+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

time after sending passport for online application - canada visitor visa

ChakT

Apr 4, 2013
Hi I have received my Passport request today. Can you guys please suggest about the next steps and which consulate to send my Passport. I stay at New Jersey. Can I go to New York and submit the passport personally?

NirvanaRocks

May 16, 2013
ChakT

Based on the posts in the forum , seems like LA is a better option..and I think you can send to any consulate - NY or LA irrespective of your location...

meng5656

Apr 23, 2013
I would suggest LA office. It took only one week to stamp my visa(I received my passport yesterday). Several dudes in this forum had terrible experience with NYC office.

srip

May 13, 2013
Hi,

I applied online on May 1st to NY consulate and I haven't received the PP request yet. Any idea how long does it take..?

Once I get the PP request, can I send it to LA consulate for visa stamping or would they specifically direct in the letter they send us to
include with the PP to send it to NY consulate only .? Any one has a draft message from that letter .?

meng5656

Apr 23, 2013
srip said:
Hi,

I applied online on May 1st to NY consulate and I haven't received the PP request yet. Any idea how long does it take..?

Once I get the PP request, can I send it to LA consulate for visa stamping or would they specifically direct in the letter they send us to
include with the PP to send it to NY consulate only .? Any one has a draft message from that letter .?
srip, my letter doesn't say anything about sending to LA or NYC. I assume you can send your pp to either one. Below is the content of my letter:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear XXX
This is in reference to your application for temporary residence. A decision has been made on your application. We require your passport to finalize processing your application.

Passport requirements
• Please provide your passport or travel document, with a copy of this letter.
• There must be at least one blank page in your passport.
• Your passport must be valid for the duration of your expected length of stay in Canada.
• Please note that we cannot issue a visa beyond the expiry date on the passport.

Your passport must be received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada within 30 days from the date of this letter. Failure to do so could result in the refusal of your application. Please ensure that a copy of this letter is included with your passport.

To find out where to send your passport, visit our website: .
Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada.
Attention: The unique client identification (UCI) number in the upper left corner of this letter is your personal identification number. For your own protection, do not allow any person, other than an authorized representative, to use this number as it provides access to personal information on your file.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

srip

May 13, 2013
meng5656, Thank you for sharing the letter and the info. I would probably send it to LA once I receive the PP request.

When do you apply and how .? Can you please share your timeline and any follow-ups will expedite it .?

meng5656

Apr 23, 2013
srip said:
meng5656, Thank you for sharing the letter and the info. I would probably send it to LA once I receive the PP request.

When do you apply and how .? Can you please share your timeline and any follow-ups will expedite it .?
I applied online on April 19th; got pp request on May 7th; pp received by LA on May 8th; they sent back my pp on May 15th. My case was really quick compared with others. The avg app review time is around 25 days. I strongly suggest you send your pp to LA based on others' sharing about NY office. I think Ottowa office is reviewing online apps because my visa is issued by that office (perhaps LA and NY are also reviewing a small portion). Actually there is really nothing you can do to expedite it. I don't think emailing and faxing would do it. But you can go to LA to pick up your pp in person because I know two guys in this forum did that! So if your travel date is around the corner but you are still waiting for pp, at least you can go there and try having them stamp your visa same day.

gunkub

May 9, 2013
meng5656 said:
I applied online on April 19th; got pp request on May 7th; pp received by LA on May 8th; they sent back my pp on May 15th. My case was really quick compared with others. The avg app review time is around 25 days. I strongly suggest you send your pp to LA based on others' sharing about NY office. I think Ottowa office is reviewing online apps because my visa is issued by that office (perhaps LA and NY are also reviewing a small portion). Actually there is really nothing you can do to expedite it. I don't think emailing and faxing would do it. But you can go to LA to pick up your pp in person because I know two guys in this forum did that! So if your travel date is around the corner but you are still waiting for pp, at least you can go there and try having them stamp your visa same day.
Can I have my parents pick up the passport for me because they'll be in LA ?

doc1111

May 23, 2013
VISITOR VISA -

Application Submitted - March 30th
Received Request for Passport - April 25th
Passport Sent via ExpressMail (USPS) - April 29th
Passport Received by NY Consulate - April 30th
Tracking Link (USPS) Activated - May 22nd
Passport Received (Selected "Guaranteed next day delivery" by USPS for return) - (Hopefully) May 23rd

NirvanaRocks

May 16, 2013
strandedhelix and oz86 : Did you guys receive your visas from NY consulate yet..?
Seems like Doc1111 is lucky..:)

Doc1111: My passport was received by NY consulate on Apr 29th(1 day before you) and I am still waiting for any update...Did you contact somebody in NY consulate or you just got it on your own...Any advice?

Also, Does anyone know that the applications are processed as per passport received date or application submission date coz I submitted application on Apr 12th and Doc1111 had submitted on March 30th...

doc1111

May 23, 2013
NirvanaRocks said:
strandedhelix and oz86 : Did you guys receive your visas from NY consulate yet..?

Doc1111: My passport was received by NY consulate on Apr 29th(1 day before you) and I am still waiting for any update...Did you contact somebody in NY consulate or you just got it on your own...Any advice?

Also, Does anyone know that the applications are processed as per passport received date or application submission date coz I submitted application on Apr 12th and Doc1111 had submitted on March 30th...
I sent the consulate an email asking about the status of my passport but on their website, they clearly state that they will not reply to any "Application Status Queries" within the designated Processing Times listed for the office you send your application to. For NY, they list it as 30 days, so i'm sure it was a futile attempt. Moreoever, the USPS link was activated yesterday afternoon so i highly doubt my email was even read by anybody in the office by then.

I would assume that they consider applications on the basis of when you send in your passport/when they receive it, but i could be wrong. I would just keep checking on the tracking link and see when it gets activated.

I will not consider myself lucky till i actually have the passport in my hand!

strandedhelix

May 7, 2013
Nope, I haven't received my passport back. Wrote couple more emails to them seeking assistance in vain. But I am hopeful things will work out soon for all of us. With patience, you can even cook a stone :)

However, I really feel for others how agonizing this is, and I feel it at times, but calm myself when reading success stories of receiving back passport.

mimiko

May 8, 2013
I found 30th guys recieved their passport but our 29th are still in silence. unbelivable
NirvanaRocks said:

meng5656

Apr 23, 2013
gunkub said:
Can I have my parents pick up the passport for me because they'll be in LA ?
I'm not sure. But at least you can have them try (perhaps you have to sign an authorization form).