waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
tulamoon said:
I asked this in the March thread, but haven't gotten a response yet so I shall ask here... Part of the PPR letter says this

"Settlement Funds

Be advised that when you enter Canada as a permanent resident, you will be asked to provide proof that you have sufficient funds available for settlement. If it is your intention to proceed directly to Canada, you should have supporting documentation with you – current bank statement, updated bank book, securities or negotiable instruments in bearer form, etc. Failure to provide this information could affect your admissibility to Canada and otherwise delay or prevent your landing. Please refer to the following website for current requirements: www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

He doesn't have any money he's a student and we live together. I support us both and I thought that by them approving me as sponsor that was all that was need for financial purposes? Does anyone know? Is that just a generic paragraph in all immigration letters?
We did not even get asked about money or anything when we landed...Congrats I will update March spreadsheet tonight

TryingToGetHome

Feb 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2011
AOR Received.
21-04-2011
File Transfer...
05-05-2011
Med's Done....
19-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Congrats, Tulamoon!!

jayde

Feb 18, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-3-2011
File Transfer...
03-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-11-2011 WOO HOO!!!
mcmasters said:
Thanks for the responses! Hm, I never heard of CAIPS or GCMS notes until I started reading these forums. I'm guessing these are notes on the work that's being done on my file?

I would ask how to get them but that is such a newb question and I'm afraid the process is long and complicated to explain.

On the idea of moving in with Pat before my application is complete: is that allowed, legally? I thought I wasn't legally allowed to live in Canada until I got my PR status, and I was afraid it would mess up or delay my application if I tried to make the move before I was accepted.

But, if that's a viable option, we'll definitely consider it! It's almost more of a financial burden for us to be living separately because my apartment is such a money drain. :(

Any advice from couples who moved in together before their application was completed is most appreciated!

-Maddy
Hey Maddy, many of the people you'll find here, have applied outland and then came to visit while the application was in process. My husband is one of them. He came here in June for an extended visit to wait while the application is in process. he is not permitted to work or go to school, and he has a visit visa that states he can only be here for six months, but he's here :)

It's called dual intent... you have the intention to stay here long term with your permanent residency, however your immediate intention is to visit while the application is in process.

It is definitely do-able if you are in a visa-exempt country.

TryingToGetHome

Feb 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2011
AOR Received.
21-04-2011
File Transfer...
05-05-2011
Med's Done....
19-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Hey Maddy - I asked for and was granted a 1-year visitor record to stay in Canada for a year while my application was processing. I crossed by car over the Montana/Alberta border and the border agents were really helpful!

I can't work or go to school, but at least we're together.

francohoosier

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Montréal
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2011
AOR Received.
13-07-2011
File Transfer...
10-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
4-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2011
LANDED..........
12-11-2011
tulamoon said:
I asked this in the March thread, but haven't gotten a response yet so I shall ask here... Part of the PPR letter says this

"Settlement Funds

Be advised that when you enter Canada as a permanent resident, you will be asked to provide proof that you have sufficient funds available for settlement. If it is your intention to proceed directly to Canada, you should have supporting documentation with you – current bank statement, updated bank book, securities or negotiable instruments in bearer form, etc. Failure to provide this information could affect your admissibility to Canada and otherwise delay or prevent your landing. Please refer to the following website for current requirements: www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

He doesn't have any money he's a student and we live together. I support us both and I thought that by them approving me as sponsor that was all that was need for financial purposes? Does anyone know? Is that just a generic paragraph in all immigration letters?
It must be a generic paragraph. If you follow the link, it specifies that those are the funds needed for SKILLED WORKER class immigrants, not family class. I wouldn't worry about it, but bringing a bank statement in general wouldn't be a bad idea.

moochops

Aug 13, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2011
Doc's Request.
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-08-2011
File Transfer...
09-08-2011
Med's Request
new request 19-12-2012
Med's Done....
24-10-2010 / 16-01-2013
Interview........
waived
My two pennth worth regarding the liklehood of being processed at Buffalo.

I am from the UK, hubby is Canadian.

We went to Las Vegas to get married, upon our return we were quizzed because my current work permit only had 3 months left on it. So we told them we had gotten married and were applying for pr for me.

The border services people at Edmonton were awesome, gave me a years vv and wished us luck.

Fast forward to time of applying - we applied outland and put (as you would being a BC) - London as the PO.

For some reason when the sponsorship side of things was approved - the email stated that the file had gone to Buffalo.

I can only summise that it was because I was admitted with a years VV coming in from the US

prophet3

Star Member
Aug 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buf
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 25
AOR Received.
June 29
File Transfer...
July 11
ddobro2 said:
Just put GCMS notes request numero deux in the mail.....sigh.
hope you get it soon, are you in process already ?

jayde

Feb 18, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-3-2011
File Transfer...
03-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-11-2011 WOO HOO!!!
So... anyone have any idea how long it takes for Buffalo (or Fort Erie) to process my husband's passport and issue the COPR? It arrived in Fort Erie last Friday and now we wait for the return courier tracking number to show that it's en route back... I'd just like to know so I can stop tracking an invalid number on canadapost's website every ten minutes LOL.

destanova

Jan 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10Feb2011
File Transfer...
24Mar2011
Med's Done....
24Jan2011
Passport Req..
04Oct2011
jayde said:
So... anyone have any idea how long it takes for Buffalo (or Fort Erie) to process my husband's passport and issue the COPR? It arrived in Fort Erie last Friday and now we wait for the return courier tracking number to show that it's en route back... I'd just like to know so I can stop tracking an invalid number on canadapost's website every ten minutes LOL.
We sent mine in and they received it on the 7th. They've had it a week and a half and the return tracking number hasn't been activated yet. I think I read somewhere 2-3 weeks for them to get it back in the mail to you? I'm not positive though.

kayan

Star Member
Nov 30, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jayde said:
My husband just got his back yesterday. Took about 3 weeks with overnight shipping both ways.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks, likewise! Nope, I'm not "in process" according to e-CAS but I'm not concerned because I'm certainly in process judging by the first set of GCMS notes (two assessments were already started). How 'bout you?
prophet3 said:
hope you get it soon, are you in process already ?

prophet3

Star Member
Aug 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buf
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 25
AOR Received.
June 29
File Transfer...
July 11
ddobro2 said:
Thanks, likewise! Nope, I'm not "in process" according to e-CAS but I'm not concerned because I'm certainly in process judging by the first set of GCMS notes (two assessments were already started). How 'bout you?
my wife just emailed them after I emailed and never got response back. and according to the email we are in process with no determined date to be completed. and that is all they said. and i have not heard anything from information request.last but not the least, e-Case does not say in process.,but i am relieved that it is in process at least.

destanova

Jan 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10Feb2011
File Transfer...
24Mar2011
Med's Done....
24Jan2011
Passport Req..
04Oct2011
kayan said:
My husband just got his back yesterday. Took about 3 weeks with overnight shipping both ways.
Thanks for the info! We should have just gone to Buffalo and got the visa done at the embassy, but we didn't think it would take so long to mail it in. I guess that's on par with everything else taking a while from CIC.

claudiakee

Star Member
Aug 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-june-2012
Doc's Request.
10-Oct-2012
AOR Received.
13-Sept-2012
File Transfer...
1-Sept-2012
Med's Done....
May-2012
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
25-Jan-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-Jan-2013
AllisonVSC said:
I think the requirement is that you have to have admitted to Canada for at least one year in order to apply through Buffalo. I think if you came for 6 months and then extended your visit you are out, but I haven't been able to confirm that with CIC website.

All I can find is this statement at the moment. "We [Buffalo] provide these services to citizens of or persons legally admitted to Bermuda, Canada, St. Pierre et Miquelon, and the United States (including Puerto Rico)" but nothing about how long you must be in Canada before you can apply through B'lo.
First of all, Thank you so much for your reply. I have been legally admitted to Canada for more than a year now so i am think I will be eligible to send through the Buffalo office?