30-11-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-03-2011
LANDED..........
04-08-2011
The way it was explained to me is this:

If you follow the directions (which you should) and mail your passport to Fort Erie (if that applies to you) they get hand couriered from Fort Erie to Buffalo.
This process usually takes 2-4 days (I'm guessing that they don't walk do this but maybe once/twice a week). So, if you express mail it to Fort Erie, you'll see it signed for,e tc. Then, Buffalo will receive it 1- 3days later. Then they will process, issue visa, and then the reverse happens.

Buffalo, for example, told me that they mailed my passport back to me on the 22nd of the March, but the tracker for the mailer never activated until the 25th. Then, I received it on the Monday following (the 25th was a friday).

Landing was a breeze.

Take the packet that you get back in the mail, along with your goods list (if you have belongings that are still in the US). My daughter and I both had to sign our forms in front of the guy, swear our information was accurate, and then I filled out another form, and we were on our way. It took us about 2 hours, but that was mainly because they brought the drug dogs out, who went APE over someone else waiting in the lobby, and so everything at the border basically came to a screeching halt while they dealt with the 2 drug dealers they caught. Exciting, but it had everyone on edge for sure.

Also note: We did not have to take extra photos with us to land -- i know this has been asked previously, but not sure it was answered.

ritchierd

Apr 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-02-2011
AOR Received.
10-03-2011
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Med's Done....
30-11-2010
Interview........
Hopefully not
Passport Req..
Still waiting....waiting....waiting....waiting
GRRRRR!!!! Got an Ecas tracker email that showed nothing changed.....

As if my sanity is not far enough gone as it is???

chess101

Star Member
Mar 3, 2011
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-08-10
AOR Received.
07-10-10
File Transfer...
10-09-10
Med's Request
Done Before
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Sept 07
jessibee said:
AOR = Acknowledgment of Receipt
IA = Initial Assessment

The AOR is the letter you receive from Buffalo that lets you know they have started processing your application. The IA (also from Buffalo) explains whether you need an interview or have to send additional documents.

It seems as though not everyone gets one or both of these letters! I got both.
Thanks! that means I got both back in late September! Still waiting but it's good to see people getting their pprs from early august means I'm next? Maybe :p

jessibee

Star Member
Mar 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2010
AOR Received.
02-09-2010
File Transfer...
29-07-2010
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
18-04-2011
LANDED..........
19-04-2011
chess101 said:
Thanks! that means I got both back in late September! Still waiting but it's good to see people getting their pprs from early august means I'm next? Maybe :p
Tell me about it! We got AOR in August and our initial assessment at the end of March. Maybe it will be our turn soon!

kerianne

Jul 24, 2010
CANADA :)
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
November 18, 2010
AOR Received.
August 6, 2010
File Transfer...
June 1, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
March 21, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
March 30, 2011
LANDED..........
April 29, 2011
Adetia- that sounds like you had a thrilling landing experience! Thanks for letting us know about the pictures and how your landing went. Conrgats! You're finally done!

Reading your experience makes me excited to get my passport back!

Mar 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Aug-2010
Doc's Request.
None
File Transfer...
10-Sep-2010
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
03-Apr-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-Apr-2011
chess101 said:
We're still waiting, no caips either it's been a month since I ordered them :( It's tough waiting
chess101, if you are still waiting for the CAIPS notes you can call 1-800-667-6703 to ask if/when they sent them.

sparkle

Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

My AOR is still not here and I am starting to get worried :(

I am posting to discuss a problem we've been facing and was wondering if anyone would know more about it. I know how some of the people here who are Principal Applicant come to Canada and stay with their sponsors while their file is in process and show that they are visitng. My question is, now that our sponsorship is approved, and file is in buffalo, can I (sponsor) move to US and keep a Canadian address until the file gets processed. The problem is, I would be crossing border everyday to come in to work in Canada (me and my husband live very close to the border), but can I go to US in evening everyday and say that I am going to "visit" my husband ?
How badly can it affect if I dont physically stay here most of the days but still keep my apartment? Can the people at border cause some problem with my husband's file ?

TreeLover

Star Member
Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2010
Doc's Request.
none requested
AOR Received.
28-01-2010
File Transfer...
14-12-2010
Med's Done....
29-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
23-03-2011
LANDED..........
21-04-2011
sparkle said:
Hello All,

I am posting to discuss a problem we've been facing and was wondering if anyone would know more about it. I know how some of the people here who are Principal Applicant come to Canada and stay with their sponsors while their file is in process and show that they are visitng. My question is, now that our sponsorship is approved, and file is in buffalo, can I (sponsor) move to US and keep a Canadian address until the file gets processed. The problem is, I would be crossing border everyday to come in to work in Canada (me and my husband live very close to the border), but can I go to US in evening everyday and say that I am going to "visit" my husband ?
How badly can it affect if I dont physically stay here most of the days but still keep my apartment? Can the people at border cause some problem with my husband's file ?
sparkle,

If you and/or your husband are going to cross the border all the time, you should apply for Nexus cards. Do a search here on the forum as there was someone talking about this a few months ago. Both spouses had Nexus cards and so they can go straight through and didn't need to talk to anyone at the border. Here's info: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html

Jeff

Star Member
Aug 29, 2006
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-12-2010
AOR Received.
10-03-2011
File Transfer...
13-01-2011
Med's Done....
10-09-2010
Passport Req..
01-08-2011
sparkle said:
Other than the small handful of people that received IA and now PPR, Buffalo seem to either be held up or something...I really wish the process had a lot more transparency for those waiting.

TreeLover

Star Member
Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2010
Doc's Request.
none requested
AOR Received.
28-01-2010
File Transfer...
14-12-2010
Med's Done....
29-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
23-03-2011
LANDED..........
21-04-2011
For anyone who is importing a car into Canada from the USA and are currently in Canada), I thought I'd provide this info here in case others didn't know. If you are already in Canada and you want to export your car when you land, you apparently have to take the car into the USA for 72 hours after you submit the title. If they find out the car was in Canada during this period before you export it, then they can fine you or even seize your vehicle.

This really sucks as that means I have to go and sit in WA for 3 days for no other reason but to wait. If I do that, then my spouse won't be able to come with me to help me move my stuff as he can't wait in WA for 3 days as he needs to be at work. He can't take his car over the border as he didn't export it when he left. Argh. So I either do the whole thing alone, or I don't export/import my car right now.

So I'm going to try and land next thursday and NOT import my car as it's really not convenient to do this on monday and I don't want to wait any longer. There was one woman on this forum who said she did it that way. Man, what a pain!

On a brighter note, my passport is on its way to me today. It's out of delivery. :)

sparkle

Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TreeLover said:
sparkle,

If you and/or your husband are going to cross the border all the time, you should apply for Nexus cards. Do a search here on the forum as there was someone talking about this a few months ago. Both spouses had Nexus cards and so they can go straight through and didn't need to talk to anyone at the border. Here's info: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html
Hi Treelover!

I already have the NEXUS card. They do not ask me anything when I enter back to Canada, but when i visit US, they question me, as to why I am going, who I am going to meet bla bla. I have to tell them every time that I am going to just visit my husband adn will be back after the weekend. Also, since I am a PR, I have visitor visa (B2) for US. So maybe that's why....
I want to know if I can travel daily to US....until his file is in process....I work here, so I will come back every morning. But I don't want the border people to get suspicious and then cause some trouble in his file!

TreeLover

Star Member
Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2010
Doc's Request.
none requested
AOR Received.
28-01-2010
File Transfer...
14-12-2010
Med's Done....
29-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
23-03-2011
LANDED..........
21-04-2011
oh sorry, I guess I was wrong about the Nexus card. I thought it was effective both ways and you didn't need to talk to anyone on either border when you crossed. Maybe you can call the border services in the USA and ask them about it? I've talked to the Canada side before, but maybe they are easier to reach, I don't know.

Well, I just called CBSA and they told me if I'm driving my car into Canada to land as an immigrant that I must import my car. They said they don't care about the exporting part that the USA does. So it doesn't matter to them if I do that or not. But I wonder if I do it later then I might have a penalty. That is what my partner did - he didn't export his car, but now doesn't want to drive it into the USA because he might be fined or they seize the car. We want to be able to drive my car in the USA as it is our main car we use (his is really old and on it's last leg).

sparkle

Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think they would deny me entry, but might just begin to think I am living in US and not changing my address or whatever. I just hope they dont cause some problem on our file...Let's see...Anyway I am thinking not May, I will wait to see...

I still have no AOR from Buffalo... 12 weeks since my file was transfered there...and no word from them !
:(:(:(

And the week comes to an end....

moonpie

Apr 13, 2011
sparkle said:
I don't think they would deny me entry, but might just begin to think I am living in US and not changing my address or whatever. I just hope they dont cause some problem on our file...Let's see...Anyway I am thinking not May, I will wait to see...

I still have no AOR from Buffalo... 12 weeks since my file was transfered there...and no word from them !
:(:(:(

And the week comes to an end....

Sparkle... My file was sent in and transfered almost the same date as yours. I just got AOR on Monday, so maybe yours will be this next Monday??

sparkle

Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
moonpie said:
Sparkle... My file was sent in and transfered almost the same date as yours. I just got AOR on Monday, so maybe yours will be this next Monday??
I really hope so....! I will add you to our Buffalo spreadsheet. You can find the link for it down below at my signature. Please keep up posted about you progress !