+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Open Work permit

ind23

Jan 29, 2013
ind23 said:
Hi All Fellow Members:
I am a PGWP Holder (Valid till Aug-2016) working in skilled Category "B" for a one of Canada's most reputed firm since last 6 months, I got married 2 weeks ago. My Wife is in India, and It is arranged marriage. She is well educated and working for a company based in Coimbatore as a office admin.

My annual salary is $70K CAD, and her annual salary in India is INR 2.6Lac. She has 1yr-4months of working experience. We just came from a honeymoon tour from Maldive.
Now I want to apply for SOWP. If someone can asses my case here, and suugest me to how to make my case stronger to get a work permit for her would be highly appreciable :

Docs I have now:
1. My PGWP (Valid till Aug 2016)
2. Letter from my Employer - Clearly Stating my position with Noc Code falls under B category, skills, duties, pay and benefits(also my spouse will be covered).
3. Pay Slips
4. Marriage Certificate
5. Photos of marriage ceremony, and trip log of honeymoon

Docs My Wife has:
1. Academic credentials till her Masters
2. Letter from her employer stating her position, skills and pay.
3. Her bank statements (Balance around 3 Lacs INR)

Her Travel History: She only traveled to Maldvies on a tourist visa, stays there for a week with me.
Home Ties: Nothing much only current job and deposits in her Saving bank account.

Please someone guide me, if I am missing any documents here, or any other docs which I can attach to make file more stronger and genuine. Your suggestions will be highly appreciable. Thank you all. Good Luck all here.
Any one please help me in this regards.

Caimi

Star Member
Dec 23, 2013
Spouse Open Work permit - dilemma continues

Dear members,

While I have tried to go through all the posts on this forum but unfortunately have not got a conclusive response to my dilemma regarding SOWP

My Spouse has got a Company transfer work permit (Closed WP) from a reputed employer in Canada and I have been issued a TRV on that behalf.

Which is a better option:

1. Should I apply for SOWP after landing in Canada ? .... Opportunity cost of leaving a good settled job in India immediately

OR

2. Should I apply for SOWP from India and travel only after I have work permit ? I heard processing time is higher for SOWP from India ....

Need your expert advice on pros & cons of both the options above - processing time, any reason for rejection from India, opportunity cost etc

Thanks a ton in advance,
caimi

Ben0101

Star Member
Oct 11, 2013
Hi Caimi:

In my opinion please go on ur TRV and then apply for WP in Canada.
1. The OWP - S takes longer in India
2. WP is faster more systematic and you can call the call center in canada and get exact details on ur application status. That is not an opttion at all if u apply in India.

Very imp - since u will be with ur husband u will not get so frustrated with the waiting...

Thanks,
ben

Caimi

Star Member
Dec 23, 2013
Ben0101 said:
Hi Caimi:

In my opinion please go on ur TRV and then apply for WP in Canada.
1. The OWP - S takes longer in India
2. WP is faster more systematic and you can call the call center in canada and get exact details on ur application status. That is not an opttion at all if u apply in India.

Very imp - since u will be with ur husband u will not get so frustrated with the waiting...

Thanks,
ben

Thank you Ben. Appreciate your inputs.
I am in a situation that I need to give notice to my current employer (2 months) in India before leaving so I cannot travel along with my spouse. In that case would you advice to apply from India?

Request other members also for your inputs if you have specific experience of applying for SOWP from India vs Canada (already with TRV but currently in India)

Might be a silly question but what is the difference between applying for SOWP from India vs Canada if it has to be done Online?

1. Does my address and contact no. identify if I have applied from India vs Canada or my travel status in the system ?
2. Once my spouse is there in Canada and I am in India, If I apply giving his address/contact no., then would it be considered as applying from Canada since required docs need to be uploaded online only.

Thanks again for your help.

Caimi

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Applying online doesn't mean your application is processed INSIDE Canada.

Rather, you application is still most likely processed at the embassy you are entitited and legally residing at i.e. either country of citizenship or the country you have been approved entry for at least a year. This means it excludes being on visit visa status.

Though a trv that is approved being a spouse of a temp work permit holder might be a different case AND THEY Might entertain the application as "Application submitted INSIDE CANADA" and process at the corresponding speed.

Otherwise, people would just go to Canada on visit visa and apply from there and get processed at the speed of INSIDE Canda, which is not the case.

Caimi

Star Member
Dec 23, 2013
fkl said:
Though a trv that is approved being a spouse of a temp work permit holder might be a different case AND THEY Might entertain the application as "Application submitted INSIDE CANADA" and process at the corresponding speed.
Thanks Mr fkl for your response. I believe I understand your inputs but still to clarify.....from above you imply that

Since I would be submitting an online SOWP application (with approved TRV), it might be considered as "Application submitted INSIDE CANADA" irrespective of if I submit from India or Canada ?

Does the address details / contact nos etc matter at the time of online application since I can either give my India address or my Spouse's Canada address ?

I am sorry if the query sounds confusing.

regards,
Caimi

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Caimi said:
Thanks Mr fkl for your response. I believe I understand your inputs but still to clarify.....from above you imply that

Since I would be submitting an online SOWP application (with approved TRV), it might be considered as "Application submitted INSIDE CANADA" irrespective of if I submit from India or Canada ?

Does the address details / contact nos etc matter at the time of online application since I can either give my India address or my Spouse's Canada address ?

I am sorry if the query sounds confusing.

regards,
Caimi
Having an approved TRV doesn't impact this. However, if your spouse moved to Canada and applies while being there and already living on trv but one that is issued being spouse of work permit holder, then her application submitted there might be treated as application submitted inside Canada. Your current addresses would definitely be then those of inside Canada.

Normally one being on a trv, considering equivalent to a visit visa is not eligible for applying from inside Canada.

If you apply online for SOWP while your spouse is in India then it will be processed in India whether or not you already hold a trv or not. Applying online doesn't change the location, your current permanent residence place does. If that is Canada i.e. you (and your spouse) are currently in canada on a non visitor status (legal wording of CIC is 'legally admitted for at least a year' (which means normal trv doesnt hold since it is only valid for six months in a single visit)

Also it is your spouse who applies herself. You dont apply on her bahalf or any thing. So husband being in Canada doesn't mean he can apply for his spouse inside Canada. It is the spouse who applies from her current residence (india or Canada - where ever she currently is) and processed accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Caimi

Star Member
Dec 23, 2013
fkl said:
Also it is your spouse who applies herself. You dont apply on her bahalf or any thing. So husband being in Canada doesn't mean he can apply for his spouse inside Canada. It is the spouse who applies from her current residence (india or Canada - where ever she currently is) and processed accordingly.
Hope that helps.
Thanks. That was really helpful.

It is almost clear now that it would be more fruitful if I apply for SOWP after landing in Canada.

Now the original question, would request members to share a recent SOWP experience from India.

1. What is the processing time in New Delhi?
2. Any possible reason for rejection of SOWP when all proof requirements are being met?

Or still members would advice me to travel to canada and then apply because of lower processing time and more certainity.

Though I am more inclined to apply from India because anyways it is going to take me 1.5 to 2 months before I travel to Canada.

Any experience with local immigration consultants in New Delhi on SOWP? I doubt if consultants can really guide on SOWP even with fees....... your thoughts?

Thank you so much.
caimi

Ben0101

Star Member
Oct 11, 2013
XYZSAN said:
Hi i also want to know some valuable information from u people

I got married last year may 2011, after 10 days my husband left to canada toronto on his work permit. then after in the month of june we have applied for trv. but it got rejected. after that my husband workpermit is going to expire in november. so we could not apply for trv again. then in the March 2012 he got his workpermit again..and it is valid for 2013 march. then in april we have for trv as visitor but it got rejected again...Now we came to know that...there is open workpermit option for wife if your husband on workpermit... My husband work comes under O,A,B. i mean i am applicable to apply for spousal workpermit

Please any one let me know what is the processing time for open workpermit ...pls help me
Sorry to hear about ur rejected. U are eligible for OWP - spousal. TRV is a rejection most of the times. Since you have already waited so long. I would suggest, let ur Husband get his woork permit extended and then you apply for OWP -S.
Most likely u will get it.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben0101

Star Member
Oct 11, 2013
Hi Caimi:
Here is my opinion.
I am not too sure about applying for TRV. I have had 2 rejections in the past due to TRV, and the online forums show that its a bad idea to go with TRV.
If I was you, I would apply for OWP - S from India. about processing time, an additional wait for 1 - 1.5 mnt is better than the torture of a rejected TRV.

- Ben

vizag_canada

Star Member
Nov 28, 2010
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-dec-2010
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
-
AOR Received.
-
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
-
Med's Request
-
Med's Done....
13 dec 2010
Interview........
--waived--
Passport Req..
--waived--
VISA ISSUED...
14/jan/2011
LANDED..........
21/jan/2011
Hello Guys

As my wife was just approved a open work permit visa based on my WP. She only got the passport sticker ( which is just used to travel). Do you think she would be getting the actual WP paper printed when she arrive at the airport in canada ??

If so, What kind of questions they will ask her at that time ?? Can anyone help on this ?

Thanks

Ben0101

Star Member
Oct 11, 2013
Harjindersingh22 -

since ur inbox was full here is the reply:

Hi

Not sure on where to attach online, as i had submitted paper application in INDIA. As long as u r applying for OWP - S ur letter from current employer and your bank stmt. As long as its a full time decent paying job it should not be rejected. Family ties as a reason is bullshit. I think the only reason that makes sense is ur current employment status. As long as u explain in detail about ur job condition it should be fine. Also, please attach ur LMO.
Thanks,
Ben

jgelbolingo

Sep 14, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-01-2014
Doc's Request.
03-April-2013 - NBI submitted
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
27-01-2014
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
24-02-2014
Med's Done....
14-03-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2014
LANDED..........
20-05-2014
priyum521 said:
Hi There,

Since you are in India and TRV got rejected twice, I would suggest you to apply for Open Work Permit from India.

-priyum
Hi Priyum521

I really need your help. I am presently here in Ontario working as Caregiver under the Live in Caregiver Program. My husband is in the Philippines right now. I will be submitting the application of my husband for work permit via online. He will be working as Welder in Alberta under the Pilot Project which does not require an LMO. The only documents required to be exempted with the LMO and will be put into the Alberta Pilot Project for Higher trade skills is the Approval Letter from Alberta Apprenticeship & Industry Training office, Job contract and Job offer from his employer. We already have those documents. I just want to know if I can be included as a spouse that will come along with my husband for the application for work permit, so I can also be issued with an open work permit even though I am working as a live in caregiver in Ontario under the Live in caregiver program, will this be possible? Once my husband is approved with the work permit, will the open work permit will be mailed to me?

I am not just so sure about filling up the form of the correct info, as these are the forms that was provided to me when I took the wizard tool. I dont' know if the form for Visa application for my husband is included on the list.

For Principal Applicant (My Husband)
1. Application for Work Permit Made Outside of Canada ( IMM1295)
1. Marriage Certificate
2. Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual IMM5475
3. Family Information IMM5645
4 cv/RESUME
5. Representative's Submission Letter
6. Passport
7. Letter from Current Employer ( just don't know if this is redundant to number 10)
8. Proof that you meet the Requirements of the Job being offered.
9. Proof of Relationship
10. Employemnt Reference Letter
11. Use of a Family Member Representative for Online Applications IMM5713
12. Offer of Employment
13. Employment Contract
14. Digital Photo

Family Member (For me)
1. Application to change Conditions, Extend my Stay or remain in Canada as a Worker IMM5710
2. Passport

Just really need help. Will be appreciated

can854

Oct 21, 2013
Hi all members here:

Any idea what is current processing time at NDVO for Work Permit(Spouse) application.
At CIC site it says 4months. somewhere i read its 30 days. Dont know what is the actual one.

And what would be the min. sufficient amount of fund in INR (In savings account and FDs) to show the financial ties with home country. If anyone have any idea about, please share with us.

Thanks.

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
Dear All,
Greetings! Recently I applied my spouse open work permit online. I just want to know the current processing time to get the response from CIC.

Thanks,
Kalpan