+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit in Los Angeles

ysoooslow

Oct 30, 2015
I applied online on Sept. 3 and haven't got any updates whatsoever. Anyone else applied around that time? Pls share your timelines?

happy77

Aug 14, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
14/09/2016
Med's Done....
09/09/2016
Passport Req..
10-10-2017
Hi, D.Hassan. I have some questions. Where did you find the USCIS near the place your live? I put USCIS in Google and it only appears Inmigration Services but related with US, not with Canada.
Didn't you have any problem in the border?
What did you do in the USCIS agency? just show your passport or anything more, like put your fingerprints?
When you send your papers online, did you write a study plan explaining your reason for chosing your studies?
Thank you very much D.Hassan

D.Hassan said:
Hi Karatepu,
If you are planning to visit the US, I suggest you shall apply before travelling by two weeks. Because you will have to give your biometrics in a USCIS office in the US. So it will be a good chance to travel and give your biometrics too.
About the address, you must provide your home address that you are living in, even if it's in Canada. They will check all the information you provide so they must be right.

cat89

Jul 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2015
Doc's Request.
15-10-2015
Med's Done....
Passed 26-02-2016 (after re-assessment)
Interview........
Paid RPRF 08-12-2015
Passport Req..
16-03-2016
Can anyone please tell me how to pay the 40$USD VAC Fee?
On their website it says to send a cert. cheque to some lockbox in Utah?

and for the $150 CIC Fee can I just pay that online thru CIC or is it paid separately?

Please explain on how to pay both fees!

Thanks!

kemilayo

Dec 28, 2015
cat89 said:
Can anyone please tell me how to pay the 40$USD VAC Fee?
On their website it says to send a cert. cheque to some lockbox in Utah?

and for the $150 CIC Fee can I just pay that online thru CIC or is it paid separately?

Please explain on how to pay both fees!

Thanks!
Are you applying online on the Paper route? I am sure if you are applying to the LA office online you only need to pay CAN$150 for the application and CAN$85 for biometrics.

Has anyone submitted an online application to the Los Angeles office recently? Can you let us know your timelines?

Regards

kemilayo

Dec 28, 2015
ysoooslow said:
I applied online on Sept. 3 and haven't got any updates whatsoever. Anyone else applied around that time? Pls share your timelines?
Hi,
Have you gotten a reply yet?

emmysaint

Jan 22, 2016
I want to apply for a Canadian Study permit in Los Angeles, USA. I am presently in Nigeria but I want to travel to Los Angeles, USA in April 2016 to apply for the Canadian Study permit with all my documents. Please how do I go about this because I plan to stay just 3 weeks in USA and my hope is that I will get my Study Permit before departing the USA. My school Resumes in August 2016. Please I need an advice on how to achieve this. Also do I apply online or paper based or drive through Canadian border while I am in USA or before coming to USA. Awaiting your kind replies.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
emmysaint said:
I want to apply for a Canadian Study permit in Los Angeles, USA. I am presently in Nigeria but I want to travel to Los Angeles, USA in April 2016 to apply for the Canadian Study permit with all my documents. Please how do I go about this because I plan to stay just 3 weeks in USA and my hope is that I will get my Study Permit before departing the USA. My school Resumes in August 2016. Please I need an advice on how to achieve this. Also do I apply online or paper based or drive through Canadian border while I am in USA or before coming to USA. Awaiting your kind replies.
Three weeks is not enough time to apply for a study permit. You need to submit your application to the visa office responsible for your home country.

qxoil

Feb 25, 2010
hi guys.
i need some info regarding my biometrics. my cousin is pakistani national he is in canada on a visitor visa. he got an offer letter from a canadian univeristy and he applied online study permit (LA canadian consulate). after submitting his application. he got an email to submit his biometircs. we were going to usa from waterloo to application support centre in detroit. but he was refused entery at usa land border.
my question is can he submit his biometircs in pakistan. or any other place . he got uk valid visa .
please reply thanks

y-axisoverseas

Dec 16, 2015
Before applying for a study permit at a Canadian visa office, you must first get a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).

Once you have your acceptance letter, you can complete and submit an application for a study permit.

For a new study permit, you can apply:
• from your home country or another country where you are lawfully admitted, or
• in person or by mail at the Visa Application Centre in Los Angeles.
Also, you may be able to apply for a study permit from within Canada to attend a designated learning institution if you are a:
• minor child studying at the primary or secondary level;
• visiting or exchange student; or
• student who has completed a short-term course or program of study that is a pre-requisite for acceptance at a designated learning institution.
In some cases, you are allowed to study without a permit. For more information, see:
• Study in Canada – Exceptions

I wish you good luck.

qxoil

Feb 25, 2010
hi fernenedez,
thanks for your reply. are you sure about it. i think the same they just need to scan your letter and take ur finger prints and photo...

Jkcp

Mar 6, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am currently in Canada and is planning to send a study permit application to VAC Los Angeles. Are they going to require me to be in the US (for passport, interview, etc)? I am just worried because I do not have a US visa if ever they ask me to appear there.

Thanks!

ElmTree

Star Member
Dec 31, 2014
Hello guys. Interesting conversations regarding processing times and biometrics etc. I can comment on biometrics here in case that is of benefit to anyone, and then I have a question of my own regarding processing times in LA.

Actually, here's the question going first: We applied online for a Canadian study permit (my wife), open work permit (I), and TRV (our toddler) while living in California (LA Visa Office). Our country of citizenship is Pakistan and we're in US as I work for the State of California. The website said processing time is 5 weeks in LA (down from 6 weeks when checked a few months ago). It's been 8 weeks now and no decision yet. The application system online shows medical as "passed" we haven't gotten a decision. Anyone else facing delays from LA consulate? How representative are their processing times?

Our experience with the biometrics: It was pretty straight forward and easy (if I exclude the baby crying time while driving to the biometric centre). We received the biometric information request letter from CIC within 3 days of online application. The letter said that we can go to either the VAC in LA for biometrics or to our nearest US Citizenship and Immigration Center (USCIS) who would be able to collect the info on CIC's behalf. Our nearest USCIS was Oxnard between LA and Santa Barbara. We chose to go a different USCIS northbound to Fresno which was a lot farther as compared to Oxnard. The USCIS staff there was quite helpful (a bit cocky but certainly helpful. They meant business and got on with their job pretty well). The lady there looked at our CIC letter which had a specific barcode meant for USCIS. She scanned it and then did some kaboom magic on her machine which popped our record on her screen. She took photos of my wife and me, and scanned our fingerprints on a machine (LiveScan). Baby was pardoned. The whole process took an hour (including 50 minutes in the queue).

I guess what I am trying to say is that don't be surprised at US and Canadian immigration agencies cooperating with each other for this. Apparently they share data and do work on each other's behalf.