+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Studying and working after completion of studies with study permit

RoxasSora

Oct 29, 2021
I finished school in 2018 Winter , received my PGWP refusal in 2019 ( I didn't apply within the time frame in 2018). Got into a 2 year program in a DLI institution that was considered part time, managed to find a job within that time which was part time work. Applied for LMIA and TR to PR with study permit, job and degree. Good chance of being legit or something was wrong in my history. My study permit just expired in August 2021.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I finished school in 2018 Winter , received my PGWP refusal in 2019 ( I didn't apply within the time frame in 2018). Got into a 2 year program in a DLI institution that was considered part time, managed to find a job within that time which was part time work. Applied for LMIA and TR to PR with study permit, job and degree. Good chance of being legit or something was wrong in my history. My study permit just expired in August 2021.
So what is your status now? Your employer applied for a LMIA and you applied for TR to PR too? What path for TR to PR (NOC and hours)?

RoxasSora

Oct 29, 2021
Implied Status, I applied for the TR to PR as it seemed I would be fit for it. I applied under international Grad for Tr to PR under Noc for Real estate

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
- I assume you obtained a new study permit after your PGWP was refused?
- You can only work during your studies if you are in a full time program. If you were taking a part time program, then you weren't entitled to work off campus and any work you did would have been unauthorized.
- When did you complete your most recent studies? Are you still working?

RoxasSora

Oct 29, 2021
I did not obtain a new study permit, my old one was still active till 2021. Completed my most recent studies in 2021 September. No i am not working anymore. waiting for an update from IRCC.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I did not obtain a new study permit, my old one was still active till 2021. Completed my most recent studies in 2021 September. No i am not working anymore. waiting for an update from IRCC.
When did your second program start? Your first study permit would have automatically expired 90 days after graduation even if it didn’t expire until 2021. Did you apply to chance your DLI with new LOA and got approved.

RoxasSora

Oct 29, 2021
When did your second program start? Your first study permit would have automatically expired 90 days after graduation even if it didn’t expire until 2021. Did you apply to chance your DLI with new LOA and got approved.
I didn't apply for a new DLI, I assumed it was still valid after I finished. what do I do now? can I apply for H&C if I get rejected?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I didn't apply for a new DLI, I assumed it was still valid after I finished. what do I do now? can I apply for H&C if I get rejected?
So you most likely studied and worked illegally for quite a while. You need help beyond the scope of this forum. How are you eligible for H&C?

Reactions: YVR123

RoxasSora

Oct 29, 2021
So you most likely studied and worked illegally for quite a while. You need help beyond the scope of this forum. How are you eligible for H&C?
I don't know if I am eligible for H & C, I just mentioned it because I know that is the last effort. I didn't do any intentionally. My original study permit said i can work off-campus. Any suggestions on what I can do about this. I already have applications submitted to IRCC for an open work permit, Tr to PR and LMIA

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't know if I am eligible for H & C, I just mentioned it because I know that is the last effort. I didn't do any intentionally. My original study permit said i can work off-campus. Any suggestions on what I can do about this. I already have applications submitted to IRCC for an open work permit, Tr to PR and LMIA
There are other requirements you need to meet in order to be allowed to work during your studies (not just having a work permit that states you can work off campus). One of the mandatory requirements is that you must be in school as a fully time student.

If your second program was only part time, then you definitely worked without authorization. At this point I'm not sure there's much you can do but wait for IRCC to process your application and see if they catch this and do anything about it.

RoxasSora

Oct 29, 2021
There are other requirements you need to meet in order to be allowed to work during your studies (not just having a work permit that states you can work off campus). One of the mandatory requirements is that you must be in school as a fully time student.

If your second program was only part time, then you definitely worked without authorization. At this point I'm not sure there's much you can do but wait for IRCC to process your application and see if they catch this and do anything about it.
Now that I know, do I submit a web form with a letter of explanation of everything that is going on and how I realized it was a huge big mistake? Please let me know.

Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You didn’t do anything intentionally but you can’t just start another program with the same study permit. A study permit states what program and school you can attend. Your study permit would have expired 90 days after graduation so in 2019. Your part-time work is based on your first study permit so you were not even eligible to work (didn’t have study permit). I assume you are not working now. You will have to wait and hope IRCC doesn’t figure out what you have done. All the best.

Jojimiller

Star Member
Aug 16, 2021
Now that I know, do I submit a web form with a letter of explanation of everything that is going on and how I realized it was a huge big mistake? Please let me know.

Thank you.
Webform won’t hurt but be mindful that IRCC is only replying to priority inquiries and many people said that the document from webform is not attached to their application.
Your case is not as simple as other international student unknowingly work illegally for a month. You need a good lawyer to help you figure it out.

RoxasSora

Oct 29, 2021
Webform won’t hurt but be mindful that IRCC is only replying to priority inquiries and many people said that the document from webform is not attached to their application.
Your case is not as simple as other international student unknowingly work illegally for a month. You need a good lawyer to help you figure it out.
I'll Start looking for one, you still think i wait for IRCC reply? my OWP under TR to PR got sent to etobicoke office for processing (not sure if that indicates anything)