+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

study permit change of learning institution

memo1212

Star Member
Jan 5, 2020
I came as an ESL student to a college, however I was accepted to do a Master in a university later. so I quit ESL to go to the university to do master.
I think I will be able to change the learning institution by myself.
however I had a remark on my study permit that I am not allowed to work until ESL is completed.

what do I do now to remove that remark from my study permit?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I came as an ESL student to a college, however I was accepted to do a Master in a university later. so I quit ESL to go to the university to do master.
I think I will be able to change the learning institution by myself.
however I had a remark on my study permit that I am not allowed to work until ESL is completed.

what do I do now to remove that remark from my study permit?
Did you change DLI? Did you inform IRCC that you changed schools prior to starting your studies? If you didn’t then your college would have had to inform IRCC to cancel your study permit.

To change conditions on your study permit, you have to go online and do so. You have to show that your ESL program was completed as that was the condition.

memo1212

Star Member
Jan 5, 2020
I did not finish ESL program. I quit that because I was accepted in Master in French studies. so I use French for my study. and they accepted by BA degree from the university of Damascus.
I want to get rid of that remark on my study permit to be able to work. but I dont know what is the way to do so.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I did not finish ESL program. I quit that because I was accepted in Master in French studies. so I use French for my study. and they accepted by BA degree from the university of Damascus.
I want to get rid of that remark on my study permit to be able to work. but I dont know what is the way to do so.
You would need to apply for a new study permit if you didn't complete at least one semester / term of the ESL / college program.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So did you just start the program without informing IRCC? Did you complete at least a semester? If you didn’t finish the program then you cannot change DLI. The college may already have informed IRCC to cancel your permit. You need to apply for a new study permit. Hopefully you didn’t start your studies as you are studying without a permit.

You have bigger issues then just changing the remark on your study permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

memo1212

Star Member
Jan 5, 2020
can you please show me a rule that I must apply for a new study permit in case I did not finish at least one semester of my ESL program??? I did not find anything like that on the IRCC website.
with respect to you and love

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
can you please show me a rule that I must apply for a new study permit in case I did not finish at least one semester of my ESL program??? I did not find anything like that on the IRCC website.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

It's how IRCC applies the "actively studying while you're in Canada" rule. You need to complete at least one term / semester of the program to meet the criteria of "actively studying while you're in Canada". Otherwise you need to apply for a brand new study permit to switch DLIs.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. Have you started the Masters program and not even informed IRCC? If you have not when did you start the program? If you have not, then you are studying without a permit. As I have stated repeatedly, the college must inform IRCC that you withdrew from the program to cancel your permit.
2. To change DLI - the condition is that you must be ”actively studying” at the DLI before changing DLIs. It is right on the IRCC website. Actively studying means completing a semester or the ESL program. Instead, you withdrew and then started a new program.

memo1212

Star Member
Jan 5, 2020
Application to Change Conditions, Extend my stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709]

I want to apply this form IMM 5709, because I am asking for a change in conditions.

I already have an account with IRCC. though, how do I start an application to change the conditions, form IMM 5709?
I am unable of finding the questionnaire that usually takes me to a customized check list.

memo1212

Star Member
Jan 5, 2020
do I need to get something called an IRCC portal account?? even though I already have an account with IRCC that I have my old application ( study permit ) in it.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Application to Change Conditions, Extend my stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709]

I want to apply this form IMM 5709, because I am asking for a change in conditions.

I already have an account with IRCC. though, how do I start an application to change the conditions, form IMM 5709?
I am unable of finding the questionnaire that usually takes me to a customized check list.
Why are you submitting 5709? You need to apply for a new study permit. 5709 is to extend your study permit to stay in Canada.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It says some where that it is ( to change conditions)..
That is to extend your study permit. You need a new study permit because you changed DLI without completing the conditions of your study permit. You should be checking with IRCC if your permit was cancelled as the DLI on your permit must inform IRCC if you dropped out.