+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit in Los Angeles

izzycat

Jul 8, 2015
hi,

I'm an American who applied for a visa for a school in BC (UBC) through the LA office

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I'm allowed to visit Canada as a tourist with my passport while my study permit is processing. I applied for my permit in the beginning of July and the estimated wait time is 5 weeks (meaning it'll probably be done the first or second week of August if it takes the full 5 weeks.. I want to enter Canada on August 1 as a tourist to visit with friends before the school year starts (would be going regardless even if visa is declined for whatever reason). Is this not a good idea?

If I can, what happens if it is approved while I'm visiting in Canada?

I know you can travel while waiting for a PR application to be processed but don't know if it's different for students. I emailed the LA office to ask, but it's been a while and haven't got a response so I'm asking here now!

scholar201

Jul 13, 2013
I applied online study permit on 3 August 2015 from US (Los Angels Visa Office most probably). Biometrics on 4 Aug.
I have received email today from CIC that my application has been updated. When I go to my CIC account there are no new messages and status of my application is still open. It is strange for me. Does anyone know why is it so? ............Please reply.

NETRAJ

Aug 22, 2015
hi

My study permit processing time was 6 weeks to LA. Now my status is Application Processing Complete . If someone can tell me what is APPLICATION PROCESSING COMPLETE .

THANKS

scholar201

Jul 13, 2013
Hi Netraj,

I believe final decision on your application has been made. However, can you answer my below questions:

1. how did you apply? online/paper
2. application date?
3. Your place of residence? US or Canada
4. Didn't you receive any email form CIC that "your information has been updated. Login to GCKey to check the status of your application?"

If you have applied online then check status of your application after signing into your GCKey account.

Good luck. Awaiting your answers.

fernendez

Sep 26, 2010
Has anyone's visa been recently approved at the LA office? Did you guys apply online and what was the processing time?

Blessings1

Aug 28, 2015
Hi anyone in Canada on a visitor visa and applied for study permit at LA? Did you have to do biometrics? if yes, did you have to physically go to Los Angeles? Really need to know if there is another way of getting this done at a Canada border or so.

denisfootix

Jun 11, 2015
Hi, can someone help me? I'm applying at the same Visa Office for the same Permit (Study), all I have to do is pay the VISA FEE and send everything to them. How can I pay this VISA FEE? Should I make an money order and send to the same P.O. Box of the money order for the VAC Fee? Please someone help me, they only give me terrible answers by E-Mail, that is just an Copy and Paste from their website, but I really didnt understood HOW do I pay.

D.Hassan

Aug 28, 2015
Hi, I applied online for the study permit 6 weeks ago, I have done the biometrics and the medical examination but still no updates. My classes will begin after a week from now. Any suggestions.

D.Hassan

Aug 28, 2015
Blessings1 said:
Hi anyone in Canada on a visitor visa and applied for study permit at LA? Did you have to do biometrics? if yes, did you have to physically go to Los Angeles? Really need to know if there is another way of getting this done at a Canada border or so.
Yes I received a letter to do the biometrics, you don't have to go to Los Angeles, I gave my biometrics in USCIS office in Syracuse, US where it was the nearest one for me.

scholar201

Jul 13, 2013
Dear D. Hassan and Hassan89 please share your timelines. What are the updates on your application? Did you guys applied while staying in US or Canada?

Was your application paper based or online?

My classes are commencing since 8 September, but still no update from CIC on my visa application.

I received medical request. But had a very bad experience with doctor who made mistake while typing my last name and delayed the report for 17 days. Anyways waiting to hear update on your applications. Good luck.

D.Hassan

Aug 28, 2015
Hi all, I finally received my study permit. I applied online while staying in Canada. Hope you will get your study permits soon :)