+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting small second hand car trading business

sarimraza

May 23, 2012
Dear All

I wish to start slow.

Initially i would just like to go to car auction and buy a used car -- i would use some mechanics to upgrade it, advertise for it on net etc and then sell from my home

Later ill grow this and will need space for 5-10 cars

Now there are questions . .

1. Will this be called a business and do i need to register a company and apply for any licence ?

2. For show room space with small parking lot i guess ill have to find a place on rent per month.

In short for this car trading business what sort of paperwork and fees for licenses etc do i need ?

I understand my investment is only going to be the CARS, and later if i BUY the showroom land area instead of renting it ..

Is there any thing else i need to know ?

Is there a market in SAUGA where most of this car show rooms are located or are they scattered ?

Thanks

littlekyle

Star Member
Jun 28, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
May-2012
Hi,

A friend of mine does the similar business in Ottawa as you described. He is a good mechanician and sold 5-6 cars a year as scond job and does not register the business.

To be safe, it's better not to rent space but try your idea of buying second hand car, upgrading and selling to test the market before go further.

Any way, it's not expensive and it does not take much time to register sole-proprietorship.

Hope it could help.

Rgds,

Mike_Thompson

Dec 6, 2012
sarimraza said:
Dear All

I wish to start slow.

Initially i would just like to go to car auction and buy a used car -- i would use some mechanics to upgrade it, advertise for it on net etc and then sell from my home

1. Will this be called a business and do i need to register a company and apply for any licence ?

2. For show room space with small parking lot i guess ill have to find a place on rent per month.

In short for this car trading business what sort of paperwork and fees for licenses etc do i need ?

I understand my investment is only going to be the CARS, and later if i BUY the showroom land area instead of renting it ..

Is there a market in SAUGA where most of this car show rooms are located or are they scattered ?

Thanks
http://w ww.omvic.on.ca/info/faqs/dealer_registration_faqs.htm

Once you plan to sell used cars you need a used car dealers license by law. You can buy 1, fix it up and do a private sale etc. to start off.

There are lots of car show rooms in most major cities and Mississauga has a bunch. It's all about price and quality along with the reliability of the type of vehicle. No one wants to get duped into buying a lemon. Read up on that link and good luck

MrsHelper

Dec 10, 2012
sarimraza said:
Dear All

I wish to start slow.

Thanks
I'd advise you to buy cars from the US, and drive them through Buffalo. As card in Canada are really expensive and the cars in US are much cheaper such as mustangs.

Best of luck xx

Mary32

Mar 5, 2013
Your plan is good sarim. Existing car business is nice because the car is only one which is everyone's need and people will never stop in buying cars so i must suggest you and i best wishes are with you to start it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
MrsHelper said:
I'd advise you to buy cars from the US, and drive them through Buffalo. As card in Canada are really expensive and the cars in US are much cheaper such as mustangs.

Best of luck xx
You do realize this won't work? You will have to pay duties and taxes on any cars purchased in the US and then driven across the border to Buffalo. By the time you do that, the price will be more or less the same as if you had purchased the car in Canada.

Insurance-Broker

Apr 1, 2013
GTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think you will get any credibility, selling from home. That being said, you can start off by selling a car or two privately and once you get some sort of understanding than start your business.

You can rent space from existing dealers/garage owners.

Register yourself as a used car dealer. Licence and insurance would also be required to operate your business.

Good luck