+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

cat_herder

Jul 21, 2012
Hello all,

I submitted my original application by in April, and have just this morning received my Confirmation of Permanent Residence letter. I'm kinda in shock about it...even though I knew it was coming eventually, it seems strange to have it sitting here in front of me!

Anyway, i'm a little confused. From reading this forum and various other documents of the net, I was under the impression that, once I had been accepted, I would need to provide my UK passport to the Canadian embassy in London. However, based on the documents I've been sent, I need to fly to Canada and present my Confirmation of Permanent Residence forms at immigration, where it'll then be checked and signed by an immigration official. As I understand it, once this has been done I will be granted entry and I can then apply for my PR card etc. Is this correct?

Also, my documentation says that I have to arrive in Canada on or before a specific date (in my case, a date March). This is a bit sooner than is realistically possible to get everything organised etc (we were thinking about making the move around late spring/summer time). Am I right in saying that I could do a short trip to Canada to get my documents signed off, and then return to the UK for a couple of months before moving properly?

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated!

R151NG5UN

Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2012
AOR Received.
09 July 2012. 2nd stage AOR: 23 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
01 November 2011 (Expired)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/12/12
LANDED..........
12/12/12
cat_herder said:
Hello all,

I submitted my original application by in April, and have just this morning received my Confirmation of Permanent Residence letter. I'm kinda in shock about it...even though I knew it was coming eventually, it seems strange to have it sitting here in front of me!

Anyway, i'm a little confused. From reading this forum and various other documents of the net, I was under the impression that, once I had been accepted, I would need to provide my UK passport to the Canadian embassy in London. However, based on the documents I've been sent, I need to fly to Canada and present my Confirmation of Permanent Residence forms at immigration, where it'll then be checked and signed by an immigration official. As I understand it, once this has been done I will be granted entry and I can then apply for my PR card etc. Is this correct?

Also, my documentation says that I have to arrive in Canada on or before a specific date (in my case, a date March). This is a bit sooner than is realistically possible to get everything organised etc (we were thinking about making the move around late spring/summer time). Am I right in saying that I could do a short trip to Canada to get my documents signed off, and then return to the UK for a couple of months before moving properly?

You do not require to submit your passport as of the beginning of this year if you are applying through a Visa exempt VO and you are a EU citizen. Your understanding on how the COPR works is perfectly correct, that is exactly how it works.

Yes your COPR will have an expiry date and you will have to activate it before that date expires. The expiry date is usually the anniversary of the medical examination or the expiration of your passport, whichever is sooner. You can indeed land in Canada, complete the PR process and return to tie up all your loose ends in the UK. You technically are not supposed to leave Canada until your PR is issued (which is usually about 8 weeks), that said since you are visa exempt, it should be a relatively straight forward process and re-entry should be a formality. When you land as a PR for the first time, explain this to the CBSA and they will point you on what exactly it is you have to do to return to the UK.

Congrats on your COPR :D

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
cat_herder said:
Hello all,

Also - to add on the previous post - you don't need to apply for a PR card. Once you get off the plane, you complete the landing procedure, and you're officially a PR of Canada. They will process your request for a PR card directly, no added step. What you would need is an address in Canada where they can send the card, so make sure you have that. It can be family, friends etc.

Then you can return to the UK the next day... depending on where you will be living, you might want to have a look at healthcare, because in some provinces you have a 3 months delay before being covered... So you might as well apply, go back to the UK and come back later on...

The PR card takes about 2 months to arrive. Because you are from a visa-exempt country, you can return without the card, and once you arrive at the border ( the second time!) you can let the visa officer that you are a PR, and it won't be a problem. If the PR card arrives in Canada before you, you can also have whoever is receiving it for you send it over to the UK. But it's not necessary.

Congrats on the process! and good luck packing etc!
Sweden

chopsticks

Star Member
Oct 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 23, 2012
Doc's Request.
November 2012
File Transfer...
July 17, 2012
Med's Done....
March 2012 (extended until Feb, 2014)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 13, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
March 21, 2013
LANDED..........
April 2013
Hi,
There is something I have been thinking about for a while now, so I decided to ask on this forum and if anyone can answer it for me it would be great.
I got married outside of Canada and after my marriage I came back (been living in Canada for several years). Since I got back I have not changed my marital status on any of my documents in Canada. I am not sure how to go about that. Is there some sort of a registration or some place I need to inform? or do I do that when my husband comes here?

Thanks in advance :)

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
waived (DM April 19, 2013)
Passport Req..
May 2, 2013 (non visa-exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
chopsticks said:
Hi,
There is something I have been thinking about for a while now, so I decided to ask on this forum and if anyone can answer it for me it would be great.
I got married outside of Canada and after my marriage I came back (been living in Canada for several years). Since I got back I have not changed my marital status on any of my documents in Canada. I am not sure how to go about that. Is there some sort of a registration or some place I need to inform? or do I do that when my husband comes here?

Thanks in advance :)
The only part of the government I informed when I got married was the CRA and I did it online through my account.

Forester2000

Star Member
Aug 13, 2011
London
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 5th 2012
AOR Received.
July 24th 2012
File Transfer...
July 24th 2012
Med's Done....
May 12th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jan. 8th 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan. 17th 2013
Sweden said:
Also - to add on the previous post - you don't need to apply for a PR card. Once you get off the plane, you complete the landing procedure, and you're officially a PR of Canada. They will process your request for a PR card directly, no added step. What you would need is an address in Canada where they can send the card, so make sure you have that. It can be family, friends etc.

Then you can return to the UK the next day... depending on where you will be living, you might want to have a look at healthcare, because in some provinces you have a 3 months delay before being covered... So you might as well apply, go back to the UK and come back later on...

The PR card takes about 2 months to arrive. Because you are from a visa-exempt country, you can return without the card, and once you arrive at the border ( the second time!) you can let the visa officer that you are a PR, and it won't be a problem. If the PR card arrives in Canada before you, you can also have whoever is receiving it for you send it over to the UK. But it's not necessary.

Congrats on the process! and good luck packing etc!
Sweden
Sweden am I right in saying that if I am non visa exempt I will have to wait in the UK until my PR card arrives? Or can I go to Canada with my PR visa in my passport and enter tht way?

bonitanita

Feb 8, 2012
St. John's
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 April 2012 rcvd 2 May 2012
Doc's Request.
04-12-2012 sent to High Commission on 21-12-2012
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
25/07/2012
Med's Done....
28 March 2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Issued: 14/01/2013 Rcvd: 24/01/2013
Forester2000 said:
Sweden am I right in saying that if I am non visa exempt I will have to wait in the UK until my PR card arrives? Or can I go to Canada with my PR visa in my passport and enter tht way?
You go with your PR visa and land and then your PR card will come to your address in Canada...

kaede1977

Star Member
Dec 28, 2011
Dublin Ireland
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2012
File Transfer...
27-07-2012
Med's Done....
13-02-2012
Hey everyone, congrats to all those people who recently recieved COPR!!! Great news and just in time for the holiday season...as for us, we are just tying up some loose ends and clearing out the apartment and will be flying into Vancouver this wed (return booked just in case), we have decided to wait out the rest of the process in Canada!!! Were hoping to hear good news soon but atleast in the mean time, we can set up apts, jobs, furniture and def hear something back before my husbands meds expire in feb!! Fingers crossed, will keep ya posted :D

scottishmaple

Oct 9, 2012
Where it always rains
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
21-06-2012
Interview........
HOPE NOT
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
kaede1977 said:
Hey everyone, congrats to all those people who recently recieved COPR!!! Great news and just in time for the holiday season...as for us, we are just tying up some loose ends and clearing out the apartment and will be flying into Vancouver this wed (return booked just in case), we have decided to wait out the rest of the process in Canada!!! Were hoping to hear good news soon but atleast in the mean time, we can set up apts, jobs, furniture and def hear something back before my husbands meds expire in feb!! Fingers crossed, will keep ya posted :D
wow, 8 months you've been waiting, I feel for you!!!! I hope it goes well with the move. Let us know how is all goes and Good Luck. I hope you hear something soon..x

sfeire

Star Member
Nov 29, 2012
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-08-2012
Med's Done....
24-04-2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Issued 25-02-2013, DM 01-03-2013, Rec in Canada 07-03-2013
LANDED..........
14-03-2013, PR card rec 01-05-2013
I think I am going to drive myself crazy over the next couple of weeks checking ecas.
Looking at the spreadsheet, it could be anytime now. We are on 173 days total processing time, it's been over 3 months since app was sent to London and I am visa exempt. I'm not worried about an incomplete package as we had a lawyer complete ours and if anything, we added more than necessary!
I hope that a lot of us get the best Christmas present ever this year! The waiting is just a killer!

bonitanita

Feb 8, 2012
St. John's
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 April 2012 rcvd 2 May 2012
Doc's Request.
04-12-2012 sent to High Commission on 21-12-2012
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
25/07/2012
Med's Done....
28 March 2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Issued: 14/01/2013 Rcvd: 24/01/2013
ECAS UPDATE:

In process!!!!! :D

R151NG5UN

Jun 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 May 2012
AOR Received.
09 July 2012. 2nd stage AOR: 23 Oct 2012
Med's Done....
01 November 2011 (Expired)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/12/12
LANDED..........
12/12/12
bonitanita said:
ECAS UPDATE:

In process!!!!! :D
Congrats to you, hopefully you will have DM made by Xmas or the new year at the latest. :D

Anybody wanting to fly out to Canada between now and the new year. Canadian Affair have done daily deals, they obviously change every day. Today's deal is flights from LGW to Calgary @ 10% discount. I booked mine on Friday so missed out on that deal lol. :p

nmford

Star Member
Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London!
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16th March 2012
File Transfer...
July 2012
Med's Done....
February 2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
LANDED..........
Landed a long time ago without residency!

mirage1964

Sep 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-03-12
AOR Received.
27-06-12 LVO "in process" 15-11-12
File Transfer...
27-06-12
Med's Done....
01-11-11
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2012
nmford said:
Still nothing :(
or here!! Mind you the more I look at it ours is a bit more complicated (2nd marriages, I sponsored my last wife 20 years ago, her meds and police report have expired and the final one - we are an interracial couple), but still it will be four weeks this Thursday. She is coming from Scotland for crying out loud!

M

nmford

Star Member
Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London!
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16th March 2012
File Transfer...
July 2012
Med's Done....
February 2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
LANDED..........
Landed a long time ago without residency!
mirage1964 said:
or here!! Mind you the more I look at it ours is a bit more complicated (2nd marriages, I sponsored my last wife 20 years ago, her meds and police report have expired and the final one - we are an interracial couple), but still it will be four weeks this Thursday. She is coming from Scotland for crying out loud!

M
Coming up on 6 months since sponsorship approval soon... blech