08-2012
Passport Req..
19-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
07-03-2013
Thanks very much OhCanadiana! I really appreciate your help :)

epilobium

Star Member
Jun 7, 2012
greater Vancouver area
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
19-09-2012 (stage 1)
File Transfer...
24-09-2012
Med's Done....
03-08-2012
Passport Req..
19-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
07-03-2013
OhCanadiana said:
4. I would admit to living together and in any essays refer to it as visiting you as it sounds like he moved in with you while living in Canada on a temporary resident visa. There's nothing wrong with that (there's people who establish common-law relationships like that) - he just needs to abide by the terms of his visa while he's there (not work, not study, etc).
He is only here on a visitor visa (undocumented at border) which I assume expires Oct 18, 2012 (after 6 months) and which we hope to renew online. Does your advice still apply - admit that he has been living with me (since Apr 18, 2012) while visiting?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
epilobium said:
He is only here on a visitor visa (undocumented at border) which I assume expires Oct 18, 2012 (after 6 months) and which we hope to renew online. Does your advice still apply - admit that he has been living with me (since Apr 18, 2012) while visiting?
My assumption was that he entered Canada legally and has temporary resident visa.

I'm not sure what you mean by "He is only here on a visitor visa (undocumented at border)." If you mean they didn't stamp it in his passport, they often don't stamp the passport, especially if you cross by car. However, it can be documented in their system since they swipe your passport when they examine you for entry.

epilobium

Star Member
Jun 7, 2012
greater Vancouver area
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
19-09-2012 (stage 1)
File Transfer...
24-09-2012
Med's Done....
03-08-2012
Passport Req..
19-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
07-03-2013
OhCanadiana said:
My assumption was that he entered Canada legally and has temporary resident visa.

I'm not sure what you mean by "He is only here on a visitor visa (undocumented at border)." If you mean they didn't stamp it in his passport, they often don't stamp the passport, especially if you cross by car. However, it can be documented in their system since they swipe your passport when they examine you for entry.
I thought he had "Visitor Status" since the U.S. is visa-exempt. Yes, he did enter legally by car (accompanied by me). He was questioned at the border and they were clearly skeptical about his intentions to stay in Canada temporarily, but they let him through. He told them that he was planning to stay with me for a few months (we were not yet married at the time and we did not share our plan to marry). There was no stamp or mention of any kind of visa or status or time duration, but I assume they have something in their computer system. Either way, I will follow your advice about how to discuss it in the application. Thanks so very much.

JimM

Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
Mississauga signed for our application July 27th, hoping for a quick approval :)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
epilobium said:
Yes, he did enter legally by car (accompanied by me). He was questioned at the border and they were clearly skeptical about his intentions to stay in Canada temporarily, but they let him through. He told them that he was planning to stay with me for a few months (we were not yet married at the time and we did not share our plan to marry). There was no stamp or mention of any kind of visa or status or time duration, but I assume they have something in their computer system.
Then he should have temporary resident status, even if there isn't a stamp in his passport. They often don't at the land border and sometimes even require folks to go inside if they request/need a stamp. So, you'll just need to explain the land entry if needed.

Given that you don't have an official record of entry (e.g., stamp, visitor record) keep whatever any other records you have of being near the border that day (receipts, phone records with roaming) so that you have them for your records for future applications (e.g., for naturalization days in Canada before you get your PR count as half days).

epilobium

Star Member
Jun 7, 2012
greater Vancouver area
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
19-09-2012 (stage 1)
File Transfer...
24-09-2012
Med's Done....
03-08-2012
Passport Req..
19-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
07-03-2013
OhCanadiana said:
Then he should have temporary resident status, even if there isn't a stamp in his passport. They often don't at the land border and sometimes even require folks to go inside if they request/need a stamp. So, you'll just need to explain the land entry if needed.

Given that you don't have an official record of entry (e.g., stamp, visitor record) keep whatever any other records you have of being near the border that day (receipts, phone records with roaming) so that you have them for your records for future applications (e.g., for naturalization days in Canada before you get your PR count as half days).
Gosh, thanks for this explanation :) . I wish we had official documentation but I like your idea of keeping our own documentation.

Good luck JimM ;D

Amoss

Feb 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2012
AOR Received.
10-03-2012
File Transfer...
to Buffalo 20-03-2012 -- to LA 08-05-02012
Med's Done....
20-12-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-08-2012
O-M-G :eek: :eek: :eek: haha

Finally our ecas says in process!!! (As of August 2nd) :D :D

wow! Feels good! Hope this means we're in the last stretch...

JimM

Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
Amoss said:
O-M-G :eek: :eek: :eek: haha

Finally our ecas says in process!!! (As of August 2nd) :D :D

wow! Feels good! Hope this means we're in the last stretch...
Congrats!

epilobium

Star Member
Jun 7, 2012
greater Vancouver area
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012