+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit in Los Angeles

Muzsub

Sep 22, 2015
Hello hassan.

Congrats on your student permit.
I am in this situation and your answers could really help.
I am in canada right now on my visitor visa. I landed here in july and have 6 months entry.

Now i want to apply my student permit while staying in canada like you did though i have few queries.
1. Did you apply online or paper. If paper then dis you sens your passport along.
2. In dec i will be done with my 6 months entry. If student permit takes more time will my visitor status be harmed.

3. If they call me for bio metric or medical. Do i need to visit los angls office for it. As i wont be having th passport after i apply.

4. If i apply from within canada. Do i put the canadian address or receiving my passport back. If yes then how do i put the entery stamp on my passport after i receive it in mail.

Please respond as i have to apply by next week.

Muzsub

Sep 22, 2015
Hi hassan

You mentioned you got a call for bio metric and medical. You said you applied online from with in canada. How did you manage to give your bio metric in the usa the uscis nearest one.

You had your passport on you at this stage and you travelled from canada to us for bio metric and medical.

D.Hassan

Aug 28, 2015
Hi Muzsub,
Sorry for my late reply, I applied online as it is faster, you will always have your passport with you. You will just need a US visa so you can enter US. I am living in Kingston, ON, so Syracuse was the nearest place where I gave my biometrics, there is no need to go to Los Angeles. You can give it to the nearest USCIS. That was written in the instruction letter of biometrics. The medical test is done by a physician in Canada from the physician lists approved by Canada immigration. I have called several offices to get the nearest appointment, my medical examination was in Ottawa. While you are searching for a physician, select one that gonna send your exams electronically. It will be faster, it will take around 5 days to be on the system.
When you receive the approval letter you will need to cross the borders of Canada with US to get the study permit.
You can extend your visitor visa online after 5 months from entry.

Another thing, I applied for the study permit TWICE, first time was from inside Canada and it was refused because I wasn't eligible to apply from inside Canada. If you are going to apply online, you will answer some questions to check your eligibility. So be CAREFUL while answering those questions as I gave a wrong answer in one and it cost me time and money.

Muzsub

Sep 22, 2015
hello thanks for the help.

Im still confused if you could please guide me.
i m in canada right now on visitor. when i fill in the eligibility and type my current country of residence it does not let me apply study permit online but when i answer it by putting usa it lets me apply.
so now i want to know can i apply online while staying in canada or i have to go sit in usa and file it online.

did you apply online in while with in Canada. what did you write in eligibility test that was the wrong answer.
is there any option to select LA office to file the study permit.
did you apply online from canada and then just went for bio metric and came back, waited for the approval and then crossed borders again to come back from the port of entry.

im in real confusion.

Thanks

Muzsub

Sep 22, 2015
Hello
i have one more thing to know. i am in canada as a visitor with multiple entry visitor visa. Now should i apply only the study permit or the new trv too. what did you do while you were in canada did you apply new trv with study permit too.

If no then is the bio metric the requirement of study permit or not. as i gave my bio metric for trv that i have. while sitting in canada do they still need bio metric for study permit. and for that i will have to go usa.

you applied twice. how come you werent eligible for the first time to apply online from with in canada. what did you change in your case to become eligible to apply from with in canada.

the cic lady told me i can not while siiting in canada, apply online. i have to go to usa and then apply online. which doesnot makes sense to me. she says only paper mail can be done while sitting in canada.

thanks

D.Hassan

Aug 28, 2015
Hi,
I applied online from Canada but I mentioned that I am in the US for the eligibility questions. The Los Angeles office is responsible for the online study permit automatically. You don't need to go to the US to apply online and the CIC office told me that. I went the US for the biometrics and returned in the same day. And when my study permit was approved I crossed the borders and turned back to just take the study permit paper. I didn't need to apply for the trv as I have a valid visit visa with multi-entry so I think you won't need to apply too.
I don't remember the question, I think I wasn't being attention while answering the eligibility questions. Because when I repeated for the second time I found myself not eligible to apply from inside Canada.

Muzsub

Sep 22, 2015
Hello

Thank you for the info. Its very useful. i was only going to go USA to apply online.
So as you mentioned you stayed inside Canada but in the eligibility question you mentioned usa. I know as otherwise it doesnot lets you apply if you put canada in it. But isnt it faking your current country of residence as when you put canada in that it says you are not eligible to apply and when you put usa it only lets you apply then.
Please tell me that while filling the form. in one section they ask about your current residence country and from when to when you staying there.
what did you put in that. did you writes USA in that too or you wrote canada and mentioned from when to when. Also did you appply extension on visit visa.

You went for biometrics to usa neartest but din thet ask you while returning back to canada the reason for returning. Did you mention you are coming in canada to wait for the decision.

Thanks your info is very useful.

Muzsub

Sep 22, 2015
what current address did you put in the form and the duration of stay. was it canadian or american address.

D.Hassan

Aug 28, 2015
I wrote that my current residence is Canada and duration was the visit visa dates. I applied for the visa extension once before and it was online.
At the borders I told them about the biometrics, they might see your biometrics letter as a proof.
It was my Canadian home address, and the duration of stay was my study period that mentioned in the offer received from the University.
You must provide the right information in your application to avoid any delays. You are not the only case applying from outside Canada while living in Canada as I was always telling myself :)
So keep calm

Muzsub

Sep 22, 2015
Hello

I know bro im thinking too much.

im sorry to ask for more details as you have already answered. i want to know finally two thing.
1. did you apply for extension before you applied the study permit.
2. you mentioned in the form you wrote visit visa duration but then you mentioned you wrote study visa duration.
which dates you wrote out of these two. i mean if it was visit visa dates. do you mean the 6 months extension dates to stay in canada or the total length of visa until its valid.

is extension an easy process or do i have to attach sponsors letter from canada to file an extension.

Thank you bro. your info has been really guiding me.

karatepu

Aug 4, 2015
Hello!

I have the same problem: I am in Canada and I have been accepted by a college, therefore as you suggested I looked up the VAC-LA
Starting dates of my course is in January, but I need help from your experiences.

Should I gather all the required documents (for who is in USA in the CIC website) in paper and send directly to the VAC-LA and also my original passport!?
Should I put my Canadian address in the form?

Thank you! I am really confused!

D.Hassan

Aug 28, 2015
Hi Muzsub,
I didn't mean anything, I don't want anyone to feel worried as I did with my visa.
I came to Canada a year ago and after six months I applied for an extension and that was on Feb. 2015. Then I travelled to my country on May and I entereId canada on June so I didn't apply again for extension.

In the form as I remember they asked about my current status in Canada and a date ( from and to), so O wrote I am Visitor visa and I provide the total length of visa until it is valid. And they also asked about the duration that you intend to stay till you finish your studies, here I wrote the study visa duration.

For the visa extension:
My husband is a PHD student so I attached his offer that shows his study period and a letter from his supervisor.

Another thing, when you are filling your application it is important to see the instruction guide it is on cic website at the same place you get your application, so you won't write something wrong.

Whenever you need to ask about anything, don't hesitate.

D.Hassan

Aug 28, 2015
Hi Karatepu,
It is easier to apply online as the paper application takes more time. You don't need to send your Passport. You must keep it with you as they might need your biometrics or to arrange an interview, so you will need to travel to US with your passport. You will always keep it with you.

When they send the approval letter for the study permit, you will take that letter and your passport then cross the borders to get your study permit at the borders.

karatepu

Aug 4, 2015
Hi! Thank you for your reply!
Ok, so I will go to New York in the next weeks because I have never been there and I want to visit the Big Apple, while I am there, I will apply online claiming that I am in The Usa.
In the form I will put my address of my citizenship. Correct?

D.Hassan

Aug 28, 2015
Hi Karatepu,
If you are planning to visit the US, I suggest you shall apply before travelling by two weeks. Because you will have to give your biometrics in a USCIS office in the US. So it will be a good chance to travel and give your biometrics too.
About the address, you must provide your home address that you are living in, even if it's in Canada. They will check all the information you provide so they must be right.